Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

Default After Linsanity: ESPN Feature

Great read.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...ew-york-knicks

This yawning void is why Lin believes that race shapes his reputation as a hapless turnover machine, even though he has cut his rate down from 21.4 percent in New York to 18 percent (through March 24) in LA. And his reputation as painfully one-handed, even though, per Synergy Sports, Lin's drives left in iso situations now rank in the agreeable 56th percentile two years after sitting in the abysmal 12th. "And why, if someone drives by me, it's like, 'Oh, he's a horrible defender, he just doesn't have speed,'" Lin says. That's a fallacy debunked by D'Antoni, who says Lin "was one of the quickest athletes we've ever worked out."

"People just aren't used to seeing Asians do certain things, so it creates a very polarizing effect," Lin concludes. This effect can breed invisibility. As his stock declines, friends argue, nobody seems to care that Lin's 16.2 player efficiency rating is higher than Clarkson's (14.6) and Price's (10.2), and not far behind Kobe's (17.7). But Lin also knows better than anyone how his peak was overhyped -- a celebration of a nonblack hoops hero -- like few others have been. "I might score 20," Lin admits, "and it can look better than the next guy that scores 20."

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: After Linsanity: ESPN Feature

alpha

Decent playground baller

fkin hate this guy

he goes off againt crap teams and helps the lakers win instead of tank

and then he gets locked up in the beginning of the season when we were trying to win and gets nightmares that last for weeks

NBA Legend

Bullshit.

Only the white man has the ability to be racist, and racism only negatively affects blacks.

Period.

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Someone translate that to Chinese. No one outside of Asia cares about Lin.

The polarizing effect is very real. As a half white/asian who grew up playing ball on courts that were predominantly black...you either are great or you suck. There's no middle ground. Luckily, I could ball...but I've seen lesser dudes get straight laughed off the court.

It works both ways though. Linsanity wouldn't have existed if Lin were black or white. And he wouldn't have been getting all the hate, either.

All in all, you can tell that Lin wishes he was just "one of the guys". He probably feels like he doesn't fit in anywhere...on or off the court. It's tough to deal with especially when you're having a bad season.

The thing is...it's like a lot of things in life...the highs aren't as good without the lows. The joy he felt during Linsanity...and especially when he won the game against Toronto...most guys aren't ever going to feel that way. So I consider him lucky, overall.

I'm not worried about Lin...he's got a place in the league whether it be a starter or off the bench. He's already proven he belongs. Now he just has to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouGotServed
    Someone translate that to Chinese. No one outside of Asia cares about Lin.
    And you, apparently.