Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: More overrated? Kobe's 2006 RS, LeBron's 2007 PS, or Dirk's 2011 Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    All 3 very over-rated.

I'd say Dirk's finals is actually the most over-rated because he was pretty average. Had the flu one game in which he didn't do much until the end...and had the horrific shooting first half in game 6. Dirk did make some big plays late in those games which salvaged the series, but it wasn't the dominant performance people claim it was. Really I think people mean to say Dirk in the playoffs in 11...not the Finals.

Probably then Kobe's 06 season. Lebron statistically was actually better in the regular season and playoffs. Combine that Kobe's inability to dominate the Suns, a blown 3-1 series lead, and a quit in game 7.

Lebron's performance against the Pistons was pretty crazy, but outside that you'd expect better in the finals from an all time great player...even one just in his 4th year with the kind of experience he had.
    This!

Let all the stans see how non homerism is done!

Default Re: More overrated? Kobe's 2006 RS, LeBron's 2007 PS, or Dirk's 2011 Finals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zPf8Hjm8Bs

Dirk's game was poetry in motion during that finals run

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    OP should've included this as well. Easily the most overrated compared to the other three.
    Nah, just trolling on SpurrDurr and your part. Probably mad I'm addressing elephants in the room about your favorite player's overrated runs.

MJ @ 33, and 34 leading a team to back to back 72 and then 69 wins plus back to back championships, winning them over 4 60+ win teams in the process is overrated?

While basically putting up Kobe's number from 2008 - 2010 or better during that stretch?

And then winning his last ring, another third straight, on will power at the age of 35 ... with an injured Scottie Pippen being nonexistent in the later stages of the Finals?

Right. Overrated.

Then he goes on to say how Kobe, LeBron, and Dirk would've won with Pippen, Kukoc and Rodman. Easily. Even though the latter 2 weren't even all stars, and neither was Ron Harper. All were old as shit during that 2nd three peat too.

Meanwhile Kobe lost in 2004 w/ Shaq, Karl Malone, and Gary Payton. In 2011 lost in a sweep as defending champs w/ Gasol, Odom, and an emerging Andrew Bynum.

LeBron failed to win a championship as overwhelming favorites with peak Wade, and possibly peak Bosh in 2011. Why? Because he didn't even show up in the Finals. Guy got locked up by 84 year old Jason Kidd.

Dirk lost in 2006 with a stacked squad, and having Miami basically on the ropes. And then the same stacked squad that won 60+ games the next season got BOOTED in the 1st round by an 8th seed with Dirk in the lead.

I wasn't even going to reply given how stupid the comment was, an obvious attempt to troll but not I feel it need to be put to bed. The most overrated things in recent memory that get talked about on ISH.

1) Dirk's 2011 Finals
    2) LeBron's 2007 Playoffs
    3) Kobe's 2006 Regular Season

SpurrDurr is just bitter that I've called out numerous times how Duncan is possibly one of the most overrated guys in the top ten all-time. The guy who could never get his team to back to back championship series, let alone repeat and defend the crown. All with stacked squads, and great coaching. Even this year him and the Spurs failed to close it out when they had an opportunity in two games.

He bitter.

I actually think Kobe's 2008 season is pretty overrated. Especially when people think he was better that year than in 2007 and 2006. Dude just played w/ better players (hence the less shot attempts). That's it.

Lebron in 2007 = VERY overrated and Dirk in 2011 is only overrated by dumbass Werner homers.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You forgot at least 2 other people and maybe 3 depending on if Mcadoo actually hit it or just got there rounded off. I dont feel like checking but I know he was around it his MVP year. ANd I know Rick Barry put up 36 a game with I think 39 a game for 4 months of that season. And Baylor 38. Kareem was hanging around it. Dude put up like 36, 34, 39, and 34 points a game for 4 months straight. And he was pulling down 17 rebounds a night and getting 5 assists when an assist had to actually be an assist.

So few people knowing about it is probably the basis of it being overrated. Its just an arbitrary number that doesnt mean much of anything. Kobes 35 a game comes up all the time. Tiny Archibalds 34/11 leading the league in both never does. Something about nice round sets of 5...people reeeeeeeeeeeeally love the clean 35 or 20ppg instead of 19 or 25 and not 23.8. But its really not that different.

That seasons fame exceeds its place in history to me which I guess does make it overrated. But it could just as easily mean the other seasons like it are just underrated so...we can go with that.

The way he was taking over games in the WCF was amazing. Among the best contested pressure shooting of all time.

But he didnt do anything to remember outside that.

80 West puts up a fight there. The Lakers did once make the finals without playing a team with more than 42 or so wins. I think they played a 39 win team in the WCF. I think it was 42, 36, and 39 win opponents their first 3 rounds. It took Sleepy Floyd dropping I think 29 in the 4th quarter of one game to keep them from sweeping the entire west that year. They won 65 games and pretty much played 3 8th seeds to make the finals.

Which they won over the Celtics so its not like it wasnt a great team. They just...had nobody to even slow them down till the finals.
    wow someone levies a legit criticism against the overhyped Lebron's 2007 playoff run and Kblaze responds with deflection and complete non sequitor.

on topic, Lebron 2007 PS by far and not even close. It's completely asinine when that's invoked as evidence of Lebron's ability to carry the cavs because it disregards all contexts. Not all nba championship finals appearances are equal and the pre-Heat east was a joke which produced very few actual legitimate contenders.

Banned

Talk about comparing oranges and apples.

One game scoring high to a playoffs run to a single finals?

Lebron 07 playoffs is overrated when his stans always bring up how he took a team of scrubs to the finals, then make up other excuses when he plays poorly in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by SpurrDurr
    More overrated? I'd say Jordan 2nd 3peat is overrated.
    Kobe, Lebron and Dirk would have won 3 titles as well with such a stacked team as the 96-98 Bulls.

Pippen (94' MVP), Rodman (best rebounder and one of the greatest defender of all time), Harper (he was a 20/5/5 player before going to CHI but for obvious reason he had to accept a small role) and Longley are at least twice as good as Dirk's supporting cast in 2011.
    On top of that Bulls had by far the best bench.
    You shouldn't be talking. Your fav team has 3 different title runs where they faced three 50 win teams in the playoffs. Your team is full of chokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    You shouldn't be talking. Your fav team has 3 different title runs where they faced three 50 win teams in the playoffs. Your team is full of chokers.
    You would trade their success for your own favourite team's success.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    The whole run was something out of a fairy tale, it's easy to say "Oh, well LeBron's 2012 play off run was way more impressive" or something like that, but if you look at the odds Dirk's team went up against it was an underdog story.
    Eh, odds and underdog stories is all media bullshit and preconceived notions.

People just looked at the Mavs as a team with a decade full of disappointment, so nobody at the time could reasonably put stock in them.

In actuality, the Mavs from top to bottom were the strongest team that season, yet people still talk about them like they weren't even a top-5 team in 2011. They were deep and experienced and champions.

Calling it a "fairy tale" run is a bit much if we're basing it solely on the competition. By that logic, the rest of the roster deserves alot more credit than they get... the guys guarding Lebron, Kobe, Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    By that logic, the rest of the roster deserves alot more credit than they get... the guys guarding Lebron, Kobe, Durant.
    Those guys get a lot of credit on here.

Lebron's 2007 iz overrated, I would like to add tha spurs finals 1999 as well.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Those guys get a lot of credit on here.
    Nobody on the Mavs gets near the credit Dirk "Jesus" Nowitzki gets for that playoff run. After they won, Dirk, like 13 years into his career, suddenly had the "most unstoppable shot in NBA history", yet he kind of had done what he's been doing the last 5-6 years (with some improvement), and he had a deep team, teammates stepped up, starting lineup full of good defensive players, and good-great coach. Point is, when people refer to it as a "fairy tale" run and the tough odds it's almost never in the context of how great the Mavs were, but rather how great Dirk was.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Nobody on the Mavs gets near the credit Dirk "Jesus" Nowitzki gets for that playoff run.
    Off course they shouldn't. None of them were better or close to the impact overall to what Nowitzki brought to that team. He doesn't play the way he does, there's no title at all.

The rest is just some exaggeration that happens to a lot of all-time greats. Context ? That would favor Dirk more than the other way around. The rest of the basketball fans and in the future (casuals; don't know much about that Mavs) don't look into context, they'll just say that Dirk and the Mavs won a ring.
    Last edited by Legends66NBA7; 09-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Mj>lbj>kb.