Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Doko
High School Starter

Default Re: Tired of this Mismanagement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
If people are actually watching raptors games and expecting to see great performances and wins, you are in for a loooooooooooooooong season. Our roster is a joke. Only in Raptor land does a guy like Sonny Weems even get minutes. He's like a 12th man on most NBA teams. For whoever said our PGs are good.....take a look around the NBA! There are a TON of young, stud pgs. Our PGs are terrible! They are at best backups. Bargs is pitiful. I still think it's funny that people will say things like 'he kept us in the game' just because he scored some points.

Take away Bargs form this team, the first and the third game we lose in blowouts, the second game we don't win.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
RapsFan
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
Take away Bargs form this team, the first and the third game we lose in blowouts, the second game we don't win.

Just speculation on your part. There is more to the game then shooting jump shots.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Oh man boy am I fuming after this game

I'm tired of watching this team get dominated by crappy teams. Most of the players who are out there are doing something. Happy with Derozan, Evans, Barbosa and Kleiza. The rest of these pieces are garbage to begin with. BC trying to Build around Bargs what a joke this guy is nothing better than a second rate scoring SF that doesn't rebound (2 reb tonight 2 frikkin reb after Reggie gets 19 you can't even get 5 as a 7') or do anything else on his team to help out. He's the one that cost us the Sac game getting dominated inside by Demarcus cousins. We need to trade his ass immediately for a shotblocking defensive centre to protect the rim...cause were never gonna win with him.

Secondly this is the second time I've seen our team out coached in three games. Jay Triano needs to be immediately let go and is not worthy of a headcoaching job in the NBA. First sees Bargs gettting dominated then leaves him in....same thing happened in the NY Game got dominated by Wilson Chandler....I understand your gonna say that's a mismatch. However it's a mismatch going both ways. Jay should told Andrea to go ISO on him everytime on the block till he's stapled to the bench with foul trouble. When you see a mis match you go right at it. Also in the NY Game Kleiza was playing decent and Triano sits him practically the whole 4th and only brings him back when we have no chance of winning the game. My head aches.

Amir Johson mr 35 million can't stay on the floor because of foul trouble. I watched him in the presser saying he only expected 25 mil and then I felt like punching BC in the mouth.

Sunny Weems now thinks he's MJ trying to dribble through multiple double teams and taking terrible shots everytime he touches the ball.

Calderon can no longer pass....never been able to play defence and now lost his drive and shooting touch inexplicably.

JJ thinks he can beat everyone off the dribble and pounds the ball way too much for my liking.

David Anderson fits his role nicely but needs to play stronger on the boards.

This whole experiment has been a complete screwup from top to bottom. Hate to say it time to tank. Fire BC and his staff....we have gone from a playoff team in his first year to possibly being the worst team in the NBA. There is no explanation for this that could possibly save his job.

Fire BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 games into what is expected to be a bad season and this post comes up...lol. Funny funny sh!t. And it was actually a pretty good game.

If you really expected more then what you saw last night maybe you should have been reading this past summers post, and maybe any other basketball related sports sites to see where everybody expects the Raptors to finish this year.

It might prevent your head from exploding.

Last edited by b4ball : 11-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
RapsFan
Good college starter

It is frusturating though to see Bargs not rebounding at all and to see our newly minted Amir Johnson playing 10 mins a game while Evans (who has no future on our team) plays all the time. Typical Raptors management if you ask me. Yeah all those rebounds by Evans are great, but not at the expense of no offensive pressure on the D. He gets the ball at the free throw line and his defender is player 5 feet off him and Evans isn't even looking at the rim. Do you know how easy that makes life for the opposing D?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
FlªshGordon
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
Triano has been head coach for longer than that.

He took over 17 games into the 08-09 season (Mitchell was fired with the team having won 8 and lost 9). This was a team that had made the playoffs for the preceding two seasons and were widely expected to make them again. They went 25-40 under Triano in 08-09 and were out of contention for the playoffs way befor the end of the regular season.

He probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place (does anyone really think he'd ever have been given an NBA head coach role if the Raptors hadn't offered him the role?)- he was never likely to be as good as Mitchell, who should not have been fired. But while Mitchell was fired for silly reasons, it's forgivable that Triano was given a try at replacing him.

