Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #76
tpols
we already won

Default Re: Is this excessive fines for Drinking and Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Why don't you ask your parents how many times they drove drunk.

It was worse in the 90s

it's not just about driving drunk, its about getting caught, and still persisting.

You would think the shock & penalty of getting caught once would whoop your ass into some sort of shape.

i do agree its been scapegoated to a certain extent though.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #77
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Quote:
You're initial post was informative and respectable. Did you have to edit it to make yourself look like an asshole?

And it was my brother, and no I don't condone it

You don't condone it, but you do think it was excessive - would these fines have been OK to you if he had hit and/or killed someone?

If loosing that kind of money over 7 years completely ruined his life, then he's probably not that smart(which is probably also why he got caught drinking and driving not one or two, but THREE times. It's unlikely too that those were the only three times he drove drunk, so yeah your brother was a dipshit who didn't care about other humans on many occasions. Even after getting caught the 3rd time, he hires a 3K lawyer, couldn't he just have plead guilty for free and take his penalty instead?

And yes, I know someone who got killed by someone driving drunk, I know someone who lost their career not long after receiving an award for being very good at it compared to how young he was, because he got hit. I also knew someone a long time ago who killed his best friends little brother driving drunk and on drugs, but that guy wasn't smart at all, probably like your brother.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #78
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

It's pretty shocking not one person has even acknowledged the fact this happened SEVERAL years ago and has reformed since then. Has not drove drunk ONCE since he was penalized. Are you guys really that ignorant and obvlivious that maybe he did feel like a dipshit and realized what he did was wrong? He payed his penalties? Nobody was harmed?

Yes he's an idiot. But he's corrected those mistakes and suffers the consequences. Which is probably more than most of you have done to overcome your wrongdoings

Unbelievable. How would y'all like something that happened a DECADE ago be brought up and you judged by it? Even AFTER realizing what you did was wrong and served your punishment? Did everything that was asked when being rehabbed.

It's no wonder this world is a shitty place to live because people are so quick to judge without any due process. People have their own conclusions without and due process. It boggles my mind that I did and do condemn what he did yet think I'm ok with his actions. Or that I would actually excuse him for killing someone under the influence. Or the hypocrisy of everyone here condemning him when for damn sure everyone here has driven under the influence. They just happen to not get caught. ONE DRINK can put people under the influence. He wasn't even able to start his car after 1 drink after 2 hours with his immobilizer. Technically you're under the influence even after 12 hours of abstinence of drinking. You don't have to be black out drunk to receive a DUI

But go ahead and continue to make assumptions. We all know everyone here has lived without sin. Got to love the holier than thy attitude.

Last edited by DaHeezy : 11-14-2018 at 10:25 PM.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #79
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
You don't condone it, but you do think it was excessive - would these fines have been OK to you if he had hit and/or killed someone?

Do you really think ANYONE would be OK with killing someone under the influence? Pointing something out like that is asinine

Quote:
If loosing that kind of money over 7 years completely ruined his life, then he's probably not that smart(which is probably also why he got caught drinking and driving not one or two, but THREE times. It's unlikely too that those were the only three times he drove drunk, so yeah your brother was a dipshit who didn't care about other humans on many occasions. Even after getting caught the 3rd time, he hires a 3K lawyer, couldn't he just have plead guilty for free and take his penalty instead?

He was penalized. You think it's a walk in the park having to go through that?
And where's the recognition that he has reformed and he's learned from his mistakes? He paid his dues. He didn't plea innocent. He was advised by the court to hire a lawyer to help through the process. Not to get off.

Quote:
And yes, I know someone who got killed by someone driving drunk, I know someone who lost their career not long after receiving an award for being very good at it compared to how young he was, because he got hit. I also knew someone a long time ago who killed his best friends little brother driving drunk and on drugs, but that guy wasn't smart at all, probably like your brother.

Did you read over the part where I even said I lost a friend from being struck by a drunk driver? Sorry, it happened to your friend, but using that doesn't make you authoritative over this current discussion

Out of curiosity, have you ever had a drink then got behind the wheel? Because that's all it takes nowadays. 0 tolerance. You are impaired even after one drink.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #80
CelticBaller
Killer Instinct

He should’ve gone to jail honestly

Menace to society
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #81
Norcaliblunt
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Most people don't DUI. I don't deserve having to waste time every morning before I can get to work when I've never got a DUI. And of course I am wasting more time before I can drive home. And I now have to figure the trip to the supermarket will need an extra five minutes for no reason. Oh and I have to drop kids and wife off and pick kids and wife up... just no.

First off they have sensors that can read your blood alcohol level right when you touch the steering wheel. So 5 minutes my ass. And even if it did take that long you would rather try your luck with the thousands of people who are out there DUI? Just because you're not driving drunk doesn’t mean you can’t still be killed by some other person.

