Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Report: Cavaliers interested in Gordon Hayward & Chandler Parsons

Joe Kotoch has been putting a lot of Cavs stuff out there in the last 24 hours, but this one caught my attention...

Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft

Default Re: Report: Cavaliers interested in Gordon Hayward & Chandler Parsons

Hayward, while being more of a 2, could certainly play the 3 in stretches and Waiters also showed that ability last season. If the Cavs want him, they can probably get him. He's an UFA that would fit in pretty well with what the Cavs currently have, imo.

My question is whether or not this is an either/or scenario or if he's asserting the Cavs are targeting both guys to actually play together.

For now, let's assume it's either/or...

Parsons would be the far tougher get. He's still on his rookie contract and Houston has to be loving his value. However, there has been some smoke around his current contract negotations with the Rockets and his name has been floated in trades over the last couple weeks.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/...arsons-update/

The question is, what would it take to get him? The Cavs could work out a S&T with Luol Deng, since the Rockets seem to be in a "win-now" mentality. Maybe they'd have us throw in a young guy... Tristan Thompson, perhaps?

I know this... he'd be perfect at the 3 with what we have in place. Doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective and is a good young defender.

How about this roster for 2014-15?

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
    SG - Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
    SF - Chandler Parsons / Alonzo Gee
    PF - Anderson Varejao / Anthony Bennett
    C - Joel Embiid / Tyler Zeller

...and, hopefully, as the season progresses AB will take over at the 4, giving us a really solid rotation of centers. On the flip side, put Hayward in Parsons' spot and it still looks pretty damn good.

The Cavs desperately need defense. Even if they draft Embiid, that is not enough help considering Varejao is on his way down not up.

Kyrie Irving needs to be enough of a playmaker for the team to not need somebody like Gordon Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    The Cavs desperately need defense. Even if they draft Embiid, that is not enough help considering Varejao is on his way down not up.

Kyrie Irving needs to be enough of a playmaker for the team to not need somebody like Gordon Hayward.
    Thing is, Hayward's efficiency has steadily declined as his usage rate has gone up. Seems to me he plays his best ball as a really good complimentary piece, not the guy you want to rely on to constantly create plays.

That's precisely why I think his signing would make a lot of sense. As for defense, that's been an issue for Gordon over his first few years... but he has the tools to be a good defender. He just isn't consistent with it.

Embiid will help immensely, btw. The Cavs haven't had a rim protector since Big Z, and he was never really a great shot-blocking presence. When you have a guy around the basket who can alter/block shots, everyone's defense improves.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Hayward, while being more of a 2, could certainly play the 3 in stretches and Waiters also showed that ability last season. If the Cavs want him, they can probably get him. He's an UFA that would fit in pretty well with what the Cavs currently have, imo.
    Hayward didn't sign an extension with the Jazz, but he's still a restricted FA.

I dare say any team wanting to pry him from the Jazz will need to offer about a 4 year/$50 million contract. They tried to tie him down before he hit the open market, like they did with Favors, because they don't want to pay him that much. He'll be pretty good on a team with some better options on offense. He can't carry a team there, like he was forced to do in Utah this year, which is why the Jazz are reluctant to spend big $ on him, but he'll still be able to give you 14-16ppg, while being a good passer, providing rebounding, steals and some OK defense.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 06-12-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

I love both players, especially Parsons who I had the pleasure of watching for 4 years here in Gainesville.

Both have major potential to be all-star caliber.

both solid players and rising stars that may make one or two allstar appearances at their peak...that being said...cavs should focus on developing their young players and getting a competent coach.
    both players are definitely going to get overpaid....

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    I love both players, especially Parsons who I had the pleasure of watching for 4 years here in Gainesville.

Both have major potential to be all-star caliber.
    i agree, problem is to get any of the two you will definitely have to overpay for them

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong

I dare say any team wanting to pry him from the Jazz will need to offer about a 4 year/$50 million contract. They tried to tie him down before he hit the open market, like they did with Favors, because they don't want to pay him that much.
    Hmmm. Thought he was UFA for some reason.

Anyway, 4 years, $50 million seems like a lot... but not a total killer either. Like I said, I think he's there if the Cavs really want him.

Having watched him throughout his career, how do you think he'd do as a complimentary piece playing on the wing in an Irving-led offense? Obviously, it is going to limit his playmaking opportunities... I see that as a potential positive, though.

Guy was a 40+% shooter from three before he was asked to be a No. 1 option this past season.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    i agree, problem is to get any of the two you will definitely have to overpay for them
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong

I dare say any team wanting to pry him from the Jazz will need to offer about a 4 year/$50 million contract. They tried to tie him down before he hit the open market, like they did with Favors, because they don't want to pay him that much. He'll be pretty good on a team with some better options on offense. He can't carry a team there, like he was forced to do in Utah this year, which is why the Jazz are reluctant to spend big $ on him, but he'll still be able to give you 14-16ppg, while being a good passer, providing rebounding, steals and some OK defense.
    I think 4 years/$50 million is a mistake for whoever dishes it out, I think somebody probably will though...

both solid players and rising stars that may make one or two allstar appearances at their peak...that being said...cavs should focus on developing their young players and getting a competent coach.
    both players are definitely going to get overpaid....
    The Cavs have a lot of cap space, though, and a huge hole at SF. If the season were to start today, we'd be looking at Alonzo Gee or moving CJ Miles to the 3 (he's really a 2).

If Embiid is the pick -- which he should be -- the SF position absolutely has to be addressed either through FA or a trade.

The Cavs have a lot of cap space, though, and a huge hole at SF. If the season were to start today, we'd be looking at Alonzo Gee or moving CJ Miles to the 3 (he's really a 2).

If Embiid is the pick -- which he should be -- the SF position absolutely has to be addressed either through FA or a trade.
    I am actually one of the believers that they should draft andrew wiggins over embiid. I do believe that embiid if healthy may become the eventual better player....but his health...why take the risk?
    and whether they have capspace or not, i just dont think either of these two will get you far unless they are the third or fourth option, blowing 10+ a year on them is too much imho

I am actually one of the believers that they should draft andrew wiggins over embiid. I do believe that embiid if healthy may become the eventual better player....but his health...why take the risk?
    and whether they have capspace or not, i just dont think either of these two will get you far unless they are the third or fourth option, blowing 10+ a year on them is too much imho
    Fair enough...

Just a few notes:

The Cavs conducted a serious medical examination of Embiid today and all reports say he passed with flying colors. I didn't know a ton about stress fractures in the back, but everything I've read says they're very common in basketball players. Bill Self said on Cleveland radio today that, had Kansas won one more game in the tournament, he would have played. He's got to be the pick.

Either Hayward or Parsons would be brought in to probably be the 3rd or 4th scoring options on this team. I'd say it is safe to assume Irivng, Embiid and Waiters are thought to be better scorers. Again, these guys would be high level complimentary pieces on this roster. You can argue whether or not a 3rd/4th option is worth $10+ million a year, but there's no reason to believe they'd need to be more than that as far as their role goes.

Hmmm. Thought he was UFA for some reason.

Anyway, 4 years, $50 million seems like a lot... but not a total killer either. Like I said, I think he's there if the Cavs really want him.

Having watched him throughout his career, how do you think he'd do as a complimentary piece playing on the wing in an Irving-led offense? Obviously, it is going to limit his playmaking opportunities... I see that as a potential positive, though.

Guy was a 40+% shooter from three before he was asked to be a No. 1 option this past season.
    Yea, it's not an absolute killer of a deal, and if you're trying to snag a guy as a RFA you'll have to offer a little bit more than usual. And yea, I'd think he'd fit in pretty well with the Cavs. He's certainly got the talent to raise his FG% to a healthy level of about 46 FG%/40 3P% when he's getting better shots and not putting up shots 15 times a game.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I think 4 years/$50 million is a mistake for whoever dishes it out, I think somebody probably will though...
    Which is why the Jazz attempted to lock both Favors and Hayward down before they hit the open market. Jazz got dissed for upping Favors early, but it's better than having to deal with some team stupidly offering him a max deal since he's a bigman.