Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Do you hate Skyler White???

RidonKs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9cwsKHjTEk

I wouldn't call it an empty threat. It was pretty clear to Walt that Gus was willing to murder his entire family at that point. That's when he rushes home to collect the money to relocate his family to safety, only to find out that Skyler gave it all to Ted. That's ultimately what forced Walt to kill Gus. His first plan of action was to disappear from the meth game entirely. Skyler botched that.
    Last edited by DFish; 08-07-2012 at 05:30 PM.

rank sentamentalist

the threat wasn't empty because he wasn't 'willing' to kill walt. gus has proven himself willing to kill anybody... at any point. remember victor?

but at the end of the day, for gus nothing is personal and everything is business. and business demands leaving walt alone.

that clip sort of confirms what i thought.

IF you choose to interfere, it becomes a much simpler matter. gus even spells it out in a sense. stay in the picture and yeah i won't hesitate to kill you... leave me alone however, return to your family with all of your money (recall at this point walt doesn't know about the 600k), and resume teaching chemistry? suddenly not such a big dilemma

it's a bit out of character for walt to have the reaction he did, given his superb powers of deduction in every other aspect of the show. though not completely, crazy pressure situation and all, at the time jesse wasn't exactly acting reliably... so other factors come into play

bottom line seems to me that the situation wasn't as imminent as walt's behaviour would have had the viewer believe. but iunno, minor complaint i guess.

skylar f*cked the dog with the money, sure, but she was only keeping herself out of prison. like she continually told that retread ted, even a slightly closer look at those books and the whole story unravels and she heads to prison for willful tax fraud, leaving her children motherless. and we know how important she believes keeping the family together is, considering she didn't turn walt in as soon as she found out about his first 'incident'.

Quote Originally Posted by stax
    I don't see how criticising one woman makes a person misogynistic.
    Except that in this case he is criticizing the one woman in a misogynistic way.

Also, since she is a fictional character, do you hate the writers and producers of Breaking Bad for writing her the way they have?

I also am really amused that the OP thinks that she has a great life.

I've never have despised a character and an actress as much this woman.

Vince Gilligan did a terrible job with this one, as well as the casting directors. Unfortunate for Vince, he's one of my favorite writers really. He's done a fantastic job with basically every other character in the series, but the wife is just a flop. Her role is all this is forced and out of place, in the last episode, there were some good ones, I would say that it was the Characters best episode, but still it left me with a headache.

First the wife thing in general. I've never once had a moment in the series where I felt that Walter in Skylar were every married, or even a couple. Everytime these two share a scene, I always think to myself "These two were in-love once before?" I've never gotten such a feeling from them, and it has everything to do with Skylar, as Bryan Cranston does a brilliant job with his compassion and love, translating even from his previous work. But nothing from the wife, just dead in the water. Emotionless with a bad story-line.

Now transitioning onto Anna Gunn. What a terrible actress. I and a few fellow friends of mine laughed our asses off when we heard she was nominated for an Emmy. Her performance in Breaking Bad has been all around terrible, being carried by Betsy Brandt even who I believe should've gotten the nomination if any female in the series. Anna is either emotionless or too dramatic. The worst of it is that, she butt ugly. If you're going to cast a talentless tit, then atleast get someone who looks good. Sheesh. To top it all off, this was her first time in such a major role? The casting crew took a big dump on this one.

That's just my opinion on the matter, I would've killed off the bitch seasons ago. So useless and out of place and being portrayed by a terrible actress. This is still my favorite series on-going right now, but that's thanks to Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mite and whoever else. I hate the character, and I loathe Anna Gunn. Just absolutely terrible.

Banned

RidonKs, you're forgetting things about season 4. Remember during that situation Walt was basically trapped. Gus was planning on murdering Hank, and he was telling Walt to not intervene or he'd kill his family. Yeah, I'd say Walt's reaction to being trapped during the crawlspace scene was appropriate for his character.

It was either

1) Warn Hank, save his life and face the consequences from Gus.

2) Not warn hank, let Gus kill him and face the repercussions from his wife and sister-in-law. And also have to deal with Gus eventually.

