Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
gigantes
   

Default Re: Nets trade Marcus to the GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
How do you figure? It could end up being a higher pick than the spot you drafted him and he wasn't exactly playing a ton last year.
the point was not his PT or his averages, the point was his potential. and it wasn't potential in the typical sense of "we've been hanging on to this guy for years because his potential is still so high". the fact is that marcus williams never even had a second training camp.

hope that clears things up for you.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
babybulls85
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
the point was not his PT or his averages, the point was his potential. and it wasn't potential in the typical sense of "we've been hanging on to this guy for years because his potential is still so high". the fact is that marcus williams never even had a second training camp.

hope that clears things up for you.

you drafted the guy as a future replacement for JKidd, but then you traded and got someone better with more potential, Devin Harris. Almost every player in the league is drafted on their potential, so can you never trade a player early in their career? Also, while you may have drafted him on his potential, he didn't improve much from his rookie year.

Marcus Williams is too young to be a career back up. His trade value, even with potential, definitely wasn't higher than a first round pick, and now you can draft a position of need.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #18
gigantes
   

Quote:
you drafted the guy as a future replacement for JKidd, but then you traded and got someone better with more potential, Devin Harris. Almost every player in the league is drafted on their potential, so can you never trade a player early in their career? Also, while you may have drafted him on his potential, he didn't improve much from his rookie year.
don't forget that harris has four years in the NBA, two of them as a starter. meanwhile, marcus only had a single training camp in the NBA and only got to start a few games.

also, of course we like harris and of course we hope that he will be a superior PG in the NBA but it's not a guarantee of anything. saying that marcus didn't improve from his rookie year is the kind of observation that someone millions of miles away from the situation would say. the reality is, there were mitigating circumstances to consider.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #19
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:

How is a 1st round pick for a player averaging 6 pts and 2.5 assists a game similar at all to trading a 2nd round pick for an ex-DOPY averaging 13 rpg and 3.6 bpg?

Can't you see the 1st round pick is lottery protected?
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
babybulls85
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Can't you see the 1st round pick is lottery protected?

So a lotto protected 1st rounder is equivalent to 2nd round pick now adays? I didn't know that. My point was also that marcus williams isn't close to the player camby is.

Quote:
saying that marcus didn't improve from his rookie year is the kind of observation that someone millions of miles away from the situation would say. the reality is, there were mitigating circumstances to consider.

I understand that he was limited to games by injury, but my point is that I don't think the nets would have been able to keep both harris and williams and williams' playing time was not going to increase this year, even before they got dooling. Therefore, right now was probably his highest trade status.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
gigantes
   

@babybulls,
it was a settlement. they settled for a protected first-rounder (not the worst exchange) versus giving him one more training camp and half a season to see what he could do... with the possibility that he could have shown himself to be a starting-level NBA PG... which is worth more than what they got in trade. thus, the latter possibility is what some fans are upset about.

IIRC marcus was still under his rookie contract so there was no problem financially keeping him. i'd also say he was worth a roster spot provided they were serious about giving him a good look this year. but as i speculated elsewhere, there may have been something about his attitude that they didn't like, hence why they settled.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

this was also done for the sake of MW.

he was a star at UConn, blessed with amazing court vision and averaging about 8-9 APG.

but comon now, we all know he is not a lights out shooter so by that alone, he cannot be brought off the bench and be expected to do anything good with the ball

he is a talent for sure, but he needs to be a starter in order to flourish.

look for him to do great things in GS.

beside, they needed the roster spots.

with Jaycee Carroll and Julius Hodges looking good, one of them may be a camp invite. with Nachbar gone, the Nets ended up at 15 bodies. with MW gone, that's now 14.

if these guys do well enough, that can ONLY add to the depth of this team.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
gigantes
   

well, this is where the lack of a better minor league system hurts teams. it's such a limited system in the NBA, and full of stigma, but frankly marcus should have been down there starting the last two years. it would have helped everyone.

it's just a shame that they were able to get him as a steal in the draft yet never really found out if he's NBA starter-worthy or not. two years of wasted time and who knows if they'll get such a steal with the pick they got in exchange.

this kind of crap happens so often that it's frustrating.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #24
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
well, this is where the lack of a better minor league system hurts teams. it's such a limited system in the NBA, and full of stigma, but frankly marcus should have been down there starting the last two years. it would have helped everyone.

it's just a shame that they were able to get him as a steal in the draft yet never really found out if he's NBA starter-worthy or not. two years of wasted time and who knows if they'll get such a steal with the pick they got in exchange.

this kind of crap happens so often that it's frustrating.

i know wouldn't it be great if every draft pick in NBa history turned out to be a Hall of famer?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #25
5 Star
Saw a basketball once

It's all apart of the business. Marcus needed a new zip code, because I speculate the locker room wasn't really feeling him. Personally, I wish they would have given him this season to see what he could bring, but Dooling pretty much sealed his departure imho. I wish him the best and I like the new direction my favorite NBA team is headed.

Good luck Marcus....
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #26
gigantes
   

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
i know wouldn't it be great if every draft pick in NBa history turned out to be a Hall of famer?
thank you, captain sarcasm.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
It's A VC3!!!
NBA rookie of the year

Marcus Williams
6 PPG
3 APG
EARLY 20s

Keyon Dooling
8 PPG
1 APG
LATE 20s

Last edited by It's A VC3!!! : 07-24-2008 at 09:28 AM.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
LBJames2010
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
Marcus Williams
8 PPG
3 APG
EARLY 20s

Keyon Dooling
6 PPG
1 APG
LATE 20s

pretty sure thats wrong....
LBJames2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #29
It's A VC3!!!
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJames2010
pretty sure thats wrong....

oops messed up on the points.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #30
marla07860
I usually hit open layups

I think Marcus needs to be a starter to be able to do good things. So I wish him the best of luck
marla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: