Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: how many pull-ups can you do?

even when i was fat i could do like 8-12....was i doing them wrong or something? are people in here doing extreme pullups or after their arms are depleted by other exercise?

or......

is this a thread in an alternate reality where people are being honest???

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    even when i was fat i could do like 8-12....was i doing them wrong or something? are people in here doing extreme pullups or after their arms are depleted by other exercise?
    Did you touch the bar with your chest, and on the way down did you straighten your arms out completely? That's a true pullup.

I've just always shyed away from them until the past two weeks. I stuck to the lat pulldown machine, but I'm getting away from that now and bossin it up.

I begin my workouts with pullups, because one of Arnold's recommendations is to start with your weakness as your muscles are the most responsive to the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Did you touch the bar with your chest, and on the way down did you straighten your arms out completely? That's a true pullup.
    Hmm...I always touch the bar with my chest but maybe I didnt go all the way down....will update my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    between 40-45 i suppose. I never really did pull-ups as the first thing i did when i walked into the gym i always saved em for last to completely burn out my uppper body.
    You know we are talking pullups, not chinups right? I have a hard time believing you can do that many.

I think the most I have ever done is between 15-20.

LOL... Everyone on here is a world class athlete as expected.

You rarely see the fittest guys at the gym do 20 consecutive pull ups. Hell its very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

You rarely see the fittest guys at the gym do 20 consecutive pull ups. Hell its very unlikely.
    hahaha my thoughts too. In the last 3 years that I've been gym-ing I probably only saw 2-3 guys that did more than 15 wide grip pull ups with perfect form or had an extra 10-20 kg weight attached to their waist while they do a pull up.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

I always try to keep my faith in the numbers some people provide. I think it could have to do with everyone's varied definitions of a pull-up. For instance, as I alluded earlier, I didn't know what a true pull-up was. The number I provided was not from letting my arms going completely straight after each rep. I'll have to give that one a shot another time.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i was able to do 5 underhand last week when i happened to be on a park with monkey bars. i'm not exactly overweight it just happens that most of my body mass is concentrated in my abdominal area

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    hahaha my thoughts too. In the last 3 years that I've been gym-ing I probably only saw 2-3 guys that did more than 15 wide grip pull ups with perfect form or had an extra 10-20 kg weight attached to their waist while they do a pull up.
    Yeah, I'm the same. Been training the last 4 years going 5 days a week, with a 1 week break after every 12 week interval. In that time, the most I've ever been able to pull up was 20kg (45lbs) 6 or 7 times. Now I'm doing slightly less, but am looking to get back up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Can you get the same results from a Power Tower? Resting your arms on those pads:

Or, does the 90 degree pullup position add even more stress on the abs? I would imagine it might.
    It's not the same. On the power tower you are RESTING your weight on the pads on your arms and you can't do circular motions with it- you can only bring your legs up and down in-front of you.

The way I am describing, you are HOLDING your weight and it is more taxing on your body and abs to hold your upper body from moving.

Plenty of people do what you are describing- there are but a few people who do it the way I have described from what I have seen personally (not to say that this is the end-all, be all exercise, that more people couldn't- just saying in my personal experience). There isn't anything wrong with doing it your way, of course. I just know that what I described is a lot more difficult and it is more of an advanced ab movement. A lot of regular gym goers couldn't do what I described with proper form. My abs never felt it close to as much as with this exercise compared to others and I've tried a lot of different things.

Weighted abs are also a great exercise that more people should do. Weighted sit-ups on a decline are real good, for example.

Local High School Star

I'm calling bs on a lot of people. Probably never done a pull up before and just threw out a random number.

Future D1 Dad

probably about 1/2 of one. i'm overweight and out of shape. never had much strength in my arms anyway.

Had to try because I was curious. I just did 28 and that is probably my absolute max. Realistically I'd stop around 23 or 24 if I was just working out. I've been working out with dedication for years, so anyone who says they can do more than 30 either has a very low body weight for their strength or is full of it. I'm 175 lbs btw.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    You know we are talking pullups, not chinups right? I have a hard time believing you can do that many.

I think the most I have ever done is between 15-20.
    Yes i know you guys are talking about pullups.

I'm 5'8 weighing right at about 146 with a 5.7 bf% so i already have an advantage over most of you guys off the bat.

I also have strong shoulders and lats/back muscles which help immensely with pullups so 40+ isn't really out of the question

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    Yes i know you guys are talking about pullups.

I'm 5'8 weighing right at about 146 with a 5.7 bf% so i already have an advantage over most of you guys off the bat.

I also have strong shoulders and lats/back muscles which help immensely with pullups so 40+ isn't really out of the question
    I'm 6'0 155 with low bf, not sure the exact number and I've barely hit 20. I call bs.