Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Dang, UNC is stacked next season.

Marshall
    Strickland / McDonald
    Barnes / Bullock
    Henson / Hairston
    Zeller / McAdoo

Preseason #1 for sure.
    Not sure if you were listing out the "depth chart" by position, but Hairston won't be the back-up PF. He's a 6'5" SG with deep range on his shot. He'll play mostly SG and SF. However, as big and strong as he is, he could see some time at the 4 in a bind. UNC may add Desmond Hubert as well, who's a 3* top 120 prospect with offers from UNC, Maryland, Ohio State, Pitt, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Wake, Georgia Tech, UConn, and some other schools. Hubert has it narrowed down to UNC and Maryland and should announce sometime this week. If he commits to UNC then he'll give UNC a very solid four man rotation in the front court.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: Harrison Barnes is coming back for sophomore season

Apparently, the NBA has cancelled the Summer League. All signs point to a lockout. Bad for the NBA, good for College Basketball. I'm now allowing myself to believe Jones and Knight could return. Imagine:

Knight/Teague
    Lamb/Liggins
    Miller/Gilchrist
    Jones/Wiltjer
    Davis/Vargas

The UK/UNC game could be absolutely insane.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

UNC is loaded next year. They have potential to be one of the best ever in UNC history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
    UNC is loaded next year. They have potential to be one of the best ever in UNC history.
    You have to be careful when throwing out "best ever" and "in UNC history" in the same sentence. I know you said one of, but even then you have to be careful. I mean, they could win it all next year, and I still wouldn't be completely sold on them being better than the '05 or '09 teams.

They only thing they'll have on either one of those teams is potential depth. Both '05 and '09 only went about 6.5 or 7 deep (if the .5 makes sense) before a big drop off in quality of player. However, next year UNC may bring McAdoo, Bullock, McDonald, and Hairston off the bench. I'd venture to say all four could and probably would be starters on 98% of the teams in the nation.
    Last edited by KG215; 04-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore UwishUhadWall's Avatar

It's definitely no sure thing that Barnes is going back. I've been following it closely as my team is in the bottom 5 and in desperate need of a 3. I see different reports everyday. Including today wheringe I'm reading that he's coming out and is making the announcement tonight at 7. My thinking is, if he was going back to Chapel Hill why wouldn't he make the announcement with Henson and the other kid? As a teammate thing

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I'm hearing conflicting reports, as well. These strong rumors all started when a blogger posted that Barnes had enrolled in fall 2011 classes. That seems to be the basis for everyone assuming that he is coming back.

He may announce that he is going back to UNC, but I'm still not completely sure and I'm definitely not going to take the word of some anonymous person with supposed inside information.

It has been rumored that the decision will come tonight, though... I guess we will find out shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'm hearing conflicting reports, as well. These strong rumors all started when a blogger posted that Barnes had enrolled in fall 2011 classes. That seems to be the basis for everyone assuming that he is coming back.

He may announce that he is going back to UNC, but I'm still not completely sure and I'm definitely not going to take the word of some anonymous person with supposed inside information.

It has been rumored that the decision will come tonight, though... I guess we will find out shortly.
    The rumors go back further than that. I'm a big UNC fan and have been following this entire "saga" on a UNC pay board VERY closley. . I know it doesn't make me any more credible than you or anything. However, it started with Marty Tirrell. Tirrell is a radio show host from Iowa was the first to claim Barnes would chose UNC over Duke when he was trying to decide a school. He was saying he had "very solid sources" and started saying "Barnes to UNC" when everyone and their dog seemed to think Barnes was a Duke lock. So, he gained quite a bit of credibility at that time. Then, maybe just a couple of days after the season he tweeted something along the lines of "Barnes will be back at UNC next year" and kept tweeting similar things with similar confidence.

Then some reports broke about Barnes enrolling for summer classes and applying for a summer internship. The first story about him enrolling in summer classes that I recall seeing posted on the UNC board was from isportsweb, a site I've never heard of.

a gun to my head right now if I had to correctly predict what Barnes does or I'd get shot to death I'd say he's coming back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by UwishUhadWall
    It's definitely no sure thing that Barnes is going back. I've been following it closely as my team is in the bottom 5 and in desperate need of a 3. I see different reports everyday. Including today wheringe I'm reading that he's coming out and is making the announcement tonight at 7. My thinking is, if he was going back to Chapel Hill why wouldn't he make the announcement with Henson and the other kid? As a teammate thing
    I'd be VERY surprised there's an announcement by Barnes tonight since UNC is supposed to be having their basketball banquet. Most feel if he were to make an announcement at the banquet it would be to say he's returning.

On another note, UNC added Desmond Hubert to their 2011 recruiting class today. He's "only" a 3* recruit but check out his offers...

UNC
    UConn
    Ohio State
    Pitt
    Villanova
    Notre Dame
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    NC State
    Xavier
    Providence
    St. Joseph's

That's pretty damn impressive for a 3* recruit.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...d-Hubert-87011
    Last edited by KG215; 04-14-2011 at 07:01 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    The rumors go back further than that. I'm a big UNC fan and have been following this entire "saga" on a UNC pay board VERY closley. . I know it doesn't make me any more credible than you or anything. However, it started with Marty Tirrell. Tirrell is a radio show host from Iowa was the first to claim Barnes would chose UNC over Duke when he was trying to decide a school. He was saying he had "very solid sources" and started saying "Barnes to UNC" when everyone and their dog seemed to think Barnes was a Duke lock. So, he gained quite a bit of credibility at that time. Then, maybe just a couple of days after the season he tweeted something along the lines of "Barnes will be back at UNC next year" and kept tweeting similar things with similar confidence.

Then some reports broke about Barnes enrolling for summer classes and applying for a summer internship. The first story about him enrolling in summer classes that I recall seeing posted on the UNC board was from isportsweb, a site I've never heard of.
    Good to know.

So, in your personal opinion, what do you think Harrison chooses to do? Obviously, as a Cavaliers fan, I have a serious vested interest in this lottery being filled with as much talent as possible.

It hurt us when Perry Jones made his decision... Sullinger, too. Things could still be salvaged, though, if T. Jones, Knight and Barnes all come out. If any one (or, worst case, all three) stay in school, we are pretty f#cked with these two lottery picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Good to know.

So, in your personal opinion, what do you think Harrison chooses to do? Obviously, as a Cavaliers fan, I have a serious vested interest in this lottery being filled with as much talent as possible.

It hurt us when Perry Jones made his decision... Sullinger, too. Things could still be salvaged, though, if T. Jones, Knight and Barnes all come out. If any one (or, worst case, all three) stay in school, we are pretty f#cked with these two lottery picks.
    I honestly don't know at this point. Even just a few days ago I would have told you he was coming back. Now, though, the longer this drags on, I feel like he's gone. On the flip-side, though, a small part of me thinks he's just waiting until after UNC basketball banquet tonight to make his decision.

Just come out and say it already Harrison,

Harrison Barnes will be a Tar Heel for at least one more year.

The 6-foot-8 freshman has decided to return to Chapel Hill for his sophomore season, multiple sources very close to Barnes told me tonight.
    http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=700

Still not going to believe ANYTHING that doesn't come from Barnes himself.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore UwishUhadWall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215

The thing with that Marty Tirrel guy is that he's given three different dates for the announcement. The last was Tuesday...last Tuesday; a week and a half ago. None of it has happened. That really damages his credibility imo.

At this point, I don't think even Barnes knows wtf he's going to do. He's got 9 more days to make a decision.