With the first option, Walt was planning on using the money he saved up to hire the guy that Saul knows who can relocate a person and his family and give them entirely new lives. Basically hitting the restart button. That's the route Walt wanted to go with. His first reaction wasn't to kill Gus. That came after he found out that his money was gone and the relocation was no longer an option.

kill her b4 i do it

rank sentamentalist

First the wife thing in general. I've never once had a moment in the series where I felt that Walter in Skylar were every married, or even a couple. Everytime these two share a scene, I always think to myself "These two were in-love once before?"
    this is a really silly criticism of the character

you're supposed to feel that way. the show opens with walt getting news about his cancer and impending doom, information he chooses not to share with his wife of 20 odd years. it's at this very point that walt, a notoriously shitty liar who can bottle things up for a long time but can never hide the fact that he's got something to hide, starts acting strangely and arousing his wife's suspicions.

remember jr's comment in s4 after walt, hopped up on some pain medication or something, completely breaks down on his shoulder? he says he liked it, that at least crying was REAL, which is the total opposite of how walt's been for the past year... coincidentally since the show first began

of course it isn't the cancer that's really the nail in old walt's coffin. his life doesn't completely spiral out of control until he dwells on the insignificance of his life, with prompts him to do something drastic; motives being overtly a) to provide financially for his family, and covertly b) to finally gain some respect from a world of people towards whom he's always felt like a submissive nerd loser

and the 'love' you speak of, from walt's end, has only really begun to shine through since he disclosed his secret. there's a reason for that. before confiding in his wife, walt could never come to 24/7 grips on his new persona, which explains how awkward he was lying to his family. he was living a double life which inevitably, as a result of his being a poor liar, resulted in one side of his life being transparent in its inauthenticity. that was the home side.

it wasn't until he told skylar, or really anybody from his 'prior' life it just happened to be his wife, that he could begin to feel at ease in his new skin. problem is, his new skin isn't what skylar fell in love with in the first place. from the get go of this show, walt has been a different human being from the guy skylar married.

that's the irony of the entire show; in walt's pursuit of respect from everybody he loves, he's inevitably going to drive away everybody he loves. when everybody liked him he hated himself, and now that he finally likes himself, everybody hates him. (everybody being only skylar atm but im willing to bet that hank marie and almost def jr would/will react the same way)
    Last edited by RidonKs; 08-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by DFish
    RidonKs, you're forgetting things about season 4. Remember during that situation Walt was basically trapped. Gus was planning on murdering Hank, and he was telling Walt to not intervene or he'd kill his family. Yeah, I'd say Walt's reaction to being trapped during the crawlspace scene was appropriate for his character.

It was either

1) Warn Hank, save his life and face the consequences from Gus.

2) Not warn hank, let Gus kill him and face the repercussions from his wife and sister-in-law. And also have to deal with Gus eventually.

With the first option, Walt was planning on using the money he saved up to hire the guy that Saul knows who can relocate a person and his family and give them entirely new lives. Basically hitting the restart button. That's the route Walt wanted to go with. His first reaction wasn't to kill Gus. That came after he found out that his money was gone and the relocation was no longer an option.
    aaah, you're right. totally forgot about hank, that was the 'if' gus was referring to. i thought he was just talking about walt staying out of the lab and jesse's life. my mistake.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    question: when walt flips out and starts laughing like a maniac under the floorboards as a result of gus threatening to kill his wife son and infant daughter... wasn't that an overreaction? lol hear me out

maybe i'm misremembering but in the conversation he has with gus in the desert, walt specifically brings up the fact that gus can't harm him in any way because if he does jesse won't cook for him. gus' response is "that can change"... as in, eventually, MAYBE, he'd be able to talk jesse out of his pact with walt and convince him what an erratic selfish prick he has for a partner.

bottom line, it was an empty threat and for some reason, cold calculating totally rational walt completely misinterprets it or at least fails to think it through, instead flipping his shit and turning to madness ('disappearing' his family). technically it would have to be years before gus could realistically do anything unless he's willing to sacrifice the product driving his entire business

was that just walt unleashing all the pent up insanity of transforming his lifestyle from boring to in constant mortal danger... or just a plothole from the writers? eh?
    At that moment, Walt wasn't in danger, but the rest of his family was. Gus said to not interfere with them taking out Hank or Walt's family is dead, and Walt made sure a call went in to protect Hank, which means Gus would have went for Walt's family. That is why Walt freaked. It wasn't his own safety, but his family's.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Copied and pasted my post from the season 5 thread:

"The hatred is so deeply ingrained in some of you that you can't even consider looking at Skyler's actions from another perspective.

Deny it all you want, but there is a definite twinge of real misogyny in all of these anti-Skyler comments. Those comments just get so ****ing old.

'Skylers' a stupid **** bitch, I hope Walt kills her'
    '**** that whore Skyler, she should just do whatever Walt wants'
    'I hope they kill that bitch off'

I hated her as well the first time I watched the series, but I'm a lot more sympathetic now that I've watched it a second time."
    Last edited by SuperPippen; 08-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.

its cuz she so uglyy

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    I've never have despised a character and an actress as much this woman.

Vince Gilligan did a terrible job with this one, as well as the casting directors. Unfortunate for Vince, he's one of my favorite writers really. He's done a fantastic job with basically every other character in the series, but the wife is just a flop. Her role is all this is forced and out of place, in the last episode, there were some good ones, I would say that it was the Characters best episode, but still it left me with a headache.

First the wife thing in general. I've never once had a moment in the series where I felt that Walter in Skylar were every married, or even a couple. Everytime these two share a scene, I always think to myself "These two were in-love once before?" I've never gotten such a feeling from them, and it has everything to do with Skylar, as Bryan Cranston does a brilliant job with his compassion and love, translating even from his previous work. But nothing from the wife, just dead in the water. Emotionless with a bad story-line.

Now transitioning onto Anna Gunn. What a terrible actress. I and a few fellow friends of mine laughed our asses off when we heard she was nominated for an Emmy. Her performance in Breaking Bad has been all around terrible, being carried by Betsy Brandt even who I believe should've gotten the nomination if any female in the series. Anna is either emotionless or too dramatic. The worst of it is that, she butt ugly. If you're going to cast a talentless tit, then atleast get someone who looks good. Sheesh. To top it all off, this was her first time in such a major role? The casting crew took a big dump on this one.

That's just my opinion on the matter, I would've killed off the bitch seasons ago. So useless and out of place and being portrayed by a terrible actress. This is still my favorite series on-going right now, but that's thanks to Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mite and whoever else. I hate the character, and I loathe Anna Gunn. Just absolutely terrible.

No offense, but I think most of your opinions are extremely f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]king stupid, and this post proves to be no different.

I hated Skyler on my first watch of the series as well, and I agree that maybe they could have done a better job to make her more sympathetic in the earlier seasons, but criticizing Gunn's acting?

Her performance is almost universally agreed to be terrific, as with almost every other actor on this show. You really laughed because you heard she was nominated for an Emmy? What an idiot.

You really think that, after all the emotion she has done a great job in expressing, after all of the nuance that goes into her performances week in and week out, she's "terrible?" I could understand not being particularly impressed by it, but "terrible?"

My theory on why you hate the actress: her performance has been so convincing that your hate for the character has transitioned into hate for the actress. Why else would you hate Anna Gunn? Do you know her as a person? Have you ever met her? Likely not. You know her solely based on her performance as Skyler White.

Bottom line, the Skyler hate is irritating, if understandable, but hating the actress is idiotic. You're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    No offense, but I think most of your opinions are extremely f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]king stupid, and this post proves to be no different.

I hated Skyler on my first watch of the series as well, and I agree that maybe they could have done a better job to make her more sympathetic in the earlier seasons, but criticizing Gunn's acting?

Her performance is almost universally agreed to be terrific, as with almost every other actor on this show. You really laughed because you heard she was nominated for an Emmy? What an idiot.

You really think that, after all the emotion she has done a great job in expressing, after all of the nuance that goes into her performances week in and week out, she's "terrible?" I could understand not being particularly impressed by it, but "terrible?"

My theory on why you hate the actress: her performance has been so convincing that your hate for the character has transitioned into hate for the actress. Why else would you hate Anna Gunn? Do you know her as a person? Have you ever met her? Likely not. You know her solely based on her performance as Skyler White.

Bottom line, the Skyler hate is irritating, if understandable, but hating the actress is idiotic. You're an idiot.
    While I still think Skyler is a bitch, this is spot on. at criticizing her acting.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    No offense, but I think most of your opinions are extremely f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]king stupid
    Good thing you said "no offense."

her performance in the most recent episode was epic