Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Raptors give extension to Andrea Bargnani

^

B.C believes in Bargnani being the cornerstone for Raptors, it did look promising for the better half of February even out playing the likes of Rashard Lewis (stat wise) The deal should be sliced though.. far too much.. Bosh isnt going to sign..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danumber88
    ^

B.C believes in Bargnani being the cornerstone for Raptors, it did look promising for the better half of February even out playing the likes of Rashard Lewis (stat wise) The deal should be sliced though.. far too much.. Bosh isnt going to sign..
    Cologeno (spelling) is an idiot.

He lost the best player in Toronto history.

He made them the softest team in the league.

He has now doomed them to mediocrity.

As much as I love the Raps organization, I don't like this nor do I like the Turk signing. Money isn't a problem for the raps I guess....only thing I can think of is that there is a big Bosh trade coming up and they need the pieces around Turk-Bargs to get what they really want....a championship. Maybe Bosh for a good center and a good SG that can ACTUALLY play D might help out this organization. Oh, and some depth.

BTW, I hate Bargnani...

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather

My posts didn't necessarily reflect to Raptors being good. Just saying B.C decided to go for Bargnani as the corner stone and lost the most agressive player on our team. But a big Bosh trade is coming up..

Learning to shoot layups

Im starting to wonder if BC is trynna make a championship team or a team full of white guys who cant really defend.....Bosh l should be the franchise player....I would trade bargs if anything...too late though Bosh is outta here

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    Damn 10 Mil a year? He's probably around the 7-9 mil range, but still... Doesn't sound right to give him that much.
    Hmm... name one basketball skill that Bargnani does not have. In a year this contract will be seen as a bargain. Bargnani's ceiling is 20+ and 10. 20 and 8 next year is even likely. I keep telling people, you know he shot 50% for a month last year................... FROM 3! Like, his potential is still massive. He had a coach who didn't use him properly for a couple years and hated him. As soon as the coach was gone he started playing great again. AND, he's only 23. Paying players who are worth 10 million right now is how to not contend. Paying players 10 mill the year before they're worth it, like the Spurs have done with parker/manu, is how you win. Colangelo knows exactly what he's doing.

I love Bargnani, but from what we've seen so far from him, this is way too much. He needs to get at least 8 rebounds a game and shoot better than 45% from the field if he deserves that kind of money, as well as give us a much better defensive effort. What I really had exception to though, was the Turk signing. I don't think he's a good fit for us at all, pretty much giving us more of what we already have and not what we need (defense, toughness, and rebounding). If we can get Pops back as well a starting Centre who bangs down low in the post with a back up or starting defensive 2, then we'd look much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    I love Bargnani, but from what we've seen so far from him, this is way too much. He needs to get at least 8 rebounds a game and shoot better than 45% from the field if he deserves that kind of money, as well as give us a much better defensive effort. What I really had exception to though, was the Turk signing. I don't think he's a good fit for us at all, pretty much giving us more of what we already have and not what we need (defense, toughness, and rebounding). If we can get Pops back as well a starting Centre who bangs down low in the post with a back up or starting defensive 2, then we'd look much better.
    There is still no word on Pops if he re signed yet...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathOfAutotune
    Im starting to wonder if BC is trynna make a championship team or a team full of white guys who cant really defend.....Bosh l should be the franchise player....I would trade bargs if anything...too late though Bosh is outta here
    Ya know, they're being smart. Toronto is easily the prime location for European/international talent. Its the most multi-cultural city in the world. If you're a Euro dude, do you want to live in a burned out urban area in the states or Canada... its a well duh question that Hedo already gave his answer to, and he was only going to Portland which is a nice city. With the crazy improvement seen internationally if they keep building on that theme (like San Antonio did) they're going to be winning lots. They build a team of the best euro players playing a little more international style and have success with it and draw all the best global talent. It only makes sense.
    Last edited by indiefan23; 07-08-2009 at 12:56 PM.

There was no reason to do this now. Why not wait and see what Bargs does this season?

Regardless, he's not worth 10 mil a season.

He better start rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Hmm... name one basketball skill that Bargnani does not have. In a year this contract will be seen as a bargain. Bargnani's ceiling is 20+ and 10. 20 and 8 next year is even likely. I keep telling people, you know he shot 50% for a month last year................... FROM 3! Like, his potential is still massive. He had a coach who didn't use him properly for a couple years and hated him. As soon as the coach was gone he started playing great again. AND, he's only 23. Paying players who are worth 10 million right now is how to not contend. Paying players 10 mill the year before they're worth it, like the Spurs have done with parker/manu, is how you win. Colangelo knows exactly what he's doing.
    Ceiling, ceiling... potential, potential...

Let's just see what Bargnani does next season. IMO his ceiling is Mehmet Okur, which is around 18PPG 7 REB.... but the truth is nobody is calling Okur's $8.5M a bargain.

I really still have no idea why they rushed into this deal. Bargnani's stock would not have risen over a $10M contract by next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather

Umm... unless you're overrating Bosh who's not gone yet, Vince Carter is the best player in TO history. Its not even close. And he didn't lose him, Babecock did.

Colangelo traded TJ Ford for Jermaine O'Neal but had to cuz TJ was so clearly not happy playing backup and Calderone was clearly a much better point guard.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

This is a deal given based on potential value, that's it. In order to win, sometimes you have to take gambles and this is one that Colangelo believes will pay off. If Bargnani averages 20 and 7-8 this year, would he be worth this contract at 24 years old? Absolutely, possibly even more. You're telling me that if Bargnani was a free agent next year, at age 24, coming off a season of 20 and 7, that a team like the Bulls, for example, wouldn't be all over this guy?

Imagine Greg Oden when his rookie contract ends. Yeah he's struggled in his first year playing, and he won't reach his maximum potential by his fourth year (especially since he missed one full season). You're telling me it's NOT smart to try and get him locked up for 10-12 mill a season? It's all about potential value people. He has the potential to be worth more than that. And so does Bargnani.

Quote Originally Posted by IamSofaKing
    There is still no word on Pops if he re signed yet...
    That's the kind of player we need. We need hustle and strength. We don't need more shooters without any physical presence. The great thing about Bargnani though is his low post D and toughness is underrated by probably everyone, but we need a lot more than that for now.

Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

I guess they're serious about showing Bosh they are trying to be contenders.

Man...$50 mil! He's probably only worth the MLE. Maybe 6 or 7 mil per cuz he's tall but that's about it. He's overpaid now. If he sucks next season, they won't be able to move that horrible contract.