Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BEAST

Default Re: 26 years old and want to get into basketball

all you need is to show up at the court and run pick up to get in the sport

there's absolutely nothing that you need to do to get in bball

however, given that you are a beginner, i would say choose your competition so you dont get intimidated, because likely you will be owned even by some of the regular ballers out there

or you can just shoot around by yourself, get used to the sport and like the sport then spend time on what you want to improve on

kings fan

I started playing basketball when I was fat OP, but I was, like, in 7th grade and not that fat.

I started by just shooting the bball, which was my favorite, and giving full effort on D. No one passed me the ball because I could only shoot, so I learned to dribble. Then I started getting the ball, but I couldn't hit layups and never felt like I deserved to be taking so many shots anyway, so I started passing. Then I got to high school and didn't get a chance to handle the ball as much because there were better players, so I added off the ball movement to my game... then I stopped playing.

I'd get yourself a personal hoop and just shoot and dribble by yourself until you think you're good. I remember studying Dirk's form, JJ Redick's form, Peja's form, Nash's form, Kobe's form, Wade's form, (never liked Ray Allen's form, lol), and I watched the Better Basketball shooting vids in 2006. After studying, I'd practice.

About your weight: I'd look up ketosis: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2598293&page=1, http://www.tren.net/HEALTH_SPOTLIGHT/KetosisCAMB.pdf, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM.
    Last edited by cuad; 08-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Never too late to start playing ball man, but in terms of your goal of being a good player it will take time. Start learning the fundamentals, shooting, dribbling, passing, rebounding, driving, finishing below the rim just to name a few. I suggest downloading a basketball dvds from piratebay or something.

Then, actually playing pickup games to practice what you've learnt and gain experience and improving your basketball instincts.

For me, being a better player motivates me to practice harder. Nevertheless, it's a win-win situation for you as you will lose few pounds as you keep practicing.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    You are so old and over weight. I think you need to get back in shape before you play 5 on 5 basketball.
    I think you need to grow a pair before you start talking shit

An Icon Forever

In terms of getting in shape, is there any specific exercises I need to follow?

I can't even run one mile; that is how bad my endurance is at the moment.

As long as I try to get some cardio and weight lifting in, I should be good right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2deathbanonamagbasketballpandakkasi
    I think you need to grow a pair before you start talking shit
    Why are you so mad Dagul? I just saved his life.The dude will suffer a major heart attack if he plays organize basketball. Please Read his posts below.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    In terms of getting in shape, is there any specific exercises I need to follow?

I can't even run one mile; that is how bad my endurance is at the moment.

As long as I try to get some cardio and weight lifting in, I should be good right?

Just buy some Billy Banks or Gilad tapes. What's your job BTW? I am a good trainer. I will make you a good role player in less than 1 month.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 08-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Why are you so mad pandakiko? I just saved his life.The dude will suffer a major heart attack if he plays organize basketball. Please Read his posts below.

Just buy some Billy Banks or Gilad tapes. What's your job BTW? I am a good trainer. I will make you a good role player in less than 1 month.

I am a college student. How many miles should I be able to jog/run before I am considered to be in good shape?

I am a college student. How many miles should I be able to jog/run before I am considered to be in good shape?

I really have no idea. Just run and exercise in the morning because it's much easier to drop some weight. What kind of foods do you eat? I think you need to eat some low calorie foods. 160-170 lbs is the ideal weight for a 5'9-5'10" guy.

Do the couch to 5k program, and on the off days just practice shooting. Diet trumps everything else. Without proper diet, the program will fail, so make sure you research clean and healthy eating first and foremost.

Running 3 miles non stop is decent cardiovascular shape. Once you can do that, practice running the full length of a court, alternating layups, 3 pointer, and jumpshot on each trip down to either end.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    Do the couch to 5k program, and on the off days just practice shooting. Diet trumps everything else. Without proper diet, the program will fail, so make sure you research clean and healthy eating first and foremost.

Running 3 miles non stop is decent cardiovascular shape. Once you can do that, practice running the full length of a court, alternating layups, 3 pointer, and jumpshot on each trip down to either end.

Thanks man. When you mean running 3 miles do you mean literally running, or do you mean jogging 3 miles?

Also, do I need to lift weights as well?
    Last edited by Heilige; 08-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks man. When you mean running 3 miles do you mean literally running, or do you mean jogging 3 miles?

Also, do I need to lift weights as well?
    10 minute miles for 3 miles is a good starting point. The couch to 5k program won't have someone running say 3 miles in 21 minutes in 2 months. For lifting, check out starting strength by Mark Rippetoe.

NBA Superstar

An additional note I find to be important regarding getting into the game of basketball: when playing five-on-five games (or four-on-four, or three-on-three) attempt to do the things that require effort. Many inexperienced folks base the level of their play upon how many shots they were able to take. I think you'll be able to experience more success early on by concentrating on the things that may come easier to you at this time: boxing out, setting screens, establishing position for rebounds, never giving up on a play, etc. From that point, the glamour of the game will unfold itself naturally over time.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-06-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    An additional note I find to be important regarding getting into the game of basketball: when playing five-on-five games (or four-on-four, or three-on-three) attempt to do the things that require effort. Many inexperienced folks base the level of their play upon how many shots they were able to take. I think you'll be able to experience more success early on by concentrating on the things that may come easier to you early on: boxing out, setting screens, establishing position for rebounds, never giving up on a play, etc. From that point, the glamour of the game will unfold itself naturally over time.
    I love playing with these types, especially the ones that can rebound and kick out passes rather than trying to evade defenders in the back court with senseless lateral dribbling. If I'm on the arc and a shot goes up, I'm taking off as soon as the shot is released.

An Icon Forever

An additional note I find to be important regarding getting into the game of basketball: when playing five-on-five games (or four-on-four, or three-on-three) attempt to do the things that require effort. Many inexperienced folks base the level of their play upon how many shots they were able to take. I think you'll be able to experience more success early on by concentrating on the things that may come easier to you at this time: boxing out, setting screens, establishing position for rebounds, never giving up on a play, etc. From that point, the glamour of the game will unfold itself naturally over time.

I don't know what things such as boxing out and setting screens mean. See, that is how much of a novice I am....

Well, I'm 5'9" to 5'10" and got about 210-220. When I stopped playing ball I was much larger, lost some wait, stopped losing and at the moment I'm doing excersizes again.

I'll split this into three parts:

1st:

I played ball about 3-5 times a week till I was 21 stopped for 2 years and gained alot of weight.

Here are the things I did and do to lose it:

Diet. It's as guys already said the first step to losing weight, there's no use if you do excesizes and refill with a chocolate bar, and Burgers.

Your body needs 2000 kcal(hope they use that for metabolism in the US aswell - else 8400kJ) if you just sleep all day. So basically you have to eat less than those 8400kJ and you lose wait. First step. Drink water and only water, no apple juice, no orange juice. Only drink "sugared" drinks if you need energy doing sports and nothing more than 250ml of it. That will contain about 10g of sugar that's absolutely enough for your purposes at the moment.

Eat meat twice every week or once meat once fish. If you eat meat eat poultry, don't eat pork. If you can cope with it never ever eat it.

Eat fresh vegetables. Don't eat carbohydrates in the evening(5 hours before bed time after 3pm). Sugarfree yoghurt is about the best thing you can eat in the evening. Don't eat after 5pm.

If you feel the need to have a snack eat an apple or two. Be aware that an apple contains carbohydrates. So no apples in the evening.

Be creative, cook for yourself, take your time it helps to appreciate the food you eat.

There's alot of helping lecture about calorie diets, I guess couch to 5k will contain a metabolism diet aswell, because it's the most useful from my experience.

One more thing's to add, don't count everyday's calories. It'd be a crash diet than and you'll bounce back to gaining weight.

Count it weekly. Start with 12600 kcalories(52900kJ) weekly, which is a lot actually. Drop it by 100kcal(420kJ daily) by the third week and drop it every two weeks.

Why does this help the most? It allows you to eat badass junkfoot, chocolate or crisps sometime aslong as you compensate it. You won't get frustrated, because you can eat some of the "good" stuff aswell.

2nd part:

Forget running for the moment. It's one of the most stupid things you can do at your condition. It's exhausting, you won't be able to run long enough to lose weight. For about the first 15 minutes you only burn A(denosine)T(ri)P(hosphate or fast energy for us cavemen to run from predators). You burn no fat at all. So until you can run for 15+x minutes it won't help you, the opposite it harms your joints, because you're too huge.

To lose weight you need to do atleast about 30 minutes of steady excersize with a pulse below 120bpm. Pulse above 120bpm will make you heart grow and slow down the "fatburning".

Instead of running which will raise your pulse above 120bpm for sure, walk if you can do nothing else. Walking kills 500 to 600 kcal(2100 to 2520kJ) per hour. Start by walking for 10 minutes, steady not slowly. You should feel a little fatigue if you're as unconditioned as you say. Raise it by 5 minutes every week, walk 3 times a week atleast.

A better sport for you actually is swimming. Swimming kills more energy, trains your muscles, doesn't raise your heartbeat nearly as much as any other sport and the most beneficial thing about it, it saves your joints from any pressure.

Another quite good sport's cycling. I cannot run a mile without pain, do to chronic ankle injury, but I can cycle for about 5 hours without any fatigue.

So all in all walking is the easiest work out to access, you just need you feet, swimming is the best fatburner in my opinion, cycling is hard to access if you haven't got your own bike and even though I'm overweight aswell, I got great endurance for my frame(well I hoop three times a week usually at the moment, less in winter, I swim every sunny day for about 3 hours atm). I can keep up with alot much skinnier guys on the courts I usually ball.

which leads me to the third point:

3rd:

Balling.

As some guys already mentioned learn the technique. The shooting form, how to correctly grab a rebound but also learn the rules, study players playing the game. Since you don't particulary appear to be build to ball, most people on most courts won't consider picking you. Show your knowledge and your skill. Basketball is alot about knowledge of the game. If you can set a pick and roll correctly it's pretty awesome for most ballhandlers already. Read into it. Learn the terms used in the game.

I don't know any books, since I'm not from the US and learned the most by studying players I liked. So youtube helps alot, wikipedia explains alot of terms and got links to good bball sites.

So you acquired some knowledge and you're heading to the court.
    Since you can't lose all your weight in one day(actually more than 4-6 pounds per month isn't healthy) you're most likely the widest guy around. Maybe people will look down on you, because you off the norm, but don't let yourself be intimidated by that. Your obviously biggest handicap is your biggest advantage aswell. Learn some back to the basket moves. Nobody can strip you the ball, due to your frame. I operate in the post against much larger guys usually and I'm pretty successful at it - I surprised alot of people for years, even did today.

Aside from the post moves this by rake is some great advice.
    People love guys doing the dirty work, because alot of people just want to be the one doing the fancy things. If you're not playing along complete boneheads they'll appreciate it. Your can be the decisive guy without scoring, if you grap rebounds on the defensive end and help to set up teammates on offense.

Quick explaination, but googling it would help even more:

Boxing out means that you get in the way of your man and establish strong position to get a rebound. So you have to be between the floating ball, your man and the basket.

Setting screens. A screen is a (non)move, where you use your body to block the running path of an opponent. Your feet have to be set, else it's illegal but on playground it's not called most of the time.

There are on ball screens where you block the path of your ball handlers opponent or off ball screen where you block the path of an opponent who's chasing a non ball handling teammates.

Off ball screen require some sort of understanding of the situation. Where's an on ball screen works out most of the time if you know when to move from it.

establishing position for rebounds. Well this is a tough part. A rebound is catching the ball after a miss, may it be your own teammate's miss, offensive, or your opponent's, defensive. Establishing position means you set your feet and don't let your opponent pass by you(boxing out). You lower your center of gravity and anticipate the path of the ball. It requires alot of knowledge or rather experience of the game, since position for the rebound is about 80% of getting the rebound already. In short. Most of the time the ball bounces on the opposite half(draw an imagined line from one hoop the opposite one and split the court into a left and right half). If the guy shoots from the left half the ball will most likely bounce to the right half. Where exactly you establish your position depends on your knowledge/experience.

Hope that wasn't too much bad english gibberish.