Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Quote Originally Posted by mrpuente
    why everyone hating on it being linear, thats what its supposed too be imo.
    That's what I'm saying, since when has Final Fantasy not been linear?

If people want non-linear go play Oblivion .

gonna go get this tomorrow! can't wait wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Played about 5 hours tonight with my GF. She keeps telling me to go faster so we can uncover more of the story.

I'm just trying to stay alive! Still learning the best way to use my paradigm shifts with different combinations of characters.

So far, this is easily the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played.

That's what I'm saying, since when has Final Fantasy not been linear?
    This game takes being linear to whole new level.

There's not even a minigame like Blitzball or a card game if you want a break from the story.

So far, I haven't been to a town where you can just chill, talk to people, visit shops etc ...

Every level is like a long and narrow corridor. Don't play this game if you're claustrophobic ...

And Lightning seems to be the only interesting character, and you only control her for like half the time, great move Square

I guess Snow is OK, but after that ? Meh.

Final Fantasy XIV comes out next year, and will me an online MMORPG.

Then you can sit around town talking to people for hours ala World of Warcraft.

I personally like the direction they took with this game... but I haven't played FF in years, so my opinion on the franchise doesn't mean much I guess.

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Final Fantasy XIV comes out next year, and will me an online MMORPG.

Then you can sit around town talking to people for hours ala World of Warcraft.

I personally like the direction they took with this game... but I haven't played FF in years, so my opinion on the franchise doesn't mean much I guess.
    Not to mention Final Fantasy XI is still rolling out new content & updates.

Final Fantasy in general has definitely been trying to cater to a more broad audience since FFX. I have a couple friends who are primarily FPS gamers, who bought FFXIII because of all the hype surrounding it, and they have enjoyed it so far.

For old school RPG fans, there are still plenty of franchises out there that haven't really strayed far from the basic formula(Wild Arms, Suikoden, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Tales Series etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    So far, this is easily the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played.
    Well, forget I said anything. I thought the 1st ten hours or so were horrible but it really gets better after that.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

Is the game really that good? I hear the graphic on PS3 is way more better than Xbox360. One of the main reason I want to play is because of the graphic performance. Any ways, I hate how they made the game so linear. Still thinking whether I should spend 55 bucks on that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    Well, forget I said anything. I thought the 1st ten hours or so were horrible but it really gets better after that.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

The game starts REALLY slow. It takes a good 10 hours before you can even use most of the basic abilities.

I'm about 20 hours in... and although the game is extremely linear, it's probably the best story in a game I've ever played. It probably helps that the graphics on my 46" Sony Bravia 1080p HD make the game look breathtaking... but the characters personalities and emotions are incredible.

This is the first game my GF has ever watched me played 100%. She even banned me from playing when she isn't home... which kind of sucks, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Can you give an example of what a good RPG is?
    Chrono Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Trigger is pretty linear. You can only choose where you want to go once you get the Wings of Time.

Chrono Trigger rules though. I wish they made a proper sequel instead of that confusefest Chrono Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Chrono Trigger is pretty linear. You can only choose where you want to go once you get the Wings of Time.

Chrono Trigger rules though. I wish they made a proper sequel instead of that confusefest Chrono Cross.
    Never played Chrono Trigger but Chrono Cross was legit.

Ok, so my first impression of this game was "... what the shit is going on?" then I started reading the Database stuff and more of it made sense and as the story progressed it became clear (I'm the Crystal Lake ATM... just beat that big Machine dude). It was very confusing at the beginning tho. The Paradigm stuff seemed like it was going to be really confusing, but took me only a battle to grasp. I find them quite entertaining because you are always doing something. In XII you could let the gambits do the work for and simply survey the situation... which was cool, but I like having to constantly be alert. I love the fact that HP replenishes after battles and no MP is cool... I'll miss seeing "Ether" in my item list though lol (unless it's used for something else now and I just haven't gotten one yet).

As for the characters... I like the black dude (can't spell his name yet lol but I love the chocobo fro) and I like Snow (he looks like a G). Lighting I'm on the fence... she is interesting but man she is such a biotch to Snow. Vanille annoys me so far but she ain't bad on the eye... and Hope is just sort of there ATM and hasn't been developed much so far. The other girl hasn't come into play yet but she looks like a hard ass.

Overall my experience has been great and I'd give it a 9/10 so far. I'm interested in the story so far and the gameplay is fun to me... I'm excited to play it. I just need to buy myself a nice ass TV so I can truly appreciate the graphic beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    Chrono Trigger
    Lol. Chrono Trigger doesn't fit your previous description of what a good RPG must conform to at all.

I just bought the game, and I have no idea why. Anyways, I'll be playing my Pokemon HeartGold first.

Good game. I got the ps3 version and my bro got the xbox version, cant say Im disappointed.

Im prob in that 20 hour mark as well, and have unlocked all the Gestaults but one. Trying to build my characters at this point, in a level I can actually explore more to do so.