Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Are you in the path of Hurricane Sandy?

No word from Thorp?

video outside one of my friend's in apartment in Manhattan. This was supposed to be a street.

https://www.facebook.com/v/10102483767801290

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

It's very random. I never lost power, and no damage. Internet just came back. Some of the blocks in my area have 4/5 trees down. The whole streets are blocked off. Driving around this afternoon was a trip, you think its ok because your block is ok but you go two blocks down and it's ****ed up.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    those kind of waves actually appear from time to time in my nightmares. I don't know what it is about that type of event, but it scares the s[COLOR="Black"]h[/COLOR]it out of me.

Funny thing is I moved 6 months ago from Long Island City to Astoria. I'm away from the water now so I'm ok. The thing with the damage is weird because you can be in one spot where there's literally no damage, then walk 2-3 blocks away and there's trees down everywhere. NYC is not at all prepared to deal with something like this. They're estimating $20 billion in damage.

I have two concerns: 1)An already failing economy becoming even worse(especially here in the city) and 2)Increased taxes to cover the damage.

yikes

Walked down to the riverfront in Brooklyn tonight. Very spooky, half of Manhattan is dark and behind the black outlines of building you can see all the lights glowing from Midtown and higher.

That powerplant that exploded has backuplights on, but that is literally the only light you see below 14th street.

Somehow it's an even weirder feeling that the blackout when the whole city was dark.

They want to still have the NYC marathon this Sunday. Going to be an emotional day if they do.

On Monday, it rained and there were strong winds. On Tuesday, it became sunny and warm.

We just recently got our power back. It's been so cold for the last few days.

Don't ever underestimate the speed of the storm surge. I know people who've been through it say they can't stress it enough but holy shit I've never seen anything like it. I thought the water coming in would be visible and obvious enough so that we can act accordingly, but it just sneaks up on you so quietly before you know it the water is coming up to your knees. The damage done to my house was limited but this is the first time I was legitimately scared of the storm. Seriously **** floods. Those waters can suck my dick.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    We just recently got our power back. It's been so cold for the last few days.

Don't ever underestimate the speed of the storm surge. I know people who've been through it say they can't stress it enough but holy shit I've never seen anything like it. I thought the water coming in would be visible and obvious enough so that we can act accordingly, but it just sneaks up on you so quietly before you know it the water is coming up to your knees. The damage done to my house was limited but this is the first time I was legitimately scared of the storm. Seriously **** floods. Those waters can suck my dick.

Where in Brooklyn are you?

My brother is without power and heat in Red Hook. My in-laws in CT, have a flooded basement.

My grandmother's nursing home in Sheepshead Bay had to evacuate and they took her a place on Long Island, which then lost power. They then said they could move them back to Sheepshead Bay but we haven't been able get through on the phone yet. My brother should be able to get out their tonight.

My best friend grew up in Breezy Point right near where the fire was. His Mom's house was flooded and probably will be condemned. She was at a nearby convalescent home. They told my friend they were evacuating so he didn't go to pick her up, but they never did evacuate. The whole first floor was destroyed. He tried to drive out to see the house, but they are not letting folks in yet, but the parts of Rockaway he did see were devastated.

A group near me is packing up clothes and food to go out there, so I'm gathering up some stuff.

I work in Hoboken on the Water, still flooded out there. That Path train station with the water pouring out of the elevator was my station.

There's another storm coming. Please consider making a donation to the Red Cross. This is going to be bad for a while.
    Last edited by FillJackson; 11-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.