Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #1366
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: Lakers/NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I believe Lakers have about 22 Million left to spend, after Kobe and Nash's (plus scrub contracts like Sacre) and chose not to go after "pieces". After "inquiries" about Lebron and Carmelo's camp, we didn't hear them offer any contracts to the midtier free agents. If I recall, you even said, Dallas was in the worst situation than the Lakers bec they were on the hook with those contracts while the Lakers will have all the cap room next summer.
Im not saying that Dallas is now the heavy favorites, but I have stated before that those pieces they collected can also be flipped or traded for better players bec those contracts were not expensive ones....
I think I've said for a long time that this FA class is a weak one. Who do you plan on getting with that 22 million? The Lakers needed to have a chance at one of the good FA's last off season to be in a good situation. Now the build is going to be much longer. They're better off just sucking the next few years and hoping to be in the top 5 in the draft. I don't see Aldridge going anywhere. Gasol probably isn't either. Rondo is no longer an option. Tell me who it is that changes this franchise around all the sudden and where this cap space gets you?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:30 PM   #1367
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I think I've said for a long time that this FA class is a weak one. Who do you plan on getting with that 22 million? The Lakers needed to have a chance at one of the good FA's last off season to be in a good situation. Now the build is going to be much longer. They're better off just sucking the next few years and hoping to be in the top 5 in the draft. I don't see Aldridge going anywhere. Gasol probably isn't either. Rondo is no longer an option. Tell me who it is that changes this franchise around all the sudden and where this cap space gets you?

The fact is that superstars rarely change teams outright through FA. The last guys to do it were LeBron and Dwight. And before them...Shaq.

People always talk about how "Players love to play in L.A." and that "L.A. always attracts free agents" but look at the recent history. What big name FAs did the Lakers sign in the last...8 years? A close to 40 year old Steve Nash? Nick Young? The fact is that the Lakers had a cornerstone to build around (One of the 10 greatest players ever) and some decent trade assets. Now, they have neither. They leveraged their future to try and win now and big with the Nash signing and Dwight trade and it failed. Now they're going to be up shit creek for years to come. I'm talking mid 90s pre-Shaq when Magic was coaching. Actually even worse than that tbh
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 PM   #1368
dd24
College superstar

Yeah, With the current rules people don't realize it takes about 5 years of actual rebuilding to be good. Even though the Lakers haven't been good they put off the rebuilding. Of course it wasn't their fault. I still believe David Stern killed the Lakers. LA offered New Orleans a better package for Chris Paul. He shot it down and took a crappy offer from the Clippers. Look at where the Pelicans are at with Gordon now (who the trade was centered around). Pau Gasol on the other hand still has a lot of game left. I always said I never wanted Gordon on my team with that big of a contract. Now everyone knows why. Had the Lakers landed Paul they still would have landed Howard. Then he would have stayed too. Instead the Lakers had to settle for Nash. It seemed like a good consolation prize at the time but little did anybody know he was completely done. So injuries and Howard leaving set back the rebuilding process a few years. The Lakers aren't going to be good for at least another 3 years now. And that's hoping they land a top 5 pick (that isn't a bust) this season.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #1369
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Yeah the nixed CP3 trade killed them. Then, refusing to at least shop Dwight when it was clear he wasn't happy in L.A. was a mistake as well.

Pau has game left, but he's not at bonafide 2nd option level anymore. He's on a team now where the spotlight really isn't on him and he isn't expected to practically carry the team alongside someone else like he was in L.A. If he were still in a Lakers uniform I don't think he'd be playing at the level he's been playing at recently.

Honestly, it's hard for me to see the Lakers recovering anytime soon. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but even after Kobe is gone and they have a lot of money..what else do they have? No picks, no tradeable assets, just money. Money means nothing if you don't have players to spend it on. There are like 3-4 guys in the league who can completely change the direction of a franchise themselves, and they're all on winning teams right now. Add in the questionable management and the uncertain future there and you realize (great) players have zero incentive to come play for the Lakers.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:05 PM   #1370
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24

Dallas tried to sign Deron Williams but couldn't.
Tried to get a really good defensive center in Dwight but didn't.
Instead of going in tank mode, they acquired assets that are good and tradeable.
Didn't get Dwight?, fine, they get Jose Calderon and Brandan Wright. The next year, they traded Calderon for a pretty good defensive minded center in Tyson Chandler.
They moved to get OJ Mayo, then let him go to get Ellis for a pretty cheap 7 mil/year. The next year they get Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris.
Looking back, they still feel they need a really good PG so what do they do?
They asked Boston, hey, we want Rondo, what do you guys want from our team?
Oh we like Wright and Nelson,
ok, you can have them.
So from Not getting Dwight and Deron (which was fortunate in retrospect), they managed to procure Chandler, Parsons, Ellis and now Rondo.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: