Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Charles Barkley: Zimmer was right to be acquitted

Although a hoodie doesn't signify someone as a criminal but you need to be aware of your surroundings and adapt to the environment. I like to wear ski masks when I go fishing at the lake in the winter. Does it mean it's ok to leave it on and walk into a store? No.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

Although a hoodie doesn't signify someone as a criminal but you need to be aware of your surroundings and adapt to the environment. I like to wear ski masks when I go fishing at the lake in the winter. Does it mean it's ok to leave it on and walk into a store? No.
    Why the fck can't you wear a hoodie anywhere you want to go? A hoodie and a ski mask are completely different.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Why the fck can't you wear a hoodie anywhere you want to go? A hoodie and a ski mask are completely different.
    I don't think there is anything wrong wearing a hoodie but the hoodie has evolved. Just like there are dress codes in life, people or especially kids need to be more aware of their surroundings.

If I was going for a stroll at night, I usually where my Nike's with reflectors and some sort of reflective shirt so I can be seen and be safe. I'm just saying people need to be aware of their environment more and dress appropriately. I know I won't be wearing a dark hoodie or whatever color Martin was wearing.

Like I said, the hoodie didn't kill Martin, GZ did, but sometimes kids need to know not to be wearing certain things. As stupid as it may sound, society judges you a certain way.

Also, the hoodie have evolved. Was Martin wearing one of these? These kind of hoodies are everywhere in the mall.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    You are right in theory. You should be able to wear a hoodie most places. There are some events obviously you should wear something professional/dressed up.

The only thing is some people will react overly negatively towards you for wearing a hoodie. Just like technically according to the first amendment you have the right to go up to people and express your desire to have sex with their spouse. Just keep in mind it might create a negative reaction in the other party.

Also there is nothing inherently offensive/intimidating about the way Trayvon was dressed. I saw a picture of his dead body and he was wearing a hoodie with tight pants. he looked like an annoying hipster to me. IMO 100% Zim found him threatening because of racial profiling.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Frankly I couldnt care less what you have to say dude. Or anyone one of you for that matter.

History is what it is. And still continues on.

Sarcasm isn't saving anyone.
    The fact that you think that any other race with the capability to dominate another race would have acted differently from europeans shows your bias/ignorance.

Do some research on Imperial Japan. Eg. Nanjing Massacre, Unit 731, Bataan Death March, Comfort Women, etc.

Do some research on China, and their various genocides (Uyghur genocide during the early Qing Dynasty). there is a reason a landmass as large as modern China is predominantly Han Chinese.

Do some research on the Mongol Empire. The ingrained racial system, How they scared cities into surrendering without a fight, rape and pillaging to the extent that 32 million people are estimated to be descended from Genghis.

Do some research on the Arab Slave trade, and how brutal it was.
    The Hutus and Tutsis and the war in the Congo, where rape is used as form of warfare. The Sudan/south sudan war, etc.

Today in mexico their are cartels that terrorize whole regions of mexico. The gather up defenseless people and chop their heads off and dump their bodies in major intersections. In latin America MS-13 and 18th street gangs terrorize everyone. In the US inner city violence can get you shot for "disrespecting" or wearing the wrong colors.

The reason white people have dominated the world isnt because we are inherently more violent. it is because during the last 500 years we have achieved the capability to do so. The chinese invented gunpowder, but they werent able to fully exploit its military potential. During the Opium wars the British Empire showed the Qing Empire how powerful guns were. The Massive armies of the Qinq which had previously been world beaters were slaughtered by British firing lines. Also British cannons>Qing Cannons and British warships > Qing warships.

Whites didn't really dominate and divide up africa until Hiram Stevens Maxim invented the Maxim Gun – the first portable, fully automatic machine gun.

The old saying "what ever happens we have the maxim gun, and they dont."

Had these military technologies been discovered by other races those races would have done the same thing.

Edit: Only in the last 500 years has Europe been in a good position. The ottoman empires, mongol empires, arab Caliphates, etc did just as bad if not worse to peoples under their dominion. Look at various countries in modern times. When the Hutu go the opportunity to attack the tutsis look what they did. When Arab sudanese go the chance to attack black sudanese look what they did. Look what happened to blacks in Libya after the rebels took over. The atrocities during the Congolese war. The slave conditions in cocoa farms and diamond mines. what happened to ethnic chinese in indonesian riots. what the khmer rouge did in Cambodia.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 07-21-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I cant disagree with any of that..

The problem is that America is poisoned by this issue and many people see things thru this lens, so even if it isnt real? it becomes real because so many people have experiences that are related to race..

We have to find a way to break free of that.. I think people's ethnicities are beautiful and something that everyone can share in and gain knowledge from... But race as it exists in America is about stereotypes and "us against them" and it has very negative connotations at this time.

I think we can break free of it if it doesnt destroy us first
    The young need to be integrated, and adults need to stop spreading their neuroses to their kids, regardless of whether they think it justified or not, or whether their lives have been unfair. it is the only way things will change. The primacy of the family means the ultimate responsibility always lies with the parents, but parents in general are so quick to instill their own prejudices in their children.
    [QUOTE=MavsSuperFan] The fact that you think that any other race with the capability to dominate another race would have acted differently from europeans shows your bias/ignorance.

Do some research on Imperial Japan. Eg. Nanjing Massacre, Unit 731, Bataan Death March, Comfort Women, etc.

Do some research on China, and their various genocides (Uyghur genocide during the early Qing Dynasty). there is a reason a landmass as large as modern China is predominantly Han Chinese.

Do some research on the Mongol Empire. The ingrained racial system, How they scared cities into surrendering without a fight, rape and pillaging to the extent that 32 million people are estimated to be descended from Genghis.

Do some research on the Arab Slave trade, and how brutal it was.
    The Hutus and Tutsis and the war in the Congo, where rape is used as form of warfare. The Sudan/south sudan war, etc.

Today in mexico their are cartels that terrorize whole regions of mexico. The gather up defenseless people and chop their heads off and dump their bodies in major intersections. In latin America MS-13 and 18th street gangs terrorize everyone. In the US inner city violence can get you shot for "disrespecting" or wearing the wrong colors.

The reason white people have dominated the world isnt because we are inherently more violent. it is because during the last 500 years we have achieved the capability to do so. The chinese invented gunpowder, but they werent able to fully exploit its military potential. During the Opium wars the British Empire showed the Qing Empire how powerful guns were. The Massive armies of the Qinq which had previously been world beaters were slaughtered by British firing lines. Also British cannons>Qing Cannons and British warships > Qing warships.

Whites didn't really dominate and divide up africa until Hiram Stevens Maxim invented the Maxim Gun

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

Very good NBA starter

All the guys going at Oh the Horror's post you ever considered trying to see things from his point of view? I'm pretty sure the guy isn't even black but the negativity and general contempt shown towards black people in this thread made him lash out. Its easy to criticize but hard to try understand other people's views.

Mods, we need to change the title of this thread to:

"Charles Barkley loses 75% of his black fans"

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    All the guys going at Oh the Horror's post you ever considered trying to see things from his point of view? I'm pretty sure the guy isn't even black but the negativity and general contempt shown towards black people in this thread made him lash out. Its easy to criticize but hard to try understand other people's views.
    I don't care whether he's black or not, his comments were stupid, ignorant and racist, hence the criticism.

I don't care what caused such moronic views, because what caused them is irrelevant to their validity, which is all that i'm concerned with. I don't have time to try and 'understand' people over the internet, geez. He could be anybody, and could have any agenda, how could i possibly know?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    I don't care whether he's black or not, his comments were stupid, ignorant and racist, hence the criticism.

I don't care what caused such moronic views, because what caused them is irrelevant to their validity, which is all that i'm concerned with. I don't have time to try and 'understand' people over the internet, geez. He could be anybody, and could have any agenda, how could i possibly know?
    Okay but have you ever heard the phrase "Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in his shoes?" You can never have a honest discussion about race, sexism, whatever if you're never willing to understand the other side.

Okay but have you ever heard the phrase "Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in his shoes?" You can never have a honest discussion about race, sexism, whatever if you're never willing to understand the other side.
    By your logic we can never criticize anyone until we are put in their shoes. Guess I can't be critical of politicians unless I am one myself. And I can't condemn pedophiles unless I try raping some children. And I can't call out racist bigots unless I have plastic surgery and change my skin to their color.

Trying to "understand" someone isn't a prerequisite for criticism. When ignorant bullshit is being spewed without any logic or objectivety you don't need to be in someone else's shoes to realize it's wrong.

This is a great point & I think it is the key to fixing alot of problems.. If people can try to see issues from someone else's point of view instead knee jerk shouting them down and saying "I dont have time to see their point of view"?

you could find understanding alot easier..

If you have time to criticize someone else's comments, then you also have time to consider their point of view..

Oh shut up, that was not what i was saying at all. As if i was saying the position and difficulties of the other side should be ignored. Are you saying the position of the 'other side' is ignorance and racism? If so you do that 'other side' a grand disservice. But then i don't even take the idiotic step of dividing this into 'sides' in the first place - that is the best way to create an irreparable divide.

There is NO excuse for spewing ignorance, especially hateful ignorance that some uninformed person could easily believe. There is NO reason to appease people with such views merely because their 'shoes' are different. You cannot understand what it is like to be anyone else by definition, so what you appear to be proposing is an impossible standard which would preclude people from passing judgement on ANYTHING.

This is the ****ing internet for God's sake: the guy could be a fat Chinese man trying to fill his time by winding people up, how the HELL is anyone supposed to be able to place themselves in the shoes of someone they don't KNOW anything about?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Oh shut up, that was not what i was saying at all. As if i was saying the position and difficulties of the other side should be ignored. Are you saying the position of the 'other side' is ignorance and racism? If so you do that 'other side' a grand disservice. But then i don't even take the idiotic step of dividing this into 'sides' in the first place - that is the best way to create an irreparable divide.

There is NO excuse for spewing ignorance, especially hateful ignorance that some uninformed person could easily believe. There is NO reason to appease people with such views merely because their 'shoes' are different. You cannot understand what it is like to be anyone else by definition, so what you appear to be proposing is an impossible standard which would preclude people from passing judgement on ANYTHING.

This is the ****ing internet for God's sake: the guy could be a fat Chinese man trying to fill his time by winding people up, how the HELL is anyone supposed to be able to place themselves in the shoes of someone they don't KNOW anything about?
    It's simple...