Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Some of the most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

This thread had to have been made by a gradeschooler.

Mike frickin' Jones.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Did anyone mention Michigan's Jerod Ward? He came in with enormous hype as the No. 1 player in the nation shortly after the Fab Five. Never did anything, really. I guess he was a halfway decent player by the time he was a senior, and that's about it. In fact, that entire group that was supposed to be the second coming of the Fab Five- Maceo Baston, Maurice Taylor, and I wanna say Travis Conlan and Willie Mitchell- never did much.

They didn't totally suck as a group, but for a quintet that was supposed to keep Michigan in national title contention after the Fab Five left, they were very average.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 08-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HisJoeness
    Mike frickin' Jones.
    First name that came to my mind. Also Schea Cotton(sp) He was another guy who im 85% sure made an SI cover before a single college game.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Ray Young is one of the first names that come to mind. He was pretty hyped up going to UCLA and I don't think he ever averaged 10 PPG

Ray Young's a good call, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    First name that came to my mind. Also Schea Cotton(sp) He was another guy who im 85% sure made an SI cover before a single college game.
    Ironically he is in the new issue of SLAM that just came out. The guy is now coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by HisJoeness
    Mike frickin' Jones.
    I know. Mike Jones had to be the most frustrating guy I've seen play for Maryland, how in the world did he never improve.

He was/is a very good spot shooter and he was very athletic with an above average handle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Ray Young's a good call, too.
    Didn't he blow his knee out?

The #1 guy for me has to be Elijah Ingram.

Does anybody remember him?

The hype he received you would've thought he would've been a 1 & Done.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Re: Most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    This thread is getting dumber. And it started out really stupid.

Did Walker turn out to be the next Vince Carter like he was hyped as? No, but that sure as hell doesn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of overrated recruits. He was a pretty good college player, averaging 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in '07-'08 and fell out of lottery consideration because of a third knee injury. And he played the last 27 games in the NBA last year after spending most of the year in the D-League, averaging 12 ppg.

That makes him one of the most overrated recruits ever? Maybe if he'd been the No. 1 recruit in his class and was receiving LeBron-type hype, sure. But as you said yourself, he was barely a Top 10 recruit by the time he was a senior. Who cares what they were ranked when they were younger? If that's your logic, then you should've had Derrick Caracter instead. He was once the No. 1 prospect in the 2006 class, ahead of Oden and Durant. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

He was a good- but not great- college player and played in the NBA, thus normally negating him from consideration, but for a guy who was hyped similarly to LeBron several years before LeBron, for a guy who was supposed to be the next Jordan....how about Felipe Lopez? But that's the problem with this thread. How do you gauge how "overrated" a guy was as opposed to there simply being ridiculous expectations placed upon someone when they're still a kid?
    With time my friend with time. OJ averaged 21 ppg as a true freshman including a 37 point outburst on 3rd pick in the 2009 draft James Harden. He teams just wasn't very good. If he made it far in the tournament this wouldn't even be a debate. OJ is arguably and probably the best shooting guard in the world under 25 years old, Monta Ellis is the only one who is probably current better going into the season, but won't be after this season. He has yet to be the number 1 option on his team.

OJ within his first two seasons has put up 40 points on Chauncey Billups, 32 points on Brandon Roy, 32 points on Tracy McGrady, 32 points on Manu Ginobili, 28 points twice on Dwyane Wade, 25 points on Kobe Bryant. This is without being the number 1 option. Talent isn't the question with him, you can't do that to the best ball players in the world within your first two season unless your going to be a special nba player. I take it your a Rose fan and don't watch him alot, it is really all about getting enough touches. He is one of the most unused guards per possession in the league. If you aren't touching the ball there isn't much you can do statistically and he has still managed to do 18/4/3 and 3,000 points his first two seasons.

Kobe Bryant was deemed as the next Jordan coming out of high school, but couldn't even beat out Eddie Jones to start for the Lakers. Then average 7 ppg his rookie season.

OJ has all the tools to live up to his name and hype, once he leaves memphis in 2012 when contract expires and goes to a team without ball hogs his numbers will come. See Tracy Mcgrady in 2000 when he went to Orlando instead of playing with Vince Carter as a Raptor. He went from doing 15 ppg to 27 ppg after that switch of teams, skill never leaves a player.

You fans want every hyped player to make an immediate impact average 25 ppg with the first 2 or 3 seasons. It doesn't always work that way, some players take longer to reach their full potential, but when they do that's when the fun begins. Kobe wasn't really Kobe 2001 that's 5 NBA seasons it took. Then he didn't master his skills until 2003, that was his 7th year in the league.

Another overrated recruit had to have been Gerald Green. #1 SG in the 2005 class, projected as the better version of Vince Carter is now out of the NBA.
    Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba; 08-14-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

To add on.

A guy like Derrick Rose has been getting way more hype than his production, mainly because he plays for a big market and grew up around there, and has freakish athletism. He played well in a few playoff games as a rookie including the 36 points 11 assists games on the biggest stage so got more hype, respected same with Westbrook this year against the Lakers.

Rose was a 21/4/6 pg this past season, that's nothing special, talking elite terms, especially if you factor in that he had the largest usage rating per possession out of any other pg in the league. It was almost 6 points higher than OJ Mayo's, who in contrast was one of the most unused starting sgs per possession league. 3 ppg more on 3 more FGAs. 3 more assists per game one is a PG other is a SG.
    Being the first option that Rose was I was expect prime Marbury nesque numbers like 24/4/9. Being the most used PG in the leauge possession wise. That's getting it done, even i'll hope on board that but 21/4/6 as a pg wake me up when there is some real production.

In 3 years when both Mayo and Rose are in their primes and number 1 options or ball dominator then we will see who is the better player and trust me on this the stats won't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Ironically he is in the new issue of SLAM that just came out. The guy is now coaching.
    I totally didn't believe you till I looked it up. I want to read this article, can I find it online somewhere?

Default Re: Most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    With time my friend with time. OJ averaged 21 ppg as a true freshman including a 37 point outburst on 3rd pick in the 2009 draft James Harden. He teams just wasn't very good. If he made it far in the tournament this wouldn't even be a debate. OJ is arguably and probably the best shooting guard in the world under 25 years old, Monta Ellis is the only one who is probably current better going into the season, but won't be after this season. He has yet to be the number 1 option on his team.

OJ within his first two seasons has put up 40 points on Chauncey Billups, 32 points on Brandon Roy, 32 points on Tracy McGrady, 32 points on Manu Ginobili, 28 points twice on Dwyane Wade, 25 points on Kobe Bryant. This is without being the number 1 option. Talent isn't the question with him, you can't do that to the best ball players in the world within your first two season unless your going to be a special nba player. I take it your a Rose fan and don't watch him alot, it is really all about getting enough touches. He is one of the most unused guards per possession in the league. If you aren't touching the ball there isn't much you can do statistically and he has still managed to do 18/4/3 and 3,000 points his first two seasons.

Kobe Bryant was deemed as the next Jordan coming out of high school, but couldn't even beat out Eddie Jones to start for the Lakers. Then average 7 ppg his rookie season.

OJ has all the tools to live up to his name and hype, once he leaves memphis in 2012 when contract expires and goes to a team without ball hogs his numbers will come. See Tracy Mcgrady in 2000 when he went to Orlando instead of playing with Vince Carter as a Raptor. He went from doing 15 ppg to 27 ppg after that switch of teams, skill never leaves a player.

You fans want every hyped player to make an immediate impact average 25 ppg with the first 2 or 3 seasons. It doesn't always work that way, some players take longer to reach their full potential, but when they do that's when the fun begins. Kobe wasn't really Kobe 2001 that's 5 NBA seasons it took. Then he didn't master his skills until 2003, that was his 7th year in the league.

Another overrated recruit had to have been Gerald Green. #1 SG in the 2005 class, projected as the better version of Vince Carter is now out of the NBA.
    Jesus Christ, what does this have to do with anything? How obsessed are you with Mayo? That response didn't even have anything to do with what you were responding to.

But if you want to think that O.J. Mayo is going to be as good as Derrick Rose, I'll let you sit around and wait for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I totally didn't believe you till I looked it up. I want to read this article, can I find it online somewhere?
    Nah thats the ****ed up part about SLAM.

You probably have to buy it.