Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
ballinforkeeps
Banned

Default chuck hayes potential

call me a homer, i am on this guy. i love him, specially after last season. 2 seasons ago he always got in foul trouble, then the next season he stopped that completely, literally. how many undrafted role players can get rid of a flaw in one offseason? remember hes in the west, guardin west bigs, and still improved his fouling. thats not easy at all.

he already can play good defense (1.1 spg in 19mpg, playing power forward), rebounding is always there. not only is his rebounding there, but whenever he plays more minutes he delivers (almost 10rpg at 27mpg+). why wouldnt he be able to improve more when hes only 25? hes a better player now so he can improve more this offseason than last.

he has a few things he can work on...get some shot blocking if he can w/o fouling out, develop a jumper to give yao space, devolop any kind of of offensive game, 3pters? i dunno, but i do think he is gonna add somethin to his game next season. he knows he has to keep gettin better if he wants to stay on this team when we have harris, green, novak, scola, dorsey, and landry. thats a lotta pple to share the 3/4/5 sports.

cmon hayes, start blockin shots and shootin 3pters. green and brooks would like than 3/4 years down the road.

yall remember how hayes stopped fouling last season? he improved a lot on his defense, but i wonder wat hes gonna improve on this offseason, or add to his game. maybe shot blocking??? if he can do that at 6'6 and not foul out we prolly have another role player keeper :) . he can also steal (avg 1.1 in 19mpg more than tmac at 1.0)

not sayin he will start blockin shots, but im expectin somethin. it took him one offseason to improve his fouling. hes a better player now so he can improve even more than he did last season
ballinforkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Default Re: chuck hayes potential

potential means how much a guy can develop and what he could develop into. It that sense Chuck has pretty much reached it outside his offense. The reason chuck went from starter to third fourth string imo is his offense. You have a guy in Scola thats taller and a whole hell lot better at offense and hustles in defense.

then carl landry came in and people were wondering why when he seems like another chuck hayes but he is aggressive in the offensive end. the same goes with mike harris. when you have a team that cannot do anything offensively without yao and tmac, theres no room for another liability on offense... not to mention we just drafted Joey Doresey.

I think chuck can find a home in another team but i dont think he will be with the rockets....
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
ballinforkeeps
Banned

hes only 25, he has A VERY LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE HE REACHES HIS FULL POTENTIAL!!! we do have too many undersized bigs but we should keep hayes. when we need him he does his thing. harris is good but only keep him if we have room. not better than hayes tho.

his improvement rate has been growing each season, i cant wait to see wat he does next season. since hes our best defensive big other than yao he should add shot blocking to his defensive prowess :) . i dont really care wat he adds, anything can help us, just gotta add soemthin
Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Jordandunk23
Rockets

he doesnt have the tools to be a shot blocker. he is short, he is listed at 6'6 and thats being generous and he doesnt have any type of vertical. iv never seen this guy dunk once...

he is a decent player but your saying he has alot of potential like he can be an a stud in the league. if you have any eye for potential you would see that this is chuck hayes. there isnt really more to it other than being more consistent on hitting "lay ups" and he could work on a jump shot, bad form...

i dont know what you expect from him but theres really no room for him. he can play defense but he is not a defensive presence. his defense can be replaced by scola, landry, and harris, not to mention those guys are not a liability on offense. thats why he got replaced last season, he was too big of a liability on the offensive end and his defense does not upside it.

Scola, Landry, Joey Dorsey... thats 3 power forwards, plus mike harris is tyring to get a spot. thats 4 guys ahead of hayes. theres not room. again, i think he can find a home in another team. he is a servicable player.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
catzhernandez
Underrated

"Shoot threes."

catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
ballinforkeeps
Banned

i dont think he can become an all star, but a solid role player, on shane battiers level. wat im gettin at is how he improved his foulin in just one off season. took yao a while to keep himself outta foul trouble. its not like its something that anyone can just do like that, but thats wat hayes did, like its nothin.

"hey hayes, we need you to stop fouling"
"ok"
"thx"

its not that easy, specially when youre undersized for an undersized big in an oversized big conference. i can understand him gettin one more rpg, are .2 more spg, but to just stop somethin thats been holdin you back a lot in just one offseason, considerin wats at stake, id say hayes did somethin impressive.

i dunno his full potential but if hes on next seasons roster and plays 20mpg and plays even better than last season, you heard it from me first.

i mean cmon, feast your eyes on wat he can become...
...legit backup pf, great defense on and off the ball, a jumper, inside game, legit double double when needed, beautiful ugly ft shot.

if i was him and wanted to stay on the team, i would be workin on my offensive game like a mug. w/e happens happens but daam ima homer on this guy and i dunno why
Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Jordandunk23
Rockets

lol iono y u are a homer on this guy dude. i mean hes a fan favorite because he works hard and he was comin up his first couple seasons but last season he was replaced for obvious reasons. i just think you have unrealistic expectations for him.

threes, never... hes already a pretty good defender, thats not the problem! hes a poor mans ben wallace. hes shorter with limited vertical. vertical alone limits his potential to be a shot blocker, gives him foul trouble issues, matchup issues,etc .. AGAIN, his main issue on why he was replaced is because he is a liability on offense. his job was to hit OPEN LAYUPS and he was missing his opportunities. he also needs to work on his jumper because he doesnt have one.

theres a reason he gets limited minutes. he can find a home somewhere but not in houston. he can develop a jumper and maybe some post moves but for him to average a double double, he actually gotta be able to stay on the floor.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

He's not in there to block shots. He's a 4 who can guard the quicker players and the bigger players. He deters the offense and is especially effective against picks because he can guard both the picker and the player being picked for.

He's also not in there to score points, he is there to get rebounds and take the pressure off Yao. I would like to see him dunk more because I KNOW he can, and I don't understand why he doesn't, but again that's not what he's there for.

Coaches love him because of his IQ and he really is a better player than most give him credit for, because most people can't see the full game of a player like a coach can.

Now, I believe the Rockets are going in a different direction, I think he will have a long and successfu career, but I think Adleman want's a different kind of player so I believe he will land a very important role somewhere. Who knows where? Time will tell.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Heretik32
Myrrh

If I might pitch in my two cents (yes, I know I'm on dangerous territory here):

The problem with Hayes isn't that he's severely undertalented (just enough for his position) or that he doesn't try enough (damn hard worker and just bursting with motivation)... it's nerves. Look at his free throws, look at his missed layups. Whenever kid's got a chance to become nervous, he gets nervous. And then he blows it. You don't notice it during the normal flow of the game, but whenever he has a chance to think about things, he blows them

Once he gets past that and builds some confidence, he's set to become a solid player. But I'm not sure what has to happen. He should get some counseling.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretik32
If I might pitch in my two cents (yes, I know I'm on dangerous territory here):

The problem with Hayes isn't that he's severely undertalented (just enough for his position) or that he doesn't try enough (damn hard worker and just bursting with motivation)... it's nerves. Look at his free throws, look at his missed layups. Whenever kid's got a chance to become nervous, he gets nervous. And then he blows it. You don't notice it during the normal flow of the game, but whenever he has a chance to think about things, he blows them

Once he gets past that and builds some confidence, he's set to become a solid player. But I'm not sure what has to happen. He should get some counseling.

i definently agree. i didnt mention his nervousness but it sure explains missing layup, his freethrows, and at times bad passes.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Zak

Just wondering, is it true that he can actually shoot his free throws regularly and it's just a mental thing? According to my brother, he can shoot them regularly in practice, but during game time he gets nervous or something like that? Can someone confirm?

Edit: nevermind, according to heretik32 it is?

Hopefully he can improve, so that we can have some backup for Scola just in case he goes down, but Landry looks to be coming along nicely, and hopefully Joey could too. PF isn't exactly the rockets strongest position, but we cuold be shaping up nicely this season at the 4.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

got a fantasy question, my C is Pau Gasol, my PF is Okur and my backup C is Ben Wallace and I'm thinking of getting either Hayes, or Dorsey as my backup PF cuz landry and scola are already taken but idk which one to get, should I get Hayes or Dorsey? I mean I know Dorsey's a rookie and Hayes is good but after reading what yall said, idk who to pick, so can yall gimme some advice?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Dat1
Learning to shoot layups

He shoots free throws like Charles Barkley's golf swing.
Dat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
ballinforkeeps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
got a fantasy question, my C is Pau Gasol, my PF is Okur and my backup C is Ben Wallace and I'm thinking of getting either Hayes, or Dorsey as my backup PF cuz landry and scola are already taken but idk which one to get, should I get Hayes or Dorsey? I mean I know Dorsey's a rookie and Hayes is good but after reading what yall said, idk who to pick, so can yall gimme some advice?

who else are available at pf/c? hayes and specially dorsey are not good fantasy players. hayes barely gets 4rpg, dorsey hasnt even played yet. i think reggie evans is a better optin than those 2
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
ballinforkeeps
Banned

well so far it doesnt look like im right but november has yet to end and its a long season. maybe he gets a jumper or somehow improves his offense? we might see it later on in the season or maybe he just stays as a top 20/30 defender for his position who can also crash the boards. either way its good
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: