Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Default Re: Broussard: Brandon Roy retiring for medical reasons

Shoot, don't want to get into nostalgic hypotheticals now that he's going to retire but he was poised for a major breakout before he got injured in 2009.

In 2009, for around 22 straight games, he was averaging 26.5 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists on 48%+ FG before getting injured. Sure, it might've been a hot streak but considering that he was getting ample opportunities with Oden being injured and that most elite wing players don't achieve their best statistic years until their mid-20's to late 20's (specifically, ages 27-28*) and there's a high probability that the NBA just missed out on some huge and phenomenal years from B-Roy (27 years). The sad part being that we don't (and didn't) even get to see Brandon Roy in his prime.

*It's not exactly science but at age 27-28 seems to be the peak years for most elite wing players (at least, scoring-wise) as the following players had their best PPG average: Magic Johnson, Kobe, Pippen, Wade, Oscar Robertson, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, George Gervin, Elgin Baylor, Shawn Marion, and Paul Pierce.

F*CK

Everybody knew about his injuries, but it was just reported a few days ago that Roy was feeling good and that McMillan was considering starting him at the 2 again I was excited as hell. This news saddens me deeply.

Roy has been a great player and teammate throughout his short career. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy. My favorite Blazer of the past few years.
    He will be badly missed..

I just don't get how this happened. I thought everything was going good. All this talk of his summer with no set backs. I guess it was all lies.

I'm a bit in shock. He has to do what is best for himself and his family. This is a really sad day.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

I feel for you Blazers fans. I hope you guys rebound well. I just know without Roy the Blazers just aren't the same.

its going to be a crazy time for portland fans...

roy claiming hes retiring
    oden 1 year, saying hell probably move teams
    camby/felton/wallace all are free next year too

super rebuilding

I rule the local playground Semi's Avatar

Seems like all of you have forgotten the past. The playoff-series against Phoenix where he played despite the doctors where saying he shouldn't. When this happened I thought to myself, what a idiot, I'm sure this will haunt him. And it did. The only one he has to blame is himself, I'm sorry but he could've done something against it.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

this sucks for him, i was expecting a comeback from him

Quote Originally Posted by Semi
    Seems like all of you have forgotten the past. The playoff-series against Phoenix where he played despite the doctors where saying he shouldn't. When this happened I thought to myself, what a idiot, I'm sure this will haunt him. And it did. The only one he has to blame is himself, I'm sorry but he could've done something against it.
    Incredibly stupid and insensitive post dude. Shame on you.

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

It's crazy how at one point it looked like the Blazers would be the eventual team to beat. You had your franchise center, at the very least would be an excellent defensive anchor, a rising post player next to him who complemented very well, some young depth like Batum who could eventually become very good, some older quality depth like Camby and Pryz, and your superstar. Even last year you scored with Matthews and stole Crash.

Talk about a cursed organization. I feel for you guys; and it sucks for the NBA. Prototypical swingmen are dying with all these undersized combo-guards all over the place. I swear the average PG size is catching up with the SG size.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

from reggie evans

@Broy Lol

For every great player who succeeds in the league, there will be some other player's misfortune as such as B Roy's injuries to give more spotlight to the successful injury free players.

Did that make sense? ^^

Let me try again....

Injuries to players like B Roy, T Mac, etc... make it easy for the Kobes, LeBrons, and the Dwades to succeed with less fierce competition (whether for individual title of best player or winning rings)...

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Default It's sad to add Brandon Roy to that "could have been" list.

After today we have to put him in that same list as Penny, Grant Hill and others who were injured during the primes of their careers. A healthy Roy had the potential to be the best shooting guard in the league by this point.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Maaan this is just horrible. Such a prospect that had so much heart in him and loved the game.

I'll miss these moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61dRAp0voaM

I rule the local playground Semi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Incredibly stupid and insensitive post dude. Shame on you.
    So you tell me I'm wrong and this decision had nothing to do with his retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Semi
    So you tell me I'm wrong and this decision had nothing to do with his retirement?
    That's all speculation. Considering the circumstances it's a dick move to blame the player for the injury. He may have pushed it a bit but so do all star athletes. Not to mention it's insensitive because Blazers fans are obviously devastated by the news.