Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #3406
Fatal9
owwwww

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
Are they that much harder? I'm not saying you're wrong it's just that I've heard differently from other sources. For example, Harvard is notorious for grade inflation
Some schools are, but on average it is much harder to succeed at a top university. I've gone to the two best schools in the country (mcgill/uoft), and the exams of those universities are on another level from what we see as the second or third tier. I remember looking at a calc exam of a friend who was in the same program, doing the same level course as me and laughing at difference between my papers and his. Look at some open course ware exams that are on the net. Good schools have a standard to maintain. I've only really looked into this in depth on Canadian universities because I have friends at almost all of them. I'm not sure what it's like in the US, though I remember using some MIT exams as practice (they have opencourseware) and finding them insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroticVanilla
I don't understand the point of stopping at 85%, your paper was good enough for your teacher to hold onto it for future classes to use as an example of what she's looking for in a paper, but it doesn't warrant a 100? Do you have to pull some Einstein theory of relativity out of your ass to get a 100? why even have 86-100 if it's impossible to get it?
85 is the highest tier on our grading system (4.0) so it was "perfect". I think some univerisities in America give 4.0 to only 90+ which has more to do with grade inflation than anything (ie. easier to get 90 so 4.0 is only 95+). I know people have told me when they did Med/Law school applications to the US, they had to adjust GPAs as a result.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #3407
EroticVanilla
Sexual Chocolate=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
85 is the highest tier on our grading system (4.0) so it was "perfect". I think some univerisities in America give 4.0 to only 90+ which has more to do with grade inflation than anything (ie. easier to get 90 so 4.0 is only 95+). I know people have told me when they did Med/Law school applications to the US, they had to adjust GPAs as a result.
I see, that makes sense.
EroticVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #3408
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
A quick google only returns that Britain's grade inflation pertains to GSCE and A-levels, which are high school level. Not part of the discussion.

Often means frequently, or many times, it does not have to imply majority.

Yeah it does. This is what you have to stoop to? ~PT~ level semantics? Often, frequently, etc, means habitually, as in more than half, as in a majority (51%<).

Maybe they don't teach you that in UK universities.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #3409
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
What the hell? Just look above and you can see they aren't top 10 in the world.

The two premiere world university rankings has UM in the top 20 of the world. If you consider graduate programs, which is what really matter, they're even higher. The point remains you said they weren't even top 10 in the US. On that point, you couldn't be more wrong.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #3410
momo
Value Ape.

Jesus, it is not rank the last freeking university gang. Whole dam page of this crap. Start a new thread.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #3411
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Un Prophete

Très bon.

It lived up to the hype. It is one of those movies that I was glad to spend nearly three hours with.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #3412
thebirdman
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Kick-Ass

I had read nothing about this film before I saw it, only glimpsed a couple trailers. Early on I got roughly what I expected, then it got a bit insane. I was trying to type out a decent description of it, but failed miserably. All I can think of to say is that this movie was f*cking weird, but f*cking great. So I apologise for the worst movie review ever, but please go watch this.
thebirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #3413
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

^^^How have so many people already seen this?

I need to see it.

Anyway, last film I saw was Book of Eli. Good thing it was only in the 99 cent theater.

5/10.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #3414
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Yeah it does. This is what you have to stoop to? ~PT~ level semantics? Often, frequently, etc, means habitually, as in more than half, as in a majority (51%<).

Maybe they don't teach you that in UK universities.
1. You were the who interpreted what I said incorrectly, I had to reiterate to you that I said "often", and not "all the time".

2. Colloquially, I'm going to use often in situations such as if: Person A walks to work 45% of the time, drives to work 45% of the time, and takes the bus 10% of the time. I would say he often drive or walks but seldom takes the bus.

3. Do you even have evidence that grade inflation is not mostly (as in a majority) due to colleges wanting to retain students?

4. Why don't you show me these two "premier" world ranking of graduate schools, the "only' rankings that matter because apparently your 3-4 years at an undergraduate institution have no impact on your life at all. Once again its you changing your story after the fact.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #3415
Best Of
Saw a basketball once

I thought this was going to be a thread where I could find a good movie...It started out that way at least.
Best Of is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #3416
EroticVanilla
Sexual Chocolate=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Of
I thought this was going to be a thread where I could find a good movie...It started out that way at least.
You want a good movie? What genera?
EroticVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #3417
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:
1. You were the who interpreted what I said incorrectly, I had to reiterate to you that I said "often", and not "all the time".

2. Colloquially, I'm going to use often in situations such as if: Person A walks to work 45% of the time, drives to work 45% of the time, and takes the bus 10% of the time. I would say he often drive or walks but seldom takes the bus.

3. Do you even have evidence that grade inflation is not mostly (as in a majority) due to colleges wanting to retain students?

4. Why don't you show me these two "premier" world ranking of graduate schools, the "only' rankings that matter because apparently your 3-4 years at an undergraduate institution have no impact on your life at all. Once again its you changing your story after the fact.

Would you PLEASE just start a new thread to argue with Duce? Have some respect for one of the better OTC threads.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #3418
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

Rushmore. directed by wes anderson. starring jason schwartzman, bill murray.
man what a great movie. its so refreshing to see a movie like this that's so original and so creative. anderson does an excellent job directing and the music just fits so perfectly. schwartzman was phenomenal as well as was murray. watch this movie pronto, very enjoyable.

9/10
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #3419
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Coldblooded

I really enjoyed this. Stumbled upon on it on a torrent site for obscure movies and thought I'd give it a shot, and I'm glad that I did. This is a pretty entertaining dark comedy about a borderline autistic, socially inept guy nearly devoid of emotion from LA who inadvertently falls into a job as a hitman. And turns out to be really good at it. It's pretty low budget, and the acting is at times a bit wonky, but overall it's at the very least a decent time-waster. It has a certain charm about it and I did laugh a few times.

7/10

Couldn't find a trailer for it, but here's the scene with Michael J. Fox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqUo8RaJ23Q

Care to share that torrent site via PM?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #3420
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Un Prophete

Très bon.

It lived up to the hype. It is one of those movies that I was glad to spend nearly three hours with.
Yep. Great movie that doesn't get nearly enough exposure.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: