Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

Default Re: Free Agency

So now that it's pretty much known Lou will be the starter, who are some veteran PG's the Sixers could be targeting?

After looking through all the veteran PG's out there who could play significant backup minutes, I've found just 2 players. Jarrett Jack (restricted) and Anthony Carter (unrestricted). This is horrible.

Maybe Indiana's signing of Dahntay Jones would make them less likely to match an offer to Jack?

Willie can play some PG so I doubt they go after a guy who will eat up significant backup minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Willie can play some PG so I doubt they go after a guy who will eat up significant backup minutes.
    So you mean we bring back Kevin Ollie for the 46th time?

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    So you mean we bring back Kevin Ollie for the 46th time?
    I hope not. If Iggy plays 38mpg Lou plays 30mpg. Willie plays 22-24mpg. How much time is left for a backup? I doubt Jrue sits and watches. He might get some action/throw into the fire just for his defensive ability. Not sure. I dont want Anthony Carter. Really cant stand his game. I'd take CJ Watson instead.

Well if the Duhon rumors have any truth we would get our backup PG and still keep our MLE, though I doubt we use it. Maybe a portion of it if anything. I still believe we'll sign a big somewhere. Smith/Dalembert/Brand/Speights are our bigs right now. 2 Young guys, 2 of them coming off injury, and 1 wants to be traded and we're trying to trade him. Here's a list of UNRESTRICTED bigs still left out there.

Leon Powe (I like him, but knee troubles would make him nothing but a minimum guy to me right now)
    Mikki Moore (no thanks)
    Sean May (nope)
    Rasho Nesterovic (wouldn't mind)
    Lamar Odom (can't afford him)
    Brian Skinner (minimum guy I wouldn't mind)
    Shelden Williams (bust)
    Chris Wilcox (wouldn't mind)
    Drew Gooden (probably the 2nd best player on the list, but not particularly fond of him)

I'd take Wilcox, Skinner or Nesterovic All are those kinds of players who you know what you're going to get out of them every night, and none are in a position to really command more than a 1 year deal. We got back Brand and Smith, but we lost Ratliff and Evans. And I'd rather not see Thad playing power forward this year if we can help it. Depth at the bigs is always good since they're the most likely to be in foul trouble. 4 won't cut it.

Right now we have 10 guys (after Jrue signs) on our roster. A backup PG will make it 11, and I'm guessing 1 of those bigs will make it 12.

Saw a basketball once

How about a high energy big like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Played limited minutes at the end of the season with Spurs and Raptons and still averaged about 5 and 5. He can rebound, block shots and at 6'9" can defend 3 different positions. After losing Reggie, we need some energy.

I rule the local playground

I always liked Skinner, thought he played well here, but I don't know what he has left.

Wilcox I think would be a nice addition though. Gooden wouldn't be bad. Might be willing to take a shot on May or Shelden. Powe is a great bench guy, but yeah that knee is a concern, don't think he'll be back till around January.

Speaking of Skinner who is it that gave him that contract again (when he played here)? lol

Skinner is idea because he wouldnt demand nor expect to be given significant minutes. I dont think many minutes would be available. Elton 33mpg, J.Smith 15mpg, Speights 18mpg, Dalembert 25mpg. Finding a guy who wont mind 10-12mpg is who I say target. Heck maybe grab a NBDL guy?

Quote Originally Posted by dcathoops
    How about a high energy big like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Played limited minutes at the end of the season with Spurs and Raptons and still averaged about 5 and 5. He can rebound, block shots and at 6'9" can defend 3 different positions. After losing Reggie, we need some energy.
    A guy like that is what I wouldnt mind.

I'd rather have Skinner than a Pops type. Skinner can play both big positions defensively and Pops can't really guard any position. And if Dalembert or Smith went down with injury we'd be in trouble as far as centers go. I'm not comfortable with Speights playing significant mins at center.

True.

There's a reason guys like Pops can't stay on a team. He's a freak athlete trying to play basketball. Do we really need another Sam Dalembert on this team? Any "potential" label he may have had in the past is gone. He's not a young buck anymore.

Give me Skinner. Knows his role is limited, accepts that, cheap, can defend both big positions, veteran who knows how to use his 6 fouls, and can be serviceable if any one of our bigs go down (Dalembert/Smith/Brand/Speights). 2 of those guys are coming off of big injuries so while I don't necessarily expect one to get hurt I'd like to be prepared for it.

He doesn't still have that ugly blonde goatee does he? Gotta get rid of that before playing for this team.

Gotta agree with you.

Stefanski says we need a guard, a swingman, and 2 bigs

Decent playground baller 76ers4life's Avatar

I wonder who the Sixers are targeting I haven't heard anything outside of the Andre Miller issue. If it's 4 spots they need to fill I thought they would have gotten moving on that long time ago.