Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Default So is a Black baby born today already at a disadvantage?

What do you guys think? Are they already at a disadvantage in their life due to the color of their skin? Or due to White Privilege?

I happen to think that everyone born today in this country already HAS the advantage over everyone else in the world. Everyone born today is born with a clean slate and has the more opportunities than those who were born yesterday.

What say you? Discuss.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Ben Simmons
Decent college freshman

Default Re: So is a Black baby born today already at a disadvantage?

Everyone has a different level of disadvantage.
Ben Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

A black child with no father in a poor neighborhood with little chance of college surrounded by drug violence is absolutely disadvantaged in comparison to a white kid in a nice neighborhood with college being a certainty.

It has everything to do with money...although my above comment being normal is why black skin is stereotyped a certain way. Rap music isn't helping them in terms of stereotypes either.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Lord P
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
What do you guys think? Are they already at a disadvantage in their life due to the color of their skin? Or due to White Privilege?

I happen to think that everyone born today in this country already HAS the advantage over everyone else in the world. Everyone born today is born with a clean slate and has the more opportunities than those who were born yesterday.

What say you? Discuss.
It depends on where you grew up. A black kid who grew up rich in a white suburb arguably has even more of an advantage than his peers. A black kid who grew up in the projects? Almost doomed to fail. That’s the problem, the majority of these kids grow up in poverty and know nothing except drugs and violence. That applies to third world countries as well. You can’t expect an average person to beat the system because simply, they are average. We have a few people like Dr. Ben Carson who were able to rise through the cracks, but expecting everybody to follow his example is unrealistic. But back to the main point, being black can be a big disadvantage at times. Let’s be realistic. If someone were to apply for a simple job at lets say, target, if their name is DeMar Johnson vs someone that is named Walter Smith, I think we can safely assume who is more likely to be discriminated against, especially in the deep south. This can apply to any other race as well, because racism doesn’t just affect blacks. You could even have a case where a black manager doesn’t hire an employee because he’s white, but it would definitely be far less common than the reverse.
Lord P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
A black child with no father in a poor neighborhood with little chance of college surrounded by drug violence is absolutely disadvantaged in comparison to a white kid in a nice neighborhood with college being a certainty.

And on that same note, a white child born in the backwoods of Kentucky to unemployed, drug addicted parents surrounded by poverty and no job prospects is absolutely disadvantaged in comparison to a black kid born to successful parents in an affluent neighborhood.

Only one of those two kids can ride the Affirmative Action train all the way to financial success.

A white kid born in poverty stricken Appalachia is more disadvantaged than a black kid born in the city with easy access to jobs, government agencies, public transportation, health clinics, and grocery stores.

But as Ben Simmons pointed out, everyone is disadvantaged in some way.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

This is a race baiting thread.

Shame on you.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
This is a race baiting thread.

Shame on you.

It doesn't need to be. It's a legitimate question.

To which the answer is..... it depends.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
It doesn't need to be. It's a legitimate question.

To which the answer is..... it depends.

On this message board it is.

Among friends or people who can rationally and respectfully have discourse and potentially agree to disagree, then it is harmless. What was OP's agenda? Doubt it was just a question, especially from Chewing.

Seen too many threads devolve into shitstorms.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
highwhey
SHOOTERS SHOOT

i'm against affirmative action, it does more harm than good. however, if your parents have money and can afford to pay for your college education, please don't brag about "making something out of yourself ". your parents made you, you didn't come out of the slums.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

In a vacuum, all things equal...same exact humans with same exact personality, same exact everything...EXCEPT one has black skin and the other has white skin?

I'd take my chances with the white skin...

Blacks are viewed down on by many, and that can be seen right here in ISH!!! Perhaps it can be argued that a black man has more help getting into college or something, but in the long run, over the decades or career time? The way white skin is viewed is going to open up more doors I think. Or you could say that doors are easier to open with white skin, whatever. Skin color changes perception, that is a FACT. Anyone saying otherwise isn't being realistic.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
In a vacuum, all things equal...same exact humans with same exact personality, same exact everything...EXCEPT one has black skin and the other has white skin?

Blacks are viewed down on by many, and that can be seen right here in ISH!!! Perhaps it can be argued that a black man has more help getting into college or something, but in the long run, over the decades or career time? The way white skin is viewed is going to open up more doors I think. Or you could say that doors are easier to open with white skin, whatever. Skin color changes perception, that is a FACT. Anyone saying otherwise isn't being realistic.

Kinda related, but not really....

I think if you're an attractive looking, well spoken black dude, you have a WAY easier time of getting hired for a job as opposed to a fat, ugly white dude.

I think your overall physical attractiveness has as much to do with being hired as your job skills in certain positions. Sales, for example. Recruiting, for another. My fiance is a recruiter, and all her co-workers are fairly attractive (like 6.5s and above). I don't think that's just a coincidence.

Obviously, a resume wouldn't display your attractiveness but an interview would.

Random side thought.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:

I agree.

I would add though that, like others have said, the culture the child is born into is a better indicator of success, or at least more heavily weighted. A can-do attitude is more effective today than it has ever been.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

I really like the message that Higher Learning tried to send on this subject...

"The Opposing Team" = the white man

The world is an unfair place...not just for blacks but for lots of people. Instead of bitching about the situation and giving up..."run faster". Life is all about overcoming adversity.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
I really like the message that Higher Learning tried to send on this subject...

"The Opposing Team" = the white man

The world is an unfair place...not just for blacks but for lots of people. Instead of bitching about the situation and giving up..."run faster". Life is all about overcoming adversity.

This is why people like Ben Carson have my utmost respect. Statistically, the chances of him being where he is today was 10,000,000 to 1. But he still worked to get there anyway.

And succeeded.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
This is why people like Ben Carson have my utmost respect. Statistically, the chances of him being where he is today was 10,000,000 to 1. But he still worked to get there anyway.

And succeeded.

thats how hard it is for a black man to get into that position. but blacks dont have it harder?
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: