Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Default Re: I have a feeling this will be a great season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I think their front seven is overrated if you're saying one of the best in the league.

They don't have the outside pass rushers to make me fear them. I think Demeco Ryans is an above average player, nothing more. Cushing is a very good player.

Barwin got like 60 percent of his total sacks in a three game stretch. He's a decent player but he's not a great player.

They have a good front seven. But a dominant one? I don't think so. They just don't have the OLB's or DT.

Their per game stats will probably be great this year, but that's more of a reflection of playing in that division void of quarterbacks. Not like their going up against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan & Cam Newton 6 out of 16 games. Not like their going up against Jay Cutler, Rodgers & Stafford 6 games.

You measure yourself as a defense vs. the great offenses, because that's who you're probably going to have to beat to get to a superbowl or win the superbowl.

People were talking about how great the Denver defense was (myself included) when they pulled off a stretch in the middle part of the season....gave up like 16 points per game over the last half of the year, until they faced NE and they got worked over in week 15. Look a little closer and you see they didn't play any great offenses until that Pats game, and promptly got exposed. Then they got worked over again in the playoffs by the same Patriot team.

We'll have a much better idea of what the Texans defense is after this year with their meetings vs. Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and possibly Manning.

DeMeco is coming off an achilles injury and was just getting back into form the last few games of the season. Cushing very good? How about elite because this kid is clearly a top 5 if not 3 middle linebacker. Connor Barwin can definitely rush the passer with his athleticism and considering he was a defensive end that converted to OLB. A chunk of his sacks came against Jacksonville but he has the most hurries on the Texans team so lets put that to rest. Not to mention he's stout at stopping the run and is really good at batting balls down. He's definitely a good player.

I'd agree if you just said Reed because he's a solid player that just never gives it up. He has a very high motor which is the exact opposite of Mario. Our defense however starts in the trenches where Smith and Watt are one of the best 3-4 bookends in the league. JJ Watt has the potential to be the best 3-4 end in a couple of years and Antonio Smith has been our best lineman for the past 2-3 years, yes better than Mario. They eat up double teams and that's where a chunk of Reeds' sacks come from.

Please stop with the quarterback situation because the 49ers who are probably the unanimous best defense in the league plays in a division with horrible quarterbacks as well except for Sam Bradford(who had a bad year anyway).

The Texans defense dominated the playoffs where teams MAKE their name. We played a decent-good offense in Cincinatti and held them to 14. We played a team with a good quarterback and good running back and guess what we completely shut them down. We were probably the only team in the NFL last year that made Ray Rice a complete non-factor. We have a top 5 pass rush and a top 5 run defense.

Name 5 teams with a better defense than the Texans.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #32
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

49'ers also have a track record of doing well against elite quarterbacks.

They turned the Saints over 4 times in the playoffs. They made it a very sloppy game vs. Eli and the Giants and played very well against him in the regular season as well. They played against Stafford and the Lions and did very well....did decent vs the Eagles. Shut down the Steelers.

So while they play in a division void of great quarterbacks like the Texans do, they didn't have an easy schedule.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #33
beasly15
TEXANS

Cushing has showed that he's pretty good after all the PE(performance enhancement bs). Demeco Ryans is our leader. We came up with some good production from out of nowhere (Barwin, Reed and Watt) <--that's not too common cause we ended up with a top defense. that's just our defense. dont let me get started on Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. Come on...
beasly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #34
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I'm not saying the Texans aren't a good team or won't be a good team this year. I'm strictly talking about their defense, I'm not sold on them like I am other defenses because the track record isn't there.

I'm not even predicting that they won't be a very highly ranked defense, I anticipate that they will be...but it could very well end up being fools gold. I'm skeptical of them because of their OLB's and DT.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #35
beasly15
TEXANS

Quote:
I'm not saying the Texans aren't a good team or won't be a good team this year. I'm strictly talking about their defense, I'm not sold on them like I am other defenses because the track record isn't there.

I'm not even predicting that they won't be a very highly ranked defense, I anticipate that they will be...but it could very well end up being fools gold. I'm skeptical of them because of their OLB's and DT.

I'm pretty sold on their defense, thats the only thing that got us through the playoffs. We have a bad ass defense that's taken too long to build up and man, we're here. I know you're the Colts but that's not our problem. Good luck with Luck but im pretty sure we will tear him up in the early years. I'm not hating, man. I just think the Texans will be that good this year.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #36
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Didn't we beat you with Dan Orlovsky? In a game that meant nothing but pride to us and a potential 1st round bye for you?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #37
beasly15
TEXANS

Quote:
Didn't we beat you with Dan Orlovsky? In a game that meant nothing but pride to us and a potential 1st round bye for you?

dude...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: