Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star strifed169's Avatar

Default Re: Scalebrine DESTROYS Boston's best street ballers

props to Scal for doing this, not only did he have his own rep on the line but pro baller's as well, which is why we don't see many of these am I right?
    Last edited by strifed169; 01-22-2013 at 10:02 PM.

The reason he dominated is because of his strength and length. That's why the best 1 on 1 players are mobile big guys. KAJ, Shaq, Hakeem, Yao would dominate the likes of MJ, Kobe, Iverson, Wade. Simply because it's too easy to just post them up all day.

It should also be brought up that scal is retired and in his mid 30's while these dudes looked like they were in their early to mid twenties. How do you think a 26 year old NBA active scal would look in this challenge?

I played some church pick-up ball games against a dude that played semi-pro in Europe.

Guy was huge and had handles of a PG compared to the rest of us. I would whack him as hard as I could when he was going up for layups and it wouldn't even phase him. To make it even worse, he would just play on when I called "foul!" even when my team got the rebound.

The scary thing was I also got the feeling he was only playing at about 25% intensity. He really scaled it back. He'd be just goofing off drilling 3 pointers from 5 feet back.

I can only imagine going up against a guy like Scal that has real NBA experience.

People don't realize it's all about strength.

those dudes should not be ashamed, they lost to the best #whitemamba

Learning to shoot layups Supersonics33's Avatar

Seeing as how this involves Kobe, I'm sure most ISH members have seen this one on one video. I know it's Bow Wow, but just look at how tired he gets just trying to hold some kind of ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDh2U1hVrw

atta boy scal

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by strifed169
    props to Scal for doing this, not only did he have his own rep on the line but pro baller's as well, which is why we don't see many of these am I right?
    Truth. I was actually wondering what Scalabrine was thinking throughout. I wonder if he was at all worried the 6'8'' fellow might be able to make a match of things. Similarly, it looked like he was worn down a little bit by the fourth game (and rightfully so). He got blocked and fell behind early, I wonder if there was even a trace of doubt at that point.

And you're right, I believe most players would not engage in something like this because it's very high risk and low reward.

   

didn't watch the 3rd guy, but i would have to think that a lot of small PG's here and there would be able to routinely get to the hoop against scallops. especially if they had a solid long-range jumper.

not a knock against scallops... but he, and even average NBA big men would be at a natural foot-speed disadvantage against some of these lightning-quick guys we've all seen and played against from time to time...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    didn't watch the 3rd guy, but i would have to think that a lot of small PG's here and there would be able to routinely get to the hoop against scallops. especially if they had a solid long-range jumper.

not a knock against scallops... but he, and even average NBA big men would be at a natural foot-speed disadvantage against some of these lightning-quick guys we've all seen and played against from time to time...
    The issue with the third guy (and some of the others) was there just wasn't enough room to create separation between themselves and Scalabrine on their way to the rim from the top of the key in under 10 seconds. Like you said, quicker guys with real jump shots (and range out to the NBA three and beyond) would have a lot better luck, but that's kind of hard to come by.

Even for the "quick" guys in the Scalabrine contest, Brian was always able to compensate for his lack of quicks with solid angles and enough size to body up and recover by the time his opponent reached the rim. No one seemed to have an NBA three ball he really, really had to respect, so he was able to give himself a lot of breathing room to begin with in terms of the space between him and his amateur opponents.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The issue with the third guy (and some of the others) was there just wasn't enough room to create separation between themselves and Scalabrine on their way to the rim from the top of the key in under 10 seconds. Like you said, quicker guys with real jump shots (and range out to the NBA three and beyond) would have a lot better luck, but that's kind of hard to come by.

Even for the "quick" guys in the Scalabrine contest, Brian was always able to compensate for his lack of quicks with solid angles and enough size to body up and recover by the time his opponent reached the rim. No one seemed to have an NBA three ball he really, really had to respect, so he was able to give himself a lot of breathing room to begin with in terms of the space between him and his amateur opponents.
    hmm... well, wouldn't you think that quick small guys with solid reverses would be able to exploit the size advantage, even given the court limitation? i mean, if you can get ahead of someone with long arms, you can at least use the basket to protect your reverse layup. there's at least some good chances, i'm thinking...

what if the mid-sized guys who won the right to face scallops wound up knocking off the pocket rockets who could have otherwise gone to the final three spots? you know what i mean? maybe those guys would have fared better than the mid-sized guys, even though the mid-sized guys had just the right limit to their heights to stay with the little guys on D and could then have abused them everywhere else...

@ the people who think they can hang with even the scrubbiest of NBA players.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    hmm... well, wouldn't you think that quick small guys with solid reverses would be able to exploit the size advantage, even given the court limitation? i mean, if you can get ahead of someone with long arms, you can at least use the basket to protect your reverse layup. there's at least some good chances, i'm thinking...

what if the mid-sized guys who won the right to face scallops wound up knocking off the pocket rockets who could have otherwise gone to the final three spots? you know what i mean? maybe those guys would have fared better than the mid-sized guys, even though the mid-sized guys had just the right limit to their heights to stay with the little guys on D and could then have abused them everywhere else...
    Yeah I feel what you're saying. I'd recommend you take a look at the third matchup just for the sake of seeing how that particular player fared. The little fellow had some opportunities but did not capitalize and one of them actually was a reverse layup attempt. There were also times where he seemed to make really solid moves but just couldn't deal with the size and length of Scalabrine.

Brian seemed to be protecting the paint first and foremost. Then when players recognized this and attempted step-backs, Scalabrine was often adept and sized well enough to still get out and strongly contest or block the shot. He seemed willing to allow opponents to take NBA threes. He'd still contest them, he just preferred to be in a position that left him about a step and a half from the hoop at all times which, again, created a situation where he'd be able to meet just about anyone at the hoop unless he literally had his ankles snapped off. And in those meetings at the rim, even on reverse attempts, it's going to be tough for a 6'2'' guy (or less) to finish with a 6'9'' 250 pound fellow on your hip or back.

The smaller guys would be able to get half open jumpers for sure but that's no match for the big guys taking them to the post all day. Not to mention the mental aspect of getting dunked on and the stamina drain from getting post up all day long. Those would mess up your shots.