Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Default Re: Audio books vs actually reading them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I think, that, is completely counter productive. Ive tried even instumental music, to go along with my reading.. but it just turns out to be an annoyance that gets in the way of reading concentration.

Maybe personally for you, but I had friends in school that would do this and ace the quiz 100%. And their notes were better than my notes when I actually just read the chapter with silence. God I'm stupid!
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Maybe personally for you, but I had friends in school that would do this and ace the quiz 100%. And their notes were better than my notes when I actually just read the chapter with silence. God I'm stupid!

Yeah.. I guess I mean that for myself, music and reading simultaniously, is not an ideal fit.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I like to have some sounds on when I am reading. But stuff that is not very intrusive. Extended grooves, ambient stuff, those really drawn out soundtracks, some light classical work (chamber music etc), light piano jazz things.

When I really get into a book it sucks me in though, you could talk to me and I won't even hear it.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

I absolutely love audio books, but only if they are read by the right sort of person. For example, I had the US and UK audio version of a Harry Potter book, but I absolutely couldn't stand Jim Dale after listening to Stephen Fry (I'm actually listening to him right now). Some good audio books are the Lord of the Rings (BBC version, although it's abridged so probably not the best), His Dark Materials (the narrator is actually Philip pullman). I've got a host of James bond books on tape (yes, cassette tapes), Narnia, some Redwall stuff.

But I'm not sure which is better, reading or listening. For one thing the book is infinitely cheaper than the audio version, so that's a nice incentive. And a book is also much faster, and you can pick up things like paragraph usage, sentence lengths, punctuation etc.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: