Page 22 of 130 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253272122 ... LastLast
    Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    if Kansas can hold on I don't see why they can't be a top 5 ranking next week. This would be a HUGE win in hostile territory.

also that McLemore inbounds dunk was FREAKY athletic
    Duke, Indiana, Kansas, LOuisville, Arizona are the best five IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Duke, Indiana, Kansas, LOuisville, Arizona are the best five IMO.
    not sold on Arizona but yea you pretty much hit the nail on the head

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

My boy Gabe York dropping 6 points off 2 threes today.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

So IU's already had 2 freshman miss time because of booster problems and now the word is another freshman (Jeremy Hollowell) isn't dressing because of family contact with an agent.

This'll continue to get swept under the rug, but 3 members of one class having NCAA problems is well, a problem. I know the Hollowell stuff well, a lot of AAU talk that he liked Purdue a lot but Painter basically backed off for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    So IU's already had 2 freshman miss time because of booster problems and now the word is another freshman (Jeremy Hollowell) isn't dressing because of family contact with an agent.

This'll continue to get swept under the rug, but 3 members of one class having NCAA problems is well, a problem. I know the Hollowell stuff well, a lot of AAU talk that he liked Purdue a lot but Painter basically backed off for no real reason.
    Maybe Painter knew all along and thought he had no chance

Purdue has had some bad luck recently losing out on recruits. I mean Gary Harris seemed like a lock given his family's connection to the university and they still lost out.

If someone came out with a report saying the Big 10 was one of the worst conferences in terms of recruiting violations i would not be surprised there is just so much competition over some of these 4 and 5 star recruits, it makes it hard not to cheat
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 12-23-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Maybe Painter knew all along and thought he had no chance

Purdue has had some bad luck recently losing out on recruits. I mean Gary Harris seemed like a lock given his family's connection to the university and they still lost out.

If someone came out with a report saying the Big 10 was one of the worst conferences in terms of recruiting violations i would not be surprised there is just so much competition over some of these 4 and 5 star recruits, it makes it hard not to cheat
    Losing out on Harris legitimately sucked, but there's been NOTHING about his recruitment being on anything but the complete up and up. I won't lie, I've fed into the Twitter recruiting wars, the "he said she said" type stuff, there's been absolutely nothing about Harris being remotely close to just shady, let alone what I'd consider dirty (but Branden Dawson...).

Gary Harris was never remotely close to a Purdue lean, let alone a "lock," like Dawson allegedly was. Reading between the lines Harris was a helluva lot closer to going to IU and kept Purdue on the list as a parental favor to keep Purdue looking solid with top tier guys. And Painter had a massive chance to bring in Hollowell if he wanted to take it.

I'm not about to put my name on the line or anything like that, but I...I don't know how to word it really, I know enough that there's not a single Big Ten basketball program that'd come out clean from an in depth NCAA investigation outside of Northwestern. But there are absolutely certain programs more willing to play the game than others. Take it for what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Losing out on Harris legitimately sucked, but there's been NOTHING about his recruitment being on anything but the complete up and up. I won't lie, I've fed into the Twitter recruiting wars, the "he said she said" type stuff, there's been absolutely nothing about Harris being remotely close to just shady, let alone what I'd consider dirty (but Branden Dawson...).

Gary Harris was never remotely close to a Purdue lean, let alone a "lock," like Dawson allegedly was. Reading between the lines Harris was a helluva lot closer to going to IU and kept Purdue on the list as a parental favor to keep Purdue looking solid with top tier guys. And Painter had a massive chance to bring in Hollowell if he wanted to take it.

I'm not about to put my name on the line or anything like that, but I...I don't know how to word it really, I know enough that there's not a single Big Ten basketball program that'd come out clean from an in depth NCAA investigation outside of Northwestern. But there are absolutely certain programs more willing to play the game than others. Take it for what you will.
    yea Dawson going to MSU was a bit of shock. Not the first guy from Gary to commit to MSU. Maybe he had one and done in mind and with Hummels a lock at SF he didn't see it being a possibility. Probably more to it than that though, if you know what I mean.

Purdue should be ok, Painter has to convince this year's freshman class to stick around though. If they do, they'll have a nice group with Scott and Stephens coming in next year. I guess the key is Hammons, not many programs have a C like that.

Canada is going to qualify for the Olympics in bball soon....They always produced decent college players (Denham Brown, Kris Joseph, etc.), but there's been a spike of top-end prospects recently. Thompson going #4 in the draft. Bennett and Birch at UNLV. Wiggins being the top recruit for next season. And a lot more of the good college players that won't be anything but NBA role players at best like the first two guys I mentioned (add players such as Corey Joesph).

Sad to have to be excited to just qualify for the Olympics, but they could be chasing medals in a couple Olympics.

nt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Canada is going to qualify for the Olympics in bball soon....They always produced decent college players (Denham Brown, Kris Joseph, etc.), but there's been a spike of top-end prospects recently. Thompson going #4 in the draft. Bennett and Birch at UNLV. Wiggins being the top recruit for next season. And a lot more of the good college players that won't be anything but NBA role players at best like the first two guys I mentioned (add players such as Corey Joesph).

Sad to have to be excited to just qualify for the Olympics, but they could be chasing medals in a couple Olympics.
    Dont forget about Levon Kendall from Pitt lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    nt

Dont forget about Levon Kendall from Pitt lol
    Never would I ever. The guy should be chopping wood with Aaron Gray. lol

Can't forget about Stauskas at Michigan this year as well. One of the better freshmen in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

man i still remember hearing about him dropping 111 pts in a game. Played against him in a summer league this summer, he's lost it a little but still a RIDICULOUS shooter.

Don't forget Pangos. one of the best shooters in the NCAA. a little undersized to be a PG

Canada has always had good products but the problem is getting the younger guys to play with the national team BEFORE they peak. Team Canada (Steve Nash especially) has been focusing on youth development in the last few years and compared to when I was in HS there is a lot better training and commitment to international play every summer. I coached a development team in Ontario and every single player listed playing for Team Canada Jrs. as one of their goals. When I was in HS, every player just wanted to go play NCAA and go to the league, and leave Team Canada on the back burner because they were worried they'd get injured.

good to see Canadian players getting some recognition

May I ask which summer league Burgz?

man i still remember hearing about him dropping 111 pts in a game. Played against him in a summer league this summer, he's lost it a little but still a RIDICULOUS shooter.

Don't forget Pangos. one of the best shooters in the NCAA. a little undersized to be a PG

Canada has always had good products but the problem is getting the younger guys to play with the national team BEFORE they peak. Team Canada (Steve Nash especially) has been focusing on youth development in the last few years and compared to when I was in HS there is a lot better training and commitment to international play every summer. I coached a development team in Ontario and every single player listed playing for Team Canada Jrs. as one of their goals. When I was in HS, every player just wanted to go play NCAA and go to the league, and leave Team Canada on the back burner because they were worried they'd get injured.

good to see Canadian players getting some recognition
    Ya, Gonzaga has a couple really good Canadians. They're obviously in the category of good/great college players that won't amount to much or anything in the NBA, but it's great to see so many of them now in the NCAA.

Kabongo from Texas is a borderline first round NBA prospect. Another full season would have helped him. He's not exactly Wiggins/Bennett, but he has a legit chance of having a career in the NBA if he can get time on the court.

I know I'm missing a lot of players.

Congratulations to Dartmouth University for not being ranked one of the 40 worst college basketball teams in the most recent poll.

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    May I ask which summer league Burgz?
    University of Toronto summer league

a lot of guys who play in europe, D Leaguers, HS prospects (Andrew Wiggins played in it a couple years back) its pretty good competition for those who are good amateur ball players or trying to stay in shape for the season

i remember a vid showed up of Amir Johnson clowning dudes at our other campus summer league, def wouldnt have happened at our campus lol