Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phone in rice trick

This morning my phone got drenched. Now I cannot get a signal.
    I took the SIM card out and currently have it sitting in a bucket of uncooked rice. From everyone I've spoke with this has a pretty good success rate.
    I'm waiting a day and seeing if this works.

Has anyone NOT had it work?

rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Phone in rice trick

roommate spilled champagne on mine the other day, i rinsed it off and stuck it in rice... didn't really work until i put it in a tupperware container and sealed it for a few hours. it's working now though not perfectly but that might be an option?

it didn't work for my sister's macbook a few years back. but with cell phones as long as its immediate i'd say you're safe.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    This usually works but I had a friend who dropped her phone in a sink full of water, and even after putting the phone in rice it didn't work. But for some reason she cooked the rice first before she put her phone in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    This morning my phone got drenched. Now I cannot get a signal.
    I took the SIM card out and currently have it sitting in a bucket of uncooked rice. From everyone I've spoke with this has a pretty good success rate.
    I'm waiting a day and seeing if this works.

Has anyone NOT had it work?
    it works depending on how soaked your device got. remove the battery if you can. DO NOT try to turn it on until after it is fully dried out. also, if you have any of those silicone packets toss those in the bag as well, they work better then rice.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    roommate spilled champagne on mine the other day, i rinsed it off and stuck it in rice... didn't really work until i put it in a tupperware container and sealed it for a few hours. it's working now though not perfectly but that might be an option?

it didn't work for my sister's macbook a few years back. but with cell phones as long as its immediate i'd say you're safe.
    I can navigate my phone. I just can't get a signal. I actually waited until I got back from work before putting it in rice. Probably a few hours after I noticed I wasn't getting a signal? I can still get e-mails. I just can't go on internet, make calls or receive texts.
    Think it's caputs?

This usually works but I had a friend who dropped her phone in a sink full of water, and even after putting the phone in rice it didn't work. But for some reason she cooked the rice first before she put her phone in it.
    Haha! Are you Asian? You know we won't let rice go to waste!

BTW, I'm cooking the rice right after I'm done drying out my phone

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    it works depending on how soaked your device got. remove the battery if you can. DO NOT try to turn it on until after it is fully dried out. also, if you have any of those silicone packets toss those in the bag as well, they work better then rice.

good luck
    Bro, I've been navigating my phone all day. it's off now. Unfortunately I can't take out the battery. I have an HTC One.

Think it's done?

Local High School Star SunsN07BookIt's Avatar

I do a lot of duckhunting, and I've probably dumped 6-7 phones in the water over the last 10 years. I carry a bag of rice in my truck for this exact purpose. Works about 50% of the time. I spilled an iPod 5 in the toilet 2 months ago. Immediately put it in a bag of rice for 12 hours. It acted funky at first but everything started working flawlessly after a while except for the WiFi. I can't get WiFi with it any longer, so I have to get a new one.

Bro, I've been navigating my phone all day. it's off now. Unfortunately I can't take out the battery. I have an HTC One.

Think it's done?

the reason to not turn it on was to keep it from shorting out. since it's been working i'd say you are safe there. the problem that u have now is the risk of corrosion. i'd make sure it was entirely dry inside before using it again.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    the reason to not turn it on was to keep it from shorting out. since it's been working i'd say you are safe there. the problem that u have now is the risk of corrosion. i'd make sure it was entirely dry inside before using it again.
    That's good news. You made my day sweetheart

rank sentamentalist

I can navigate my phone. I just can't get a signal. I actually waited until I got back from work before putting it in rice. Probably a few hours after I noticed I wasn't getting a signal? I can still get e-mails. I just can't go on internet, make calls or receive texts.
    Think it's caputs?
    huh... mine's still cutting out sporadically and the battery is f*cked. so i guess i keep losing my signal. but i'm getting texts. my phone doesn't have internet capabilities haha. i'm just gonna get a new one, if you're gonna keep urs best take it somewhere

Lol so did it work

Haha! Are you Asian? You know we won't let rice go to waste!

BTW, I'm cooking the rice right after I'm done drying out my phone
    They say the trick works because the rice will attract an Asian overnight that will fix your phone for you

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    huh... mine's still cutting out sporadically and the battery is f*cked. so i guess i keep losing my signal. but i'm getting texts. my phone doesn't have internet capabilities haha. i'm just gonna get a new one, if you're gonna keep urs best take it somewhere

probably because some parts are corroded

Phone is fried
    I bought a replacement. Same provider. It's getting delivered. Is all I have to do is switch the SIM card and the phone should start right up?