Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    No thanks on Metta unless they buy him out which they aren't likely to do. Metta in the Triangle, the Princeton and the Flex with his IQ! Rice they did at the time but O'Conner said they don't do that in regards to Bell. Hedo I could see on the Jazz but than you risk him taking minutes from Hayward and Burks. Googs was at the end of his career so he was a good vet to have around for a few minutes.

To me that's not plan A though. Plan A is to go after the best guys out there that fit with the young guys but aren't going to stunt their growth anymore than has already been done and aren't going to screw up their flexibility the next 3 years. In the end if you still have money to take on contracts than you do like Cleveland did with Memphis. They got some good young players that might be part of their team going forward for free basically.
    Oh no, not plan A for me either, more of a completely strike out in FA type scenario. Absolutely agree the best (and only sensible) thing to do is to go out there and find the guys you think fit into the core you already have.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Which is what happened in '04. It was really the first time they'd been in that situation after 20 years of playoffs and they wasted their time going after restricted FA's like Terry and Willie Green(others? I can't remember.). They learned from that and while going after restricted FA's again they targeted two they knew their teams couldn't match the offers with Okur and Boozer. Than they blew it with AK's max deal unfortunately which hurt them for years to come.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Four.html?pg=3

From Mo:

"With those young guys, they're going to need some veteran guys around them," Williams said. "They're going to grow next year.
    Definitely. You see how much the vets have helped the kids especially Al with Enes and one look at the Wizards this year with some vets around compared to last year without them.

Earl: [QUOTE]"The young core is going to be amazing for the future," Watson said. "Enes Kanter is going to be a great player, the bigs with Fav, and Gordon and Alec

Which is what happened in '04. It was really the first time they'd been in that situation after 20 years of playoffs and they wasted their time going after restricted FA's like Terry and Willie Green(others? I can't remember.). They learned from that and while going after restricted FA's again they targeted two they knew their teams couldn't match the offers with Okur and Boozer. Than they blew it with AK's max deal unfortunately which hurt them for years to come.
    I remember they signed Jason Terry and Corey Maggette to deals, but that was a case of them only signing because the teams they were on said "Go out and get a deal and we'll match". They were smart (also risky) with Okur because Detroit couldn't afford both Sheed and Okur so they gave him a big deal. Boozer was lucky I guess, but at the time I remember they were thinking of offering a max deal to Kenyon Martin also.

Maggette that's right. I thought there was someone else. Willie Green too I believe.

They talked to Martin. Not sure how serious they were about him. Boozer made more sense for the Jazz though he hadn't proven himself as much at that point in time.

Maggette that's right. I thought there was someone else. Willie Green too I believe.

They talked to Martin. Not sure how serious they were about him. Boozer made more sense for the Jazz though he hadn't proven himself as much at that point in time.
    Yea, I think you're right. I vaguely remember it being a 4 year/$16 million deal or something along those lines.

I think they had scheduled talks with Martin, but didn't even have a chance to talk with him before they snapped Boozer up. Overall it was the better signing and since Martin scored a AK $84 million max deal and like AK, didn't really deliver on it, Boozer's $68 million deal was better value.

Jody Genessy: NBA front-office types voted Denver's Masai Ujiri executive of the year. Jazz's Kevin O'Connor got two second-place votes, finished 13th. Twitter
    2nd place votes for what?

Caught a bit of Tomic tonight in the Euro semis. Looked like he'd put on some weight. Maybe he's ready?

Steve Luhm: Arrived a little early for Jazz pre-draft workout today. Bumped into Jerry Sloan, who was on his way out. Must have been asked to watch ... Twitter @sluhm

Jeff Hornacek will be a head coach in the NBA, probably

Wolters averaged 22.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 38.1 minutes per game last season at South Dakota State.

He has spent the past month at the IMG Academy in Florida, where he has prepared for pre-draft workouts with trainers and coaches, including ex-Jazz assistant Kenny Natt.
    Should be well prepared for what the Jazz throw at him.

With zero point guards under contract for the 2013-14 season and beyond, it's no wonder the Utah Jazz's first pre-draft workout included several intriguing playmaker possibilities. Not surprisingly, the guys brought in for this spring's first tryout session knew a few things about the Jazz: 1) Utah has a "Help Wanted" sign up for its guard positions; and 2) this organization has a rich point guard history. Deseret News

"Utah does need a point guard. Everyone's aware of that," Texas guard Myck Kabongo said. "I'm just privileged to be here. I was excited to come out here to Utah." Deseret News

Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, did walk over to Jamelle Hagins and told the 6-foot-9 athlete within earshot of media, "It's a tough workout. You did a great job." Deseret News

Nate Wolters believes he'd be a "a good fit" with the Jazz, and said he's pretty good at reading defenses, running pick-and-rolls and loves to "just get teammates involved and make plays for others." Deseret News

Caught a bit of Tomic tonight in the Euro semis. Looked like he'd put on some weight. Maybe he's ready?
    I reckon he's signed with Barcelona until 2015. Dunno if he has any early buyouts or not on that though.

Found this.

He has a 5 million Euro buyout agreement, roughly $7,056,200 US.
    Not sure if this changes from year to year or not? So now could be the time to do it if they think he's worth it. They have the money now to pay him enough to make it worth his while. If they could get him in the Summer league camp going head to head with Enes and Favors to see exactly what they have it would be nice.

That buyout might be from his last contract?

Says he's up to 260!

Found this too:

2013年3月6日