Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Default Re: All-Time Writers Draft II

Leo Tolstoy is widely considered one of, if not the, best novelists of all time. He serves as an inspiration to nonviolent peacemakers like Gahndi and Martin Luther King Jr, and his War and Peace book is widely considered one of the best books of all time.

By the way, that picture is one of the first color photographs, taken in 1908.
    Last edited by MasterDurant24; 09-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

I thought you told me to edit my orginal post.
    Last edited by MasterDurant24; 09-29-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Bump.

Lets get this thing rollin folks it should be a very interesting one.

Booze is up...or maybe skipped at this point.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

disappointed in the lack of description in the choices, fellows. sure, "what hasn't been said", but i had planned on discussing that i've read, that i've not, style, tone, all that stuff.

---

i recently read a great article on tolstoy, his estate, his pacifistic tendencies (which i'm not a fan of personally), and connection with gandhi, and his family.

by peter t. white. national geographic vol. 169, no. 6. june 1986.

i couldn't find a link on the web, but i figure it would be pretty easy to find for any academic search engine for those still at college/university. it's a great article. i was lucky to stumble upon a stack of old magazines.

Yes, apparently Booze has a pending pick now, and the commish himself (Fatal) is on the clock.

And yes, let's get this thing going and trigger some debate. Motivate your picks dudes.

Btw, imo the 1st pick couldn't be but MJ... er, Shakespeare, so no negative stereotypes here.

Tolstoj may have come a bit early though.
    [COLOR="White"](That's what she said)[/COLOR]

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

so, third pick huh? Ill make it here in a second. Trying to decide between several worthy choices IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Yes, apparently Booze has a pending pick now, and the commish himself (Fatal) is on the clock.

And yes, let's get this thing going and trigger some debate. Motivate your picks dudes.

Btw, imo the 1st pick couldn't be but MJ... er, Shakespeare, so no negative stereotypes here.

Tolstoj may have come a bit early though.
    [COLOR="White"](That's what she said)[/COLOR]
    you guys ever buy into the shakespeare debates that the works were written as a collective or by other person(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    so, third pick huh? Ill make it here in a second. Trying to decide between several worthy choices IMO.
    man this is tough. trying to decide which authors will drop...... Ill make my pick within the hour, gotta work on some other stuff and IM not ready to commit yet.

despite white text on tolstoy, i agree with the non-hidden sentiment. i think there were better or equal russian writers, who might be taken much later or even not at all. BUT popularity counts i guess, which is fair, and he is #1 in russian minds.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    man this is tough. trying to decide which authors will drop...... Ill make my pick within the hour, gotta work on some other stuff and IM not ready to commit yet.
    i'm interested to see who the first 'non-classic literature' choice will be (not that you will make it, but in general)

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
    i'm interested to see who the first 'non-classic literature' choice will be (not that you will make it, but in general)
    yeah, im gonna play it safe in this round, but I may pick further down the list than people expect. For me, I dont really look at this as a competition, but a way to discuss our favorite writers and learn about other authors. I also want to cover the breadth of my literary interests.

How many rounds is this?

Well, although Im leaning towards a top dog type, I am going to pick Marcel Proust as my first rounder.

While his dense "remembrance of things past" can bog you down at times with its slow pace and storyline, the descriptive prose of this was ground-breaking and has never been matched. Other authors may be his equal in story-telling, but his evocation of the senses through his pen is unparalleled.

Ill add some more when I have more time, but I wanted you bums to move on.

owwwww

tough decision between three guys, give me 5 minutes...

Depends on how classic is defined, also. Can't make examples or i'd be dropping names, but you can see what I mean
    Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson