Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default It's time to have an HONEST discussion of Kobe vs Pippen

Now that both players' careers are in the books, I think we need to address this comparison honestly and objectively.

Let's do a logic experiment:

The Bulls threepeated with Phil Jackson (coach), MJ (alpha) and Pippen.

The Lakers threepeated with Phil Jackson (coach), Shaq (alpha) and Kobe.

So, it's obvious you do not NEED a second volume scorer to win a title. The Bulls didn't have one. They had good scorers, but no other VOLUME scorer besides MJ.

So we can deduce that Kobe's persistent attempts to rack up huge ppg while playing with Shaq were NOT an important factor in the Lakers threepeating. Basically they would have been just fine with Shaq being dominant and the rest of the Lakers moving the ball around, defending, and rebounding. Just like the Bulls.

However, it's pretty clear that Pippen was better at all these supporting elements than Kobe was. And again, these are the important things. Moreover, Pippen won SIX sidekick rings, whilst Kobe achieved only five.

Ultimately, Pippen edges out Kobe. It's not a case of Pippen >>>>> Kobe. But objectively, using logic, it has to be agreed that Pippen > Kobe.

Thank you for your time.

Banned

Default Re: It's time to have an HONEST discussion of Kobe vs Pippen

Scottie was a better complement to MJ than Kobe would have been.

Kobe was a better complement to Shaq than Pippen would have been.

This comparison is kind of like would you rather have Kawhi Leonard(Pippen) or Russell Westbrook(Kobe)

I personally like sidekick Kobe more than any other version of Kobe because he was an elite man defender in those days.

Although Pippen was almost able to get to the Finals WITHOUT Jordan after his first retirement.

Not sure who is better, but just figured I'd post some facts.

Local High School Star LilEddyCurry's Avatar

Kobe stan logic: 6>5

But that does not apply in this case cause Kobe has less rings.

So, it's obvious you do not NEED a second volume scorer to win a title. The Bulls didn't have one. They had good scorers, but no other VOLUME scorer besides MJ.
    You do not need a volume scorer at all. When MJ was replaced by scrub Pete Myers, the Bulls were equal with the great Knicks. Imagine if Pete Myers were replaced by another Scottie Pippen. Guaranteed title. Therefore MJ, Shaq and Kobe were totally unnecessary.

Pippen is 6/6.
    Call me when Kobrick reaches Pippen. Oh wait, did he retire and now has no chance to tie Pippen?
    OK then!

What Shaq needed to win- a high scoring 2-guard/playmaker who can come through in the 4th quarter, especially for free throws

What Kobe needed to win- Either a singularly dominant bigman or a frontcourt bigger than his competition combined with a very good scoring bigman

What MJ needed to win- a guy who could provide relief scoring and defend with him on the perimeter, and someone to do the dirty interior work

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by SwayDizzle
    what is this?
    Welcome to ISH. Check your brain at the door, logic and sense not allowed.

Pippen (without MJ) took his team to the conference finals twice.

Kobe without Shaq/Gasol took his team where?

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    Pippen (without MJ) took his team to the conference finals twice.
    1. The 94 Bulls didn't make the conference finals. They beat an injured Cavs team in the 1st round and lost to the Knicks in the 2nd round

2. The 2000 Blazers were an ensemble cast with Rasheed Wallace as their best player. Pippen provided veteran leadership and poise, but he was a glorified role player at this point in his career. He didn't 'take' that team anywhere.

6/6 > 5/7

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    1. The 94 Bulls didn't make the conference finals. They beat an injured Cavs team in the 1st round and lost to the Knicks in the 2nd round

2. The 2000 Blazers were an ensemble cast with Rasheed Wallace as their best player. Pippen provided veteran leadership and poise, but he was a glorified role player at this point in his career. He didn't 'take' that team anywhere.
    1. look, to you the Knicks might have won. but to me it was a rig job. so Pippen basically took them to the ECF.

2. Pippen LED that team.

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

pippen was an amazing talent but he is not top ten all time. kobe is...

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    1. look, to you the Knicks might have won. but to me it was a rig job. so Pippen basically took them to the ECF.

2. Pippen LED that team.
    1. No, it's not the Knicks might have won. They DID win. The reality is, if Jordan was on that squad, the series wouldn't have been decided on a shit call. MJ would have closed the deal in 5-6 games. What happened to the Bulls in 94 is the difference between having MJ, and not having him. Spare me the part about team records, because after a 73 win team choked away the championship in epic fashion, I don't ever want to hear 'but but they won 2 less games without MJ' ever again. Regular season record has been proven to not be the end all, be all.

2. Rasheed Wallace was the best player on that team. Pippen provided veteran leadership. And if you want to credit him for 'leading that team', then he also gets the blame for leading the 4th quarter chokejob and getting crossed over by pre-prime Kobe leading to the pivotal Shaq alley-oop to seal the deal.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Scottie was a better complement to MJ than Kobe would have been.

Kobe was a better complement to Shaq than Pippen would have been.

This comparison is kind of like would you rather have Kawhi Leonard(Pippen) or Russell Westbrook(Kobe)

I personally like sidekick Kobe more than any other version of Kobe because he was an elite man defender in those days.

Although Pippen was almost able to get to the Finals WITHOUT Jordan after his first retirement.

Not sure who is better, but just figured I'd post some facts.
    94 Bulls were as close to the finals as the 16 Heat were...