Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    National High School Star

Default Re: Sprints versus endurance jogging

I would recommend hill sprints. I was seeing limited gains until I began a regimen of 6-12 hill sprints at the local freeway overpass.

Takes no more than 20-30 minutes per workout several days (4-5) per week.

Coupled with light weights 2-3 days a week I can definitely see great physique changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    I would recommend hill sprints. I was seeing limited gains until I began a regimen of 6-12 hill sprints at the local freeway overpass.

Takes no more than 20-30 minutes per workout several days (4-5) per week.

Coupled with light weights 2-3 days a week I can definitely see great physique changes.
    Does anyone do their sprints on sand (barefeet). I'm a bit concerned about doing sprints mainly because I need to improve my running stride (way too much heel involved). My choices are either a pretty rough concreteish track area, or though it's more effort to get there, the beach.

I'll definitely try to find a good hill. I think that'll definitely be next level for me. Right now, I'm just trying not to overtrain, and to get into good physical shape. I'll try push myself harder when I get back to California (in South Korea right now).

Interesting. I've been told I need to do more interval training, but i've mostly been concentrating on endurance stuff. Might need to swap it around a bit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Does anyone do their sprints on sand (barefeet). I'm a bit concerned about doing sprints mainly because I need to improve my running stride (way too much heel involved). My choices are either a pretty rough concreteish track area, or though it's more effort to get there, the beach.

I'll definitely try to find a good hill. I think that'll definitely be next level for me. Right now, I'm just trying not to overtrain, and to get into good physical shape. I'll try push myself harder when I get back to California (in South Korea right now).
    The best way to improve your running stride is to run on land that is as flat as you will actually be running on. Running on sand would strengthen muscles and be easy on joints, but ultimately it forces you to run somewhat differently which is not as beneficial to what you normally would run on. Same goes for hills. Hills will really strengthen your quads, but will do less for your hamstrings than flat land. What hills are really good for are improving your starts. When you start off running, you lean more forward (at peak speeds though your body is more straight up), which means it is more quad work and is at a similar angle your body and legs are at when on hills. If you over train one side or the other (i.e., your hamstrings or your quads rather than more equally), it creates tension pulling harder on one side and makes you more likely to pull or tear muscles. Keeping all this in mind, it is fine doing more novelty workouts such as hills and sand, but make sure you balance things out and have a majority of your workouts be more similar to the exercise you actually want to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    The best way to improve your running stride is to run on land that is as flat as you will actually be running on. Running on sand would strengthen muscles and be easy on joints, but ultimately it forces you to run somewhat differently which is not as beneficial to what you normally would run on. Same goes for hills. Hills will really strengthen your quads, but will do less for your hamstrings than flat land. What hills are really good for are improving your starts. When you start off running, you lean more forward (at peak speeds though your body is more straight up), which means it is more quad work and is at a similar angle your body and legs are at when on hills. If you over train one side or the other (i.e., your hamstrings or your quads rather than more equally), it creates tension pulling harder on one side and makes you more likely to pull or tear muscles. Keeping all this in mind, it is fine doing more novelty workouts such as hills and sand, but make sure you balance things out and have a majority of your workouts be more similar to the exercise you actually want to improve.
    This makes sense. Good to know. Thanks. Ah, just looking out the window and the weather is soooooo nice. It's going to be hard not to overtrain the next few weeks. Getting some new kicks in the mail in 12 days as well...love when Fall becomes Spring/Summer.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

This makes sense. Good to know. Thanks. Ah, just looking out the window and the weather is soooooo nice. It's going to be hard not to overtrain the next few weeks. Getting some new kicks in the mail in 12 days as well...love when Fall becomes Spring/Summer.
    No problem. Don't ignore your core (including abs, hips, and lower back).

Does anybody else get sick after exercising hard? I forgot about this (problem of mine).

I did a real good sprint workout yesterday 4 pm. Felt beast. Then felt a tickle in the throat an hour or so later. Eventually, around 10 pm I knew I'd had a full out sore throat.

I feel like this always happens to me; that I get sick when I push myself even just a little bit due to exercise. So frustrating.

Maybe it is something to do with my breathing..argh i dunno..
    I guess it is because I trained outside and probably did a lot of mouth breathing since I was sprinting. I've spent a lot of time relearning how to breathe the past year (going from mouth breathing to nose breathing), so probably this influx of air from mouth breathing really irritated my throat.

Anybody got any experience with this, or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    I think your referring to my post? Just out of curiosity, which country are you living in?

Injury prevention is imperative, you can't get results when your injured, so spend a few minutes warming up and doing some static/light stretching to get the loose and warmed up feeling. A rough surface isn't ideal to run on, so if you have the option, maybe try running up a hill or incline surface? This way, the intensity of your exercise is still really high, but the speed isn't going to be as fast as on a flat surface (more time to see obstacles or potholes, less stress on joints).

As for the basketball shoes, if they feel better to run in, then go for it. Better to wear out them than your ankles/knees. I usually buy good shoes but decided to be cheap once and I found my knees and ankles were sore from simply walking around at uni and work!

Diet wise, maybe you should try buy a protein powder if it's available, really easy way to supplement it into your diet on top of what your already getting. Increasing your protein intake will help in the building/maintaining of muscle, as protein is much less likely to be turned into fat. Don't wildly restrict carbs or fats, just try to get most of them from healthy sources. Here's a few ideas of healthy sources of each macronutrient (keeping in mind you don't like fish).

Protein:
    - Chicken
    - Eggs
    - Beef/red meat
    - Protein powders
    - Milk

Fat:
    - Eggs
    - Avocado
    - Almonds
    - Most nuts really (go for unsalted)

Carbs:
    - Vegetables
    - Fruits
    - Rice (brown's slightly better)
    - Pasta (brown again)
    - Bread
    Future repped

5-time NBA All-Star

Someone tell me the importance of LISS training and the dangers of too much sprinting on right ventricular hypertrophy correctly before I go on and tell everyone to fukk off the treadmill.

NBA Legend

Does anybody else get sick after exercising hard? I forgot about this (problem of mine).

I did a real good sprint workout yesterday 4 pm. Felt beast. Then felt a tickle in the throat an hour or so later. Eventually, around 10 pm I knew I'd had a full out sore throat.

I feel like this always happens to me; that I get sick when I push myself even just a little bit due to exercise. So frustrating.

Maybe it is something to do with my breathing..argh i dunno..
    I guess it is because I trained outside and probably did a lot of mouth breathing since I was sprinting. I've spent a lot of time relearning how to breathe the past year (going from mouth breathing to nose breathing), so probably this influx of air from mouth breathing really irritated my throat.

Anybody got any experience with this, or suggestions?

Yes, actually my body is very sensitive to equilibrium and when I dont get enough sleep or if my blood sugar gets thrown off due to calorie deficiency or too strenuous exercise I start to get really sick if I dont immediately get the sleep/calories/etc.

First thing I get is the sore throat. Then runny nose. Usually at this point I know Ive pushed something too hard and I try and get rest right away. But if I dont I end up with a brutal fever by the next morning.

Im always shocked when people can sleep like four hours a night for like a week straight, or can fast for days etc. Ive tried to do these things and my immune system just straight up dies and I literally end up with a flu that lasts for days EVERY TIME i try to push my diet/sleep/exercise beyond its normal levels. Its actually pretty frustrating bc Id rather be able to sleep and eat a little bit less but for some reason my body is just programmed to need more sleep and calories than the avg person I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Yes, actually my body is very sensitive to equilibrium and when I dont get enough sleep or if my blood sugar gets thrown off due to calorie deficiency or too strenuous exercise I start to get really sick if I dont immediately get the sleep/calories/etc.

First thing I get is the sore throat. Then runny nose. Usually at this point I know Ive pushed something too hard and I try and get rest right away. But if I dont I end up with a brutal fever by the next morning.

Im always shocked when people can sleep like four hours a night for like a week straight, or can fast for days etc. Ive tried to do these things and my immune system just straight up dies and I literally end up with a flu that lasts for days EVERY TIME i try to push my diet/sleep/exercise beyond its normal levels. Its actually pretty frustrating bc Id rather be able to sleep and eat a little bit less but for some reason my body is just programmed to need more sleep and calories than the avg person I think.
    Okay. Thanks for that. So it's not just me with the frustrating genetics. My gf never exercises, but has such naturally good genetics (breathing, heart rate, gets deep sleep on command, etc). She did the sprints and she feels fine. I even did like 3 weeks of slow endurance training + play hoops regularly just to get ready for sprints. So frustrating (and scary) how weak my immune system is. I eat right (carrots, bell peppers, chicken breast) etc and she just eats so-so and a bunch of desserts.

I guess I'll just try to get my fluids in, get some real good rest, and take a few days off and then push it again.

Sort of a self post; I just want to see where I am at the end of the April. If anybody else wants to post their before/after for the month and motivate each other let's do this!

Starting
    73 kgs (161 lbs)
    5'7
    Sprint speed going 70% for 40 yards (going to test this and will update)
    Max pushups 25
    Max pullups 6
    Max dips 10

Schedule for April
    Mon: Sprints (speed/high heart rate/minimal rest 8 X 40)
    Tues: Pullups X 5 sets, Pushups X 5 sets, Dips X 5...rest as much as needed
    Wed: Hoops
    Thursday: Pullups X 5 sets, Pushups X 5 sets, Dips X 5...rest as much as needed
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Sprints (speed/high heart rate/minimal rest 8 X 40)
    Sunday: Rest/badminton (doesn't even count as exercise lol)

Anybody know of an Android App to measure distance? I want to figure out how far 40 yards is on the unmarked grass field I'm using. Also, I use a semi grass/muddy field. Easy on the joints it seems compared to a harder surface.
    Last edited by sundizz; 04-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.