Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Yeah, both on offense and defense. Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Yeah, both on offense and defense. Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?
    You're arguing something that I already agreed with though so what's the point of the question? Nobody here is in denial about success rates. I understand it might only be possible to do it once every 5 games... but wouldn't it be wiser that one time to grab it instead of swatting it out of bounds and giving the ball to the other team? We should all know by now how much of a difference one great possession can make in sports.

One great defensive play or one great shot... can shift the momentum of a game. I'm saying if the entire NBA combines for thousands and thousands of blocks... why didn't we have at least 50 catch blocks this year? That's a MUCH lower percentage than I suggested and we didn't even see that. Is 50 out of 11,000 total blocks really a big deal?

You guys are making it seem like I'm expecting something preposterous. I was when I said one every game.. but I changed it because it was clearly unrealistic.

Also ask an NFL player what a bigger play to make is on defense. An interception or swatting the ball to the floor? 10/10 will say an interception. Very few NFL players go for a swat unless they have zero chance to intercept. NBA players should have a similar mentality. Only swat a shot if you CAN'T control it somehow. Whether that's controlling the block to a teammate or yourself... or just catching it.

However, you can't turn it on and off. If you're going for catch, then you go for catch every time. Then blocks would have lower success rates.

However, you can't turn it on and off. If you're going for catch, then you go for catch every time. Then blocks would have lower success rates.
    This is a cop out. ;x.... these guys are paid up to 20+ million a year. They are in top physical and mental condition. It's a mindset change and you can have multiple functions stored in muscle memory. You're telling me players can be reactive all game long on offense but not on defense?? You can't make a split second decision to catch/control a block rather than swat into stands? That's BS. Maybe they need to practice catch blocks.. and make them become an instinct.. but to imply these players have no control is crazy.

If you watch the history of the blocked shot... watch guys like Russell and Wilt to Dwight now. You'll see back then way more controlled and catch blocks happened. Now it's about the flashy swat to the 4th row block. Players have the wrong mindset defensively.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 09-17-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Watch this dude. Bill Russell the art of the blocked shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFsL4Y8RVA

Watch how many of his blocks are intelligent blocks. Blocking to teammates, controlling a block to himself... catch blocks etc. No flashy crap of swatting it into the stands 3 times a game. Every single block has a purpose. I didn't see one that didn't stay in bounds and end up in a teammates hands really.

To block and catch require much narrower angle than block only, thus much lower success rate.

To block and catch require much narrower angle than block only, thus much lower success rate.
    This has already been agreed upon by me. Watch the Bill Russell video please. It's not long.

So if you would go for block n catch, you'd always try to position your body in a more difficult position a lot of the time, thus lowering your block success rate.

About Russel, it was a different game back then. He was much better and much more athletic compared to everyone else. There's much more parity now.

I do it in 2K11 with my player all the time.

So if you would go for block n catch, you'd always try to position your body in a more difficult position a lot of the time, thus lowering your block success rate.

About Russel, it was a different game back then. He was much better and much more athletic compared to everyone else. There's much more parity now.
    Okay then watch Hakeem or David Robinson. Now watch Dwight and McGee. Watch it get progressively worse. Blocks are getting less and less intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    I do it in 2K11 with my player all the time.
    I didn't even know you could in 2K11. Is it random?

why is this even a discussion?, the answer is simple. now STFU

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    why is this even a discussion?, the answer is simple. now STFU
    Why are you so angry? I've never even seen you around here before little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Okay then watch Hakeem or David Robinson. Now watch Dwight and McGee. Watch it get progressively worse. Blocks are getting less and less intelligent.
    Because players are getting more and more equal.

Besides, we comparing Mcgee to Hakeem now?

Because players are getting more and more equal.

Besides, we comparing Mcgee to Hakeem now?
    I'm taking the arguable best shot blockers from their eras and asking you to compare the way shots were blocked. Not directly comparing any of them. You honestly believe centers right now are close to equal to Dwight? 2 straight years in the top 3 I believe for MVP votes... 3 straight DPOY awards. Who do you think is equal to Dwight?

You honestly think Robinson and Hakeem didn't have competiton?? Zo, Shaq, Mutombo etc? The 90's had the deepest era of centers in NBA history, not even close. If anything there is WAY more of a gap in competition right now.. so it should be easier to blocks shots.