His poor performance in that first 70% of a season should have meant that he was replaced. He was given a shot, he failed, time to bring in a proper head coach.

For some reason (probably cheapness by the board), he was back for 09-10, and he failed again. Sub-500, missed the playoffs. There's no way he should be given any more chances, he's shown he isn't up to it, but he's back again. I suppose it doesn't matter as much now, the Raptors are going to suck anyway, might as well have a failure of a coach gathering them some extra losses. Lots of fans are kind of looking away this year and hoping the comeback can start next year- if the Raptors are in a better position next year (ie have a new franchise player from the draft), Triano better be gone for 11-12.

And Bosh absolutely was a franchise player, and was carrying a less-than-stellar supporting cast into the playoffs before Triano took over.

I don't blame Jay, he's just overpromoted by an incompetent GM.

In his first full season he was using a roster that was an experiment to keep Bosh there. I don't blame him for that season at all. Turkoglu sucked, DeRozan was a rook, Calderon was a bum, etc. That was on BC.

And no, Bosh wasn't a franchise player and never will be. The best he ever did was take us to the first round, woohoo. Wade, LeBron, Kobe, etc. have taken sub-par supporting casts a lot farther than that.
FlªshGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
It is frusturating though to see Bargs not rebounding at all and to see our newly minted Amir Johnson playing 10 mins a game while Evans (who has no future on our team) plays all the time. Typical Raptors management if you ask me. Yeah all those rebounds by Evans are great, but not at the expense of no offensive pressure on the D. He gets the ball at the free throw line and his defender is player 5 feet off him and Evans isn't even looking at the rim. Do you know how easy that makes life for the opposing D?

The Raptors aren't having any scoring issues, we can put the ball in the basket. So despite Evans lack of offensive ability he give us another chance to score, which we do for the most part. Rebounding was our single worst element last year, and in only three games, we have the league leading rebounder, and some want to get rid of him!

Kleiza did not have a good game, Barbosa did not deliver and Jack was terrible last night. This was off set by DeRozan having a great game, Evans a rebounding machine, and the team as a whole getting to the free throw line a total of 29 times and making 9 three's.

We played some great D, rebounded the ball and got to the line, saw Jose come alive a little, Bargnani continue to score and got the result most of us expected, a loss. We lost to a team with Tyreke Evans, Omri Casspi and DeMarcus Cousins. On paper they have a much beter line up, and we took them to the final few seconds of the game.

I just don't see where some fans want to jump off a bridge.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
RapsFan
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
The Raptors aren't having any scoring issues, we can put the ball in the basket. So despite Evans lack of offensive ability he give us another chance to score, which we do for the most part. Rebounding was our single worst element last year, and in only three games, we have the league leading rebounder, and some want to get rid of him!

Kleiza did not have a good game, Barbosa did not deliver and Jack was terrible last night. This was off set by DeRozan having a great game, Evans a rebounding machine, and the team as a whole getting to the free throw line a total of 29 times and making 9 three's.

We played some great D, rebounded the ball and got to the line, saw Jose come alive a little, Bargnani continue to score and got the result most of us expected, a loss. We lost to a team with Tyreke Evans, Omri Casspi and DeMarcus Cousins. On paper they have a much beter line up, and we took them to the final few seconds of the game.

I just don't see where some fans want to jump off a bridge.

Great D? We gave up a big lead and allowed the Kings (bad team) to hang 111 on us, including 95 points the final 3 quarters. Special D.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
FlªshGordon
Saw a basketball once

We all knew this season was gonna be bad, at least I hope we did. We're going to take a lot of lumps this season, but it'll be good for all the young guys in the future and hopefully we'll snag a top 3 pick (Barnes, Jones, or Irving). Irving would solve our point guard issues as long as he is as good as Coach K and everyone else says.

I can live with having a poor record this year, I'll be delighted if we overachieve and snag the 8th spot in the Eastern Conference though.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
RapsFan
Good college starter

Not me. 8th seed would be horrible. Give away our pick to Miami and have nothing to build on. We need a high lottery pick to have some hope for the future.

The only thing I wish for this year is consistent mins to Amir, DeRozen and Davis. That remains to be seen.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
T-Low
College superstar

To be honest, I am tired of seeing Colangelo promote Bargnani as the leader of the team. If you want a leader of a team, look to the whole damn team before Bargs.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
DJMason
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
To be honest, I am tired of seeing Colangelo promote Bargnani as the leader of the team. If you want a leader of a team, look to the whole damn team before Bargs.

AMEN. It's sad to see a once-thought great GM essentially destroy his career over one bad draft pick. Can't kill him too much for picking Bargs in a relatively weak draft. It's how he's handled Bargs after everyone knew he wasn't a true #1 pick that has been a complete disaster.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
Tool
Ball til I fall

Three games in and I'm so bored of this team.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlªshGordon
In his first full season he was using a roster that was an experiment to keep Bosh there. I don't blame him for that season at all. Turkoglu sucked, DeRozan was a rook, Calderon was a bum, etc. That was on BC.

And no, Bosh wasn't a franchise player and never will be. The best he ever did was take us to the first round, woohoo. Wade, LeBron, Kobe, etc. have taken sub-par supporting casts a lot farther than that.

Jack Armstrong says it best (paraphrasing): "the game is more about the Jimmy's and the Joe's, than the Xs and the Os."
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #29
keantona
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlªshGordon

'an experiment to keep Bosh there' by building the best team possible for that season. Yeah, Colangelo did not do a great job, but this was not, as you seem to imply, some weird rebuilding team, it was a full-on, forget-the-future attempt to get as many wins as possible that season to get the franchise player to stay by convincing him the team could contend. Just like the previous season, the team was widely expected to make the playoffs (for example, if you look back at old posts here, I believe that the consensus both times was that the Raptors were near-certainties to at least make the playoffs). And just like the previous season, the head coach, Triano, failed to get them there. And of course, the fact that so many players underperformed reflects on the coach, just as the fact that so many players overperformed in 06/07 and 07/08 reflects on Mitchell's man-management skills.

Wade, Bryant and James are better than Bosh and Bosh is still a franchise player. A franchise player is a player that would be the best player/figurehead of an average NBA team. Bosh is a top-15 at least player in the NBA, and would instantly be the best player on the roster if he was traded to the majority of NBA teams.

Last edited by keantona : 11-02-2010 at 05:27 PM.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #30
FlªshGordon
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Jack Armstrong says it best (paraphrasing): "the game is more about the Jimmy's and the Joe's, than the Xs and the Os."

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
'an experiment to keep Bosh there' by building the best team possible for that season. Yeah, Colangelo did not do a great job, but this was not, as you seem to imply, some weird rebuilding team, it was a full-on, forget-the-future attempt to get as many wins as possible that season to get the franchise player to stay by convincing him the team could contend. Just like the previous season, the team was widely expected to make the playoffs (for example, if you look back at old posts here, I believe that the consensus both times was that the Raptors were near-certainties to at least make the playoffs). And just like the previous season, the head coach, Triano, failed to get them there. And of course, the fact that so many players underperformed reflects on the coach, just as the fact that so many players overperformed in 06/07 and 07/08 reflects on Mitchell's man-management skills.

Wade, Bryant and James are better than Bosh and Bosh is still a franchise player. A franchise player is a player that would be the best player/figurehead of an average NBA team. Bosh is a top-15 at least player in the NBA, and would instantly be the best player on the roster if he was traded to the majority of NBA teams.

No, that is not what a franchise player is. At least not from this fan's perspective. There is a difference between who you are promoting as the face of your franchise and a true franchise player. A franchise player should be practically synonymous with superstar. A player who can carry a team, elevate the team's play and his own. It is a player who you can truly build around and could carry a team of players who are around the average mark, ala LeBron when he took the Cavs to the finals against the Spurs, or Wade since day 1. Give Wade a few parts that are above average and he wins a ring. Bosh doesn't equal a franchise player.

As for the pieces put together last season: how is Turkoglu doing in Phoenix under a different coach? Get back to me on how the "pieces" Colangelo assembled for to win with are doing on different teams this year under different coaches. Belinelli? Wright? No, the Raps team of 09/10 was not very good, better than this year, but still not very good. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2010.html It was a poorly assembled group of players. Colangelo is not as smart as everyone thought.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: