Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Default Top 10 without awards

If you have to make a top 10 list of all time without rings,mvps,fmvp how would you make the list, based off individual performance.??

Make your top 10

Default Re: Top 10 without awards

Eye test

Therefore,

1. Kobe
    2. Kareem
    3. Durant
    4. Magic
    5. Bird
    6. Hakeem
    7. Malone
    8. Oneal
    9. Robinson
    10. Pippen

With accomplishments etc.

1. Kobe
    2. Kareem
    3. Magic
    4. O'neal
    5. Bird
    6. Wilt
    7. Duncan
    8. Russell
    9. Hakeem
    10. Malone
    Last edited by G0ATbe; 12-15-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I suspect Elgin Baylor gets a lot higher than he does on a normal ranking. Same for David Robinson.

College superstar

Difficult to give a list that takes into account older generations, as we typically remember those that won, or won awards.

That said, my list would change very little, as I try to not confuse team awards with the success of an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I suspect Elgin Baylor gets a lot higher than he does on a normal ranking. Same for David Robinson.
    oooo David Robinson would probably be on my list, i couldnt make one cuz its too hard to decide, so im curious to see what others would say

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Difficult to give a list that takes into account older generations, as we typically remember those that won, or won awards.

That said, my list would change very little, as I try to not confuse team awards with the success of an individual.
    Yeah i hear you, i would think people would rate Kobe higher due to skills and players like Russell lower.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

On Russell...most would have a hard time ranking him because he becomes....his resume. Id still rank him about the same spot...because of how that resume came together.

ANd Kobe I dont think would go much higher...mostly because of the number of guys who were dominant in similar fashion but lack his resume.

Guys like Bob Mcadoo, Drob, Baylor, and others start to climb fast.

On Russell...most would have a hard time ranking him because he becomes....his resume. Id still rank him about the same spot...because of how that resume came together.

ANd Kobe I dont think would go much higher...mostly because of the number of guys who were dominant in similar fashion but lack his resume.

Guys like Bob Mcadoo, Drob, Baylor, and others start to climb fast.
    Yeah i hear that....Karl Malone i would guess would be up there too
    very long prime but no rings

College superstar

The player that moves up the rankings the fastest, in my mind, without considering accolades (though that does not mean he does not have any) would be someone like TMac. He's never considered a top player or guard or anything. But aside from injuries shortening his career, he still had a seven or eight year stretch where he was in the discussion for best player in the league.

I'm sure there are other players, like (just tossing names out without real knowledge) Dantley, McAdoo, Melo, Howard, English, Goodrich, that never really won anything or did anything, but still scared the living hell out of each and every opponent they played.

High School Varsity 6th Man MastaKilla's Avatar

KG might move into or close to the top 10 but thats about the only change

Not really... Both had individual reasons as to why they didn't lead a team to a title... It wasn't anything based on luck or so.

High School Varsity 6th Man MastaKilla's Avatar

i don't understand how this would change much, it's not like the guys in out top 10s just lucked into a bunch of individual accolades + championships.

Oscar, KG, Robinson, Hakeem, Wade, CP3, Dirk (among others) move up significantly for sure.

EDIT: Manu too.
    Last edited by fpliii; 12-15-2014 at 05:58 PM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    If you have to make a top 10 list of all time without rings,mvps,fmvp how would you make the list, based off individual performance.??

Make your top 10

Thats how I always rank players

Which is why I have guys like Shaq, Kidd, D-Rob, Stockton, Rodman, much higher respectively than where most people put them.

The truth is the top 50 or so players of all time are clustered together much more closely than most people realize. Fans naturally want to see a few legendary players achieve some sort of mythical seperation, which really isnt the case and thus fans try to create it artificially. People love the hero ideology. But in reality its not as applicable as people generally think.

Anyway in an all-time IMPACT ranking, one thing is certain, which is that Kobe is definitely not even top 30. Period. The one thing he "does" which is score in volume, is inversely related to how successful his team is. When he actually does chuck up a lot of points, theyre more likely to lose. Hes been fortunate to have the Lakers franchise and some extremely clutch teammates. Hes prob the luckiest player in NBA history tbh. But I personally dont use luck as a criteria for ranking.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 12-15-2014 at 06:05 PM.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Wouldn't change my list too much.

Wilt probably moves on top just because of statistical dominance but that's pretty much it. Few old timers move up a little bit like Baylor/Oscar, but yeah.