Your excuse sounds just like the crap people used to say about seat belts. You’re either about saving lives or not. Bottom line.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 AM   #82
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
I don't agree paying annually $900 after the fact fines and penalties. Once you've completed what's agreed upon by the court system then that should be it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding... weren't the annual payments part of the agreed-upon penalties when judgement was made? Did they tack that on after the fact? And if so, when, and what was the reasoning?
MaxFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #83
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding... weren't the annual payments part of the agreed-upon penalties when judgement was made? Did they tack that on after the fact? And if so, when, and what was the reasoning?

They were premiums added on by the insurance company and not ordered by the court. Auto insurance and licensing is government owned
Old 11-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #84
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Quote:
Do you really think ANYONE would be OK with killing someone under the influence? Pointing something out like that is asinine

No, it isn't. All things being equal, if you e.g drink 10 beers and get behind the wheel, the chance of hitting someone is the same each time you have these beers and drive. So no matter if you actually did hit someone or not, the risk you presented to others was the same. That's why I asked the question to point out that the penalty should be dependent on the circumstances, and not not the outcome.

Quote:
He was penalized. You think it's a walk in the park having to go through that?
And where's the recognition that he has reformed and he's learned from his mistakes? He paid his dues. He didn't plea innocent. He was advised by the court to hire a lawyer to help through the process. Not to get off.

No I don't think it's easy, but when you risk other peoples lives like that, even three times over, then you are only getting what is coming to you.

As for the recognition of him having not done it since: The premise of your thread was whether or not he was punished too harshly, not if the rest of us can forgive your brother.
Sure it's good that he's not doing it anymore, but the majority of people never do it so that's kind of where common sense as a person starts for me.
Also again, he got caught THREE times, one should've been enough if he was an reflective and intelligent human being. And also again, he probably drove around after having been drinking a ton of times in that period, because it's so damn unlikely he got caught 100% of the time. Just take a damn taxi.

About the lawyer: fair enough, but can't you get a public defender for that?

Quote:
Did you read over the part where I even said I lost a friend from being struck by a drunk driver? Sorry, it happened to your friend, but using that doesn't make you authoritative over this current discussion

Out of curiosity, have you ever had a drink then got behind the wheel? Because that's all it takes nowadays. 0 tolerance. You are impaired even after one drink.

It's not 0 tolerance where I live, you can have a little bit.

I'll admit I did it once when I was 15 or 16 old kid and going home on a scooter. I felt unsafe while I was doing it and IIRC I did cross a road where I should've stopped and checked for crossing traffic. When I got home I felt pretty bad about it all and said to myself I'd never do that again, and I haven't. I could try and make it better by saying that I drove pretty late at night on mostly very quiet roads(I did), but it was still stupid.

My ex would do this shit sometimes, with our dog in the car, or be in a car with another driver who had been drinking,and it's one of the reasons we're not together anymore - but she's also an unstable alcoholic it turns out. The fken excuses I've heard about this shitty subject in the last two to three years, I'm not having it anymore..

It's great that your brother is not doing it anymore, I just hope he learned a bigger lesson and won't need to get caught for all stupid things three times before not doing it anymore.

If you want to risk your life then risk your own, get 1 real bullet and 9 fake ones, shake them all together, pick a random one each night, put it in a revolver and then spin the wheel before pulling the trigger on your head.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 11-15-2018 at 12:55 PM.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #85
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
They were premiums added on by the insurance company and not ordered by the court. Auto insurance and licensing is government owned

Ahhh... That's tough, but it generally takes time for these things to work their way off of your record.

Is there any indication that, other than the three times he was caught, that he drank and drove otherwise? Was that a common practice for him?
MaxFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #86
dunksby
NBA Legend

Quote:
Did you even drive then? There was no ride shares. Laws were still lenient. Blood alcohol levels were more tolerant. Even the laws here in Vancouver with 0 tolerance didn't take place until about 2014. So STFU dimwit.
I have been driving for 15 years now; drinking and driving has always been a nono so I'm astonished at you pretending DUI was cool seven years ago.
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #87
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
No, it isn't. All things being equal, if you e.g drink 10 beers and get behind the wheel, the chance of hitting someone is the same each time you have these beers and drive. So no matter if you actually did hit someone or not, the risk you presented to others was the same. That's why I asked the question to point out that the penalty should be dependent on the circumstances, and not not the outcome.

Fair enough. Since you phrased it that way.
IMO recklessness and the actually act of killing someone should be penalized separately. Just like owning an illegal handgun and murdering someone. Or selling large amounts of smack and having someone die from it. Also back then there were no definitive lines of what intoxication was. It was common you could be drunk, but a cop will let you go if he felt you weren't a hazard. They'd say, "go directly home". My bro just happened to be in the wrong situations to get caught. Again, not condoning it. But laws were different then. Now it's no tolerance and I would agree with any punishment handed out, including jail time

Quote:
No I don't think it's easy, but when you risk other peoples lives like that, even three times over, then you are only getting what is coming to you.

And he recognized that and reformed SEVEN YEARS AGO and has not done it since

Quote:
As for the recognition of him having not done it since: The premise of your thread was whether or not he was punished too harshly, not if the rest of us can forgive your brother.
Sure it's good that he's not doing it anymore, but the majority of people never do it so that's kind of where common sense as a person starts for me.
Also again, he got caught THREE times, one should've been enough if he was an reflective and intelligent human being. And also again, he probably drove around after having been drinking a ton of times in that period, because it's so damn unlikely he got caught 100% of the time. Just take a damn taxi.

I'm OK with the opinion that he deserved more. That's people's opinion and I respect that. What I don't agree on is the morality lesson you're trying to give over something that happened SEVEN YEARS ago to a man that has reformed. If a person is reformed it generally means he's learned from his mistakes and moving forward will use his example to teach others. Nor do I need a lecture on something I already recognize. You disagree with me that he's still being penalized to this day is overkill is fine. Spare the lectures though

Quote:
About the lawyer: fair enough, but can't you get a public defender for that?
A court appointed laywer won't actually defend you and wouldn't care if you received the maximum. At least his lawyer presented his reform and lowered his charges to rehabilitation and 1 year suspension plus a fine.

Quote:
It's not 0 tolerance where I live, you can have a little bit.

Here it is now 0 tolerance. You can get a DUI for .014. Think about this. I'm a 165 lb man. 1 drink puts me at .018 after half an hour. You don't have to be blackout drunk. Here's where I also have a problem is the assumption of the extreme.

Quote:
I'll admit I did it once when I was 15 or 16 old kid and going home on a scooter. I felt unsafe while I was doing it and IIRC I did cross a road where I should've stopped and checked for crossing traffic. When I got home I felt pretty bad about it all and said to myself I'd never do that again, and I haven't. I could try and make it better by saying that I drove pretty late at night on mostly very quiet roads(I did), but it was still stupid.

It's great that your brother is not doing it anymore, I just hope he learned a bigger lesson and won't need to get caught for all stupid things three times before not doing it anymore.

And this again is where I have a problem. Is where you and others don't acknowledge that this happened SEVEN YEARS ago. Do you want me to shame you for what you did when you were 16? You act like this happened recently and he's not sorry for it.

Quote:
If you want to risk your life then risk your own, get 1 real bullet and 9 fake ones, shake them all together, pick a random one each night, put it in a revolver and then spin the wheel before pulling the trigger on your head.

Stupidity and recklessness happen all the time everywhere. You can't single it out to DUI. Everyday is a risk.

Last edited by DaHeezy : 11-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #88
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
I have been driving for 15 years now; drinking and driving has always been a nono so I'm astonished at you pretending DUI was cool seven years ago.

Who said it was cool dipshit? I said it was more common. Learn comprehension before acting like a d!ck
Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #89
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Ahhh... That's tough, but it generally takes time for these things to work their way off of your record.

Is there any indication that, other than the three times he was caught, that he drank and drove otherwise? Was that a common practice for him?

Back then it was common for almost anyone because there were more relaxed laws then. I'm not saying black out drunk. But having 3-4 drinks and driving after 3-4 hours. In which case puts you under the influence. The laws here are different now where 1 drink is considered under the influence. So yeah, it wasn't just a common practice for him. Most people got behind the wheel. The 0 tolerance law came into effect over the last 5 years. Now nobody I know does it

Last edited by DaHeezy : 11-15-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #90
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
It's pretty shocking not one person has even acknowledged the fact this happened SEVERAL years ago and has reformed since then. Has not drove drunk ONCE since he was penalized. Are you guys really that ignorant and obvlivious that maybe he did feel like a dipshit and realized what he did was wrong? He payed his penalties? Nobody was harmed?

Yes he's an idiot. But he's corrected those mistakes and suffers the consequences. Which is probably more than most of you have done to overcome your wrongdoings

Unbelievable. How would y'all like something that happened a DECADE ago be brought up and you judged by it? Even AFTER realizing what you did was wrong and served your punishment? Did everything that was asked when being rehabbed.

It's no wonder this world is a shitty place to live because people are so quick to judge without any due process. People have their own conclusions without and due process. It boggles my mind that I did and do condemn what he did yet think I'm ok with his actions. Or that I would actually excuse him for killing someone under the influence. Or the hypocrisy of everyone here condemning him when for damn sure everyone here has driven under the influence. They just happen to not get caught. ONE DRINK can put people under the influence. He wasn't even able to start his car after 1 drink after 2 hours with his immobilizer. Technically you're under the influence even after 12 hours of abstinence of drinking. You don't have to be black out drunk to receive a DUI

But go ahead and continue to make assumptions. We all know everyone here has lived without sin. Got to love the holier than thy attitude.

Not only should your friend be in prison... but you should be locked up just for being friends with the guy and defending him online. lol
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: