Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Be honest, did you think LeBron would be this good in 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    To be honest, I didn't..I thought he would be a more athletic pre-injury Grant Hill. Which is still close, but I don't think it entirely captures Lebron's level as a player. He went from a hyped up high school kid, to a potential top 3 player all time in terms of pure basketball talent..haven't seen many players match every shred of hype and expectations put on them the way Lebron has. I'm talking purely about his game..legacy wise he's had his fair share of failures.
    Wow I thought this too

I thought he would be a more athletic pre-injury Grant Hill.
    Well, that's basically what he was. A hyper athletic Grant Hill. Then the 2006 rule changes bumped up his scoring. Then after the 2008 Olympics he began playing defense, his jumper got better and the rest was history.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

To be honest, I didn't..I thought he would be a more athletic pre-injury Grant Hill. Which is still close, but I don't think it entirely captures Lebron's level as a player. He went from a hyped up high school kid, to a potential top 3 player all time in terms of pure basketball talent..haven't seen many players match every shred of hype and expectations put on them the way Lebron has. I'm talking purely about his game..legacy wise he's had his fair share of failures.
    I guess I'm not the only one who thought this

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    I'm just saying I watched a lot of his basketball high school games. A lot of those passes were definitely risky if it was in a better basketball conference. He won championships in Division II in Ohio. I would have loved to have seen LeBron play in a bigger city like Los Angeles or Chicago throughout high school. I felt his level of competition in high school was pretty bad tbh. But yes, his jumper was so inconsistent. Sometimes he was wet for awhile then got cold. I still love the game of him vs. Trevor Ariza in high school. I watch it every once in awhile to see the dominance he showed after Ariza's dad called him out.
    If you ever watch that documentary that came out several years back about Lebron and his high school teammates (which is a decent enough documentary but great for some of the game footage you get that you otherwise might not see), there was an AAU tournament they played in when he was in 8th grade. There's a play where he gets the ball right near the low block, he catches the defender's eye and completely looks off the defender before making a pass to the baseline for an easy lay-up. It wasn't a dramatic no look (you know, the kind that don't really serve a purpose except to be flashy) but then that's always been Lebron's passing game, he doesn't necessarily make a lot of flashy/spectacular passes but instead simple passes but in situations that really shouldn't be there and they look easy enough until you realize that he's really the only player (right now anyway) who could make the pass. He just happens to make it look ordinary.

I think that's doing a disservice to a pre-injury Hill, who was a beast. A more athletic Hill is a very good description of what Lebron is now.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Yea I remember his rookie season where Melo got robbed for tha ROTY award and Lebron was a horrible jumpshooter indeed . I never liked his attitude even back in 2002 when I first heard about him in high school when he was junior. Lebron was just blessed by his God given abilities its just too bad that he's a quitter, choker and coward. If I was 6'9 and 260 I would win at least 6 rings out of 11 seasons. No doubt.
    Mods, why isnt this guy banned

He is technically a more athletic Grant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    Mods, why isnt this guy banned
    What's your problem niguh?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Well, that's basically what he was. A hyper athletic Grant Hill. Then the 2006 rule changes bumped up his scoring. Then after the 2008 Olympics he began playing defense, his jumper got better and the rest was history.
    I think one of things that kind of does a disservice to Lebron is that everyone sort of expected him to have all of the tools all at once instead of letting him develop (like people complaining that he wasn't a great defender or he didn't have a reliable outside jumper or that he didn't have a post game) and part of this problem is perception. We sort of remember the kinds of players Magic and Jordan devloped into (although somewhat ironically people don't really remember hyper athletic attacking Jordan but slightly slowed down methodical Jordan) and don't really appreciate how long it took them to become those players. I mean, Magic didn't truly become the dominant player people remember him to be until around '86 or '87. And Lebron still has a good chunk of his career left and several different iterations left.

I thought he would be better one honest. Still an all time great but espn hyped him up to be as good as Jordan which he isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    I think that's doing a disservice to a pre-injury Hill, who was a beast. A more athletic Hill is a very good description of what Lebron is now.
    He was, but I think stopping at 'more athletic Grant Hill' suggests that Lebron's singular advantage over Hill is physical. I think that description was true a while ago..but the way Lebron has developed his jumper past the midrange, his post game, considering that his vision is better than Hill's, defensively he's better in versatility and effectiveness in his own position..I think Lebron has developed his game beyond the physical side to a level that Hill never reached. Wasn't trying to knock Hill, just think that Lebron's skill set right now - in that it's different, not that he's much more skilled or anything - has pulled away from the comparison a tad since he entered the league.

For all the hype he was getting, my older brother said he was going to be the biggest bust in the history of the game. I certainly didn't think he would be but didn't think he'd achieve this status.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    For all the hype he was getting, my older brother said he was going to be the biggest bust in the history of the game. I certainly didn't think he would be but didn't think he'd achieve this status.
    Wade, Bosh, Allen, and refs made it all possible.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

he was mentioned to play like a magic-jordan hybrid with a PF body, so i expected a lot more

I thought he would be good, not best in the world good. Rarely does someone match their hype coming in from HS. He came in and played point for his team. Now that aint easy, now add the fact he was an 18 year old rookie. Shit is insane.

Dude came into the league at like 220. Fast as lightning. Then dude puts on like 50 pounds, and still fast a shit. I didn't think that would last long, yet it did.

Dude couldn't shoot the rock. Leave him alone at the 3 point line and he will knock it down now.

I respect his game, but didn't ever think he would reach these heights. Dude is a baller