Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far
Default What was the point of trading Barbosa?

I understand he was an expiring contract, and doesn't really fit in our long term plans.

However, what's the point of us getting a second round pick? It's highly unlikely that the pick even sees any game time, and even less likely they develop into a usable player for us.

But trades like this confuse me. Couldn't we get something of more use to us? A late first round pick, or a young (undeveloped) player?
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What was the point of trading Barbosa?

Quote:
Couldn't we get something of more use to us? A late first round pick, or a young (undeveloped) player?
No. If there was something better then the Raptors would've gotten it. Barbosa has the bad combination of being a crappy player and being 30 years old. The only reason another team took him was for the mystical "veteran experience" he can provide. I sure wouldn't be giving him many minutes if I wanted a good team.

Also, a 2nd round pick often can be better than a late 1st round pick because you don't have to give the player a guaranteed contract and roster spot.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

People still thinking about Barbosa

the guy was horrible, and old, I'd rather give a no-name NBDL player under 25 those minutes
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio23
But trades like this confuse me. Couldn't we get something of more use to us? A late first round pick, or a young (undeveloped) player?

Yeah I bet BC rejected a trade for a late first and took a 2nd instead.

Don't you think if there was a better offer BC would have taken it?
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Yeah I bet BC rejected a trade for a late first and took a 2nd instead.

Don't you think if there was a better offer BC would have taken it?

I didn't mean this to be such a silly question. Obviously if there is a better trade, I'd hope that our GM would take it...

I didn't know that 2nd round contracts are non-guaranteed - that answers my question.

If 2nd round contracts were guaranteed, I'd rather just let him walk.
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nah, the second round pick makes sense... Who knows... the best case scenario, the Raps get a steal in the draft... and at worst, like other posters mentioned, you don't lose much.

Barbosa didn't have much of a future here, might as well give him to a playoff team for his services.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: