Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Gotta admit I was wrong ...

About the low carb diet. While it was great, I didn't shed the pounds I wanted to. It's hard to lose weight eating so much calories. The cravings for the carbs made me eat even more, so I do not recommend it.

When I get into something, I go hardcore. I read everything under the sun, and from this vast sea of knowledge, I use my own sense of introspection to combine the best ideas into one overall picture.

This is what i now think ..

1. If you want to lose weight, you are going to have to cut back on your calories. It does not matter if you are going low carb/high carb, you will need to burn more calories than you take in. Low carbers tout being in ketosis, but even if you are in it, you'll only burn 100-200 calories per day, and it is hard to lose weight strictly off of this since a high fat/low carb diet requires a lot of calories.

2. If you can't cut back on your calories, this means you have cravings. Cravings will make you eat more and still not feel any satiety (satisfaction).

3. If you can't control the cravings, then you need to reset your diet and start at ground zero.

4. To do that, you will need to fast. The starting point of any diet should be a two day fast. When you fast, your body is healing itself. It is the greatest nutritionist you will ever know. It will destroy toxins, kill cancer cells, replenish the body, cure all diseases, push back your aging, etc.

5. Once you reset your eating habits, you can start eating again. Since you no longer have cravings, you can pick and choose what you want to eat and stick with it.

6. The best way to lose weight is to eat fruits. The second best way is to eat vegetables. The third best way is to eat starches high in fiber. The fourth best way is to start exercising. Fast. Rinse and repeat.

7. No more junk food. Eat only raw foods. I have lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks eating mainly fruits and vegetables.

Default Re: Gotta admit I was wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    1. If you want to lose weight, you are going to have to cut back on your calories. It does not matter if you are going low carb/high carb, you will need to burn more calories than you take in. Low carbers tout being in ketosis, but even if you are in it, you'll only burn 100-200 calories per day, and it is hard to lose weight strictly off of this since a high fat/low carb diet requires a lot of calories.
    This is not true. The latest thinking on things like the Atkins diet emphasize that you need to eat a lot of vegetables, it's the foundation of the diet. You will still have a high percentage of total calories from fat, but that is only because vegetables don't contain many calories.

If you're looking at what you eat, it's a high vegetable diet. If you are looking just at calories, most will come from fat because it's nutrient dense.

In short, your ratio of vegetables may have been off.

congrats on the momentum.

it's never been harder to lose weight (imo) that it is nowadays.

we're inundated with crap. and most of the time, the "crap" looks like normal food.

there's so much sugar &/salt in everything.

i've had some success recently. down 10 pounds.

i agree w/a few of your points...

.... (A) ... eat fruits. (B).... eat vegetables. (C)...exercising. Fast. Rinse and repeat.

... No more junk food.

NBA All-star

try having your carbs in the morning
    your proteins in your noon
    your produce for your dinner as well as your minerals

but I guess if your lean enough about your diet
    dinner and breakfast might become interchangeable

not a nutritionist

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I lost 70 pounds when I was 19. i just was strict about what I ate and me and a friend worked out everyday for like 8 months. I'd say it's more of an overall diet change for the rest of your life. Temporary diets aren't the best IMO. Change the overall philosophy of what you eat, work hard, lift hard, profit.

I didn't go lo carb or anything like that. I just ate smaller portions, cut out useless calories, and watched calorie counts on things.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    This is not true. The latest thinking on things like the Atkins diet emphasize that you need to eat a lot of vegetables, it's the foundation of the diet. You will still have a high percentage of total calories from fat, but that is only because vegetables don't contain many calories.

If you're looking at what you eat, it's a high vegetable diet. If you are looking just at calories, most will come from fat because it's nutrient dense.

In short, your ratio of vegetables may have been off.
    The overall calorie intake will lead to weight gain. The atkins diet rest solely on being in ketosis. Ketosis is overrated. When your body switches to burning primarily fat, it's not burning enough calories to warrant eating that much. It is easy to go over your intake. You can't even eat enough vegetables without going over the carb restriction. You're not getting enough nutrients as is and eating 2-3 cups a day just won't cut it. Supplementing it with vitamins is a horrible idea since it doesn't provide the same nutrients as whole raw foods high in carbs.

Trust me, I did the atkins diet. It's great in theory but nothing more. The best foods to lose weight are raw foods. The atkins diet doesn't want you to eat fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    congrats on the momentum.

it's never been harder to lose weight (imo) that it is nowadays.

we're inundated with crap. and most of the time, the "crap" looks like normal food.

there's so much sugar &/salt in everything.

i've had some success recently. down 10 pounds.

i agree w/a few of your points...
    True, sugar and salt are hard to kick. This is the reason why I would suggest fasting. If you fast for a day, you will get light headed and a headache kicks in. A lot of people think it's because they are hungry, but they are really not. The body has more than enough stored fats and nutrients to last for weeks. What is happening is the body is beginning to replenish itself and kick out the sugar and toxins, hence the breakouts, headaches, weakness, etc.

What happens when an animal gets sick? He lies there, completely not hungry, and rests. The body is recuperating the same way when you fast.

I would question all the nutritionists and doctors who advocate eating to be healthy; it has been known for centuries fasting and utilizing the body's recovery mechanism are the best ways to regain your health.

Krust Kingz

Eating to get full or satisfied no matter what diet you're on is a mistake. Most people eat more than what the body needs to function.

Metabolism also has to be accounted for.

How your body burns fuel varies.....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Switch to the intermittent 18 hour fast/6 hour eat window, fat boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Eating to get full or satisfied no matter what diet you're on is a mistake. Most people eat more than what the body needs to function.

Metabolism also has to be accounted for.

How your body burns fuel varies.....
    Not if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Both have so much nutrients it balances the body out and achieves satiety with very few calories, which is probably the most important thing when losing weight. If you can't feel full off of fruits and vegetables, then your body needs a clensing. The toxins and sugars are playing tricks on your mind.

It's hard to achieve satiety on a low carb diet because the body keeps on craving the carbs. I couldn't do it. Salads and frankenstein atkins bars weren't cutting it.

NBA Legend

About the low carb diet. While it was great, I didn't shed the pounds I wanted to. It's hard to lose weight eating so much calories. The cravings for the carbs made me eat even more, so I do not recommend it.

That's because you did not reduce your semen intake. You're still consuming way too many CFS (calories from semen) per day, and that's why you're not achieving any loss, aside from the regular losses you take on a daily basis.

Not if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Both have so much nutrients it balances the body out and achieves satiety with very few calories, which is probably the most important thing when losing weight. If you can't feel full off of fruits and vegetables, then your body needs a clensing. The toxins and sugars are playing tricks on your mind.

It's hard to achieve satiety on a low carb diet because the body keeps on craving the carbs. I couldn't do it. Salads and frankenstein atkins bars weren't cutting it.
    Too much fruit can actually add up to be a lot of calories, especially with all the sugar. It's good to have some fruit every day, but easy to overload. Veggies are good no matter what though

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    That's because you did not reduce your semen intake. You're still consuming way too many CFS (calories from semen) per day, and that's why you're not achieving any loss, aside from the regular losses you take on a daily basis.
    Well with an atkins diet I'm mainly consuming protein and fat and ignoring a lot of foods that have essential vitamins. To make that up, Atkin's recommended I eat 2-3 cups of veggies and supplement it with vitamins, which screwed up my body big time. The body needs more than just vitamins; it needs whole raw foods, so taking a pill here and there is not the same thing as eating a fruit bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Too much fruit can actually add up to be a lot of calories, especially with all the sugar. It's good to have some fruit every day, but easy to overload. Veggies are good no matter what though
    This is not true. Fruits are jam packed with nutrients which allows the body to achieve satiety with very little calories. It's really the nutrition that contributes to satiety, not overall caloric count. Look at a Mcdonald's combo: close to 1,800 calories but you're only full for 3 hours tops.

I can eat 18 (1,800 calories) bananas and be full for two whole day. It's humanly possible. What people don't realize is they are not eating because they are hungry, they are eating because they are craving for the foods. Big difference.

This is not true. Fruits are jam packed with nutrients which allows the body to achieve satiety with very little calories. It's really the nutrition that contributes to satiety, not overall caloric count. Look at a Mcdonald's combo: close to 1,800 calories but you're only full for 3 hours tops.

I can eat 18 (1,800 calories) bananas and be full for two whole day. It's humanly possible. What people don't realize is they are not eating because they are hungry, they are eating because they are craving for the foods. Big difference.
    A cup of dates is 500 calories. If you're trying to cut weight, you simply need more calories out than in. It's amazing how easily fruit can set you over your daily calorie intake. Obviously it's better than eating McDonald's, but that's not the point. The majority of calories in fruit are sugar, so it's best not to over do it. Vegetables have a lot more fiber so they're more filling than fruit. They're also less calories than fruit. I definitely wouldn't take the mindset of "I can eat as much fruit as I want" if i'm trying to lose weight.