Default Check out Earl Monroe 1969 NBA ASG Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RJB9lSEqk

For some reason reminds me of Kyrie

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Check out Earl Monroe 1969 NBA ASG Highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

I believe that reason may be dementia brought on by old age. Consult your family physician ASAP.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I believe that reason may be dementia brought on by old age. Consult your family physician ASAP.
    ouch

For some reason
    reminds me of Kyrie
    skin color ?

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Not sure how. Monroe was taller, bigger, flashier, Irving could not defend him, and had a wider offensive repertoire. Iriving is a better shooter and ball handler that's about it.

NBA rookie of the year

Greg Monroe

Local High School Star

By modern standards, he's not very quick or athletic, tbh. But he does have excellent fundamentals and a good midrange game. Not sure if he's got a left hand, since all his layups from the leftside were shot with his right.

I'd like to see the 9 shots he missed rather than just the 6 he made. That would give me a better idea of his overall scoring capability. With his spinning post-ups and mid range game, he reminds me of Mark Aguirre, with better ball handling/agility, but less rugged size.

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

woah.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Not sure how. Monroe was taller, bigger, flashier, Irving could not defend him, and had a wider offensive repertoire. Iriving is a better shooter and ball handler that's about it.
    It's the way they give several fakes and handle their layups, there's something similar about it. I know they aren't the same size/type of players in general.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-12-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    By modern standards, he's not very quick or athletic, tbh. But he does have excellent fundamentals and a good midrange game. Not sure if he's got a left hand, since all his layups from the leftside were shot with his right.

I'd like to see the 9 shots he missed rather than just the 6 he made. That would give me a better idea of his overall scoring capability. With his spinning post-ups and mid range game, he reminds me of Mark Aguirre, with better ball handling/agility, but less rugged size.
    Athleticism (vertical athleticism specifically) was never part of his game even in his own time though. He, along with Dick Barnett, are cited by players of that time as two of the only players in that era 6-4 and up that couldn't dunk (even in practice).

His quickness looks fine to me, he's got that off-balance looking what's-he-gonna-do-next dribble and he gives tons of movement and fakes. That's an effective way to use what he's got. Which is good balance, coordination, and decent size (James Hardens height, though built a little lighter).

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

My dad was a Pearl fan, so I heard about him a lot as a kid. He used a variety of fakes, spins, and jerky movements. Not a leaper, but not un-athletic..don't get those confused.

I agree! The Pearl was a revolutionary force back in the day. Cousy was the first razzle dazzle PG due to his passing ability. I think the Pearl was probably the first great "playground" style SG or combo guard. He was the precursor to guys that would come down the pike later like Kyrie. Ironically, Pearl was 6'3 and 185-190 pounds. The same size as Kyrie. When it came to flashy guards, Cousy, The Pearl, and Maravich were the first three great guards to really put it on the map. Big O and West were more textbook and not flashy.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I agree! The Pearl was a revolutionary force back in the day. Cousy was the first razzle dazzle PG due to his passing ability. I think the Pearl was probably the first great "playground" style SG or combo guard. He was the precursor to guys that would come down the pike later like Kyrie. Ironically, Pearl was 6'3 and 185-190 pounds. The same size as Kyrie. When it came to flashy guards, Cousy, The Pearl, and Maravich were the first three great guards to really put it on the map. Big O and West were more textbook and not flashy.
    Is he only 6-3 did he admit that or something? I've not gotten his without shoes height but he was listed 6-4 and looks almost as tall as 6-4 and 3/4 Oscar Robertson when they stood next too each other in the game intro. So I assumed that was his without shoes height but I suppose it's possible he exaggerated it the late 60s was when contracts started becoming bigger and the larger than life list info was starting to make it's way into the league (really took off by the late 70s/early 80s).

Banned

Nice, would probably start on my HS team