Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
00playboy00
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Let DeMar develop

watching the first four games of the season derozans showed flashes of brilliance. Triao keeps playing barbosa who has propbaly peaked on pontential. We wont get anywhere unless we play him 1nd 2nd option
00playboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Tool
Ball til I fall

Default Re: Let DeMar develop

Well who are we kidding Derozan has been the ONLY bright spot. Since when did Weems get so selfish? Or wasn't I not watching him play last year, Triano seems to give him a pass every time he takes a bad shot. Barbosa just has to go hes not even healthy and he wasn't all last year what are the chances he shows any sense of urgency on the floor. Trade him for a young point guard or something. Maybe Mike D would take him in NY, I would honestly rather have Toney Douglas.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
bada bing
College star

i feel Triano hates DD for some reason. this guy is our only hope and bright spot yet triano just doesn't care.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
Maybe Mike D would take him in NY, I would honestly rather have Toney Douglas.

not likely the knicks give us a younger, better player for barbosa
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Tool
Ball til I fall

I know right, kid dropped 30 on the Bulls a couple nights ago.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
kmart
No props needed

I'm just hoping that Barbosa gets injured fairly soon and is done for the season. More minutes for Weems and Derozan.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I'm just hoping that Barbosa gets injured fairly soon and is done for the season. More minutes for Weems and Derozan.

I'm hoping we trade Barbosa for an expirer like Kapono. We would then only have $40M in salary committed for next season and a high 1st round pick
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I'm hoping we trade Barbosa for an expirer like Kapono. We would then only have $40M in salary committed for next season and a high 1st round pick
Yeah, i'd personally rather we could get rid of him than for him to get injured and have a very low trade value. After now watching some of these games, this team looks to be exactly what I expected it to be. Therefore i'm not really disappointed and skill level is a bigger concern than effort.

Notable things I got from now watching some games:

- Amir Johnson STILL can't stay on the floor (to this point) and hasn't done a lot to justify his big pay raise.
- Air Comp10 has certainly improved his game although he still has a lot more to work on.
- Bargnani still looks lost defensively and on the glass, and as for his offensive game, it doesn't really seem to have expanded very much, it's just that he's putting up a couple more shots per game.
- Reggie Evans is giving us this year what we expected from him last year. Hopefully with it being a contract year for him, we can trade his ass before the deadline.
- Weems I don't know why people tried to insist he hadn't peaked. Statistically he has improved a little as expected with more shot opportunities. But at the end of the day he's still just an 11th or 12th man on any good team.
- Calderon has sucked royally. And I just don't see any use for him on this team anymore. I wish we could get rid of him.

Last edited by bokes15 : 11-06-2010 at 04:05 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Yeah, i'd personally rather we could get rid of him than for him to get injured and have a very low trade value. After now watching some of these games, this team looks to be exactly what I expected it to be. Therefore i'm not really disappointed and skill level is a bigger concern than effort.

Notable things I got from now watching some games:

- Amir Johnson STILL can't stay on the floor (to this point) and hasn't done a lot to justify his big pay raise.
- Air Comp10 has certainly improved his game although he still has a lot more to work on.
- Bargnani still looks lost defensively and on the glass, and as for his offensive game, it doesn't really seem to have expanded very much, it's just that he's putting up a couple more shots per game.
- Reggie Evans is giving us this year what we expected from him last year. Hopefully with it being a contract year for him, we can trade his ass before the deadline.
- Weems I don't know why people tried to insist he hadn't peaked. Statistically he has improved a little as expected with more shot opportunities. But at the end of the day he's still just an 11th or 12th man on any good team.
- Calderon has sucked royally. And I just don't see any use for him on this team anymore. I wish we could get rid of him.

Agree with the bolded, kinda. Per Hoopsdata.com, Bargs is taking 2 more shots per game this year so far. However, he's actually taking slightly fewer shots "at the rim". He is, however taking more 2 more shots per game at closer (less than 10 feet), and a couple more shots per game at 16-23 feet. This is at the expense of fewer shots from 3. So, he's changed his game slightly (getting closer to the bucket), but not to the point that we'd all like to see, which is at the rim (there's the "kinda"). His move inside has allowed him to draw more fouls (4 more FTA/G than last year), but moving further inside would boost the # more, which would be beneficial to all. So, it looks like he's trying... i guess.

This is all through a pretty small sample size (for all players), let's remember.

The defense/rebounding is well documented, and a rather boring discussion at this point, to be honest.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

Yes, it may be a boring/redundant discussion especially for those who were expecting some kind of dramatic improvement in those areas for his 5th season. But for those of us who have been annoyed by for the last 2 seasons especially having half the board act like Jay Triano with the "give it time" approach, it's kind of nice having nobody for him to hide behind anymore. Whatever he does this season is not the coach's fault, is not his teammates fault, is not anyone's fault, it's just gonna be him and who he is as a player. Period. And again, he's doing just what I expected out of him. More points, lower fg%, still a poor rebounder, and essentially not much of a post game. The one thing which is good that you pointed out is the increased FTA's but virtually everything else aside from points are a marginal improvement if any.

Last edited by bokes15 : 11-06-2010 at 06:26 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Yes, it may be a boring/redundant discussion especially for those who were expecting some kind of dramatic improvement in those areas for his 5th season. But for those of us who have been annoyed by for the last 2 seasons especially having half the board act like Jay Triano with the "give it time" approach, it's kind of nice having nobody for him to hide behind anymore. Whatever he does this season is not the coach's fault, is not his teammates fault, is not anyone's fault, it's just gonna be him and who he is as a player. Period.

Agree wholeheartedly. What I meant by "boring" was that there isn't really much more to say than what's been said. We could probably just bump old posts for the rest of the year or something on it. Like Q has said repeatedly, a guy is who he is as a rebounder, and there's generally little development in that regard throughout their career. Not much a coach can do if a guy just doesn't have it in him to go get a basketball. Bargs is averaging 3 RPG right now or something, I'd be surprised if he were anything other than his career average by the end of the year.

And if he hasn't learned how to be a help defender by now, I'm not expecting him to learn it. I guess I'm just resigned to it.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: