Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 10-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Big Nasty faces big question mark(bee article)

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/35370.html

Quote:
'Big Nasty' faces big question mark
By Joe Davidson - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:08 am PDT Saturday, October 7, 2006
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

And still standing: Corliss Williamson.

When he first arrived in Sacramento as a first-round pick in 1995, Williamson was the fresh-faced, crafty and tough difference maker. And he packed quite the V-8 motor. Sort of like the very Razorback mascot from his alma mater, Arkansas: a bit undersize at power forward but always with his nose into things, be it inside scoring, a rebound or a scrum.

Now in the midst of his second tour with the franchise, Williamson has gone from team pup to resident graybeard with 11 NBA seasons under his hightops.

Williamson, who will turn 33 in December, is the only player on the Kings' 18-man roster born in the early 1970s. Not that his body looks worn down. He looks as fit as ever at 6-foot-7 and 235 pounds -- more abs and muscle than plush.

Still, Williamson understands the end of his era is looming. His contract expires at the end of this season, and he doesn't know what his future holds.

With the Kings well-stocked at forward, does he try to pound out a 13th NBA season elsewhere or retire in his beloved Russellville, Ark., where he's revered as a hoops hero and for donating millions to youth programs?

"I know my career is coming to an end pretty soon," Williamson said. "But I know I still have a lot of basketball in me. When I retire, it'll be on my own terms. But I'm ready to play now, to have a good season."

Williamson is coming off his most frustrating season. Stuck behind a glut of forwards, he averaged 3.4 points in 2005-06, well off his career average of 11.3. What's more, he did not touch the floor in 40 games (coach's decision), though he generally drew the loudest ovation from Kings fans when he entered games.

New coach Eric Musselman told Williamson to come into training camp and fight for a job and has been impressed with the veteran's leadership.

"He's got a great demeanor, great body language, and he's played well," Musselman said. "He's been very positive."

Williamson still exhibits natural leadership qualities. Ron Artest said if he had to point out one man to be the team leader, it'd be Williamson.

Friday, at the end of a rigorous morning practice, rookie free-agent forward Louis Amundson kept missing free throws, resulting in a teamwide sprint from one end of the court to the other.

It was "Big Nasty" who talked to the youngster -- once with a game face that would have made a dog flinch and later when he simply asked, "You OK?"

Williamson's legacy is pretty sound in this league. He has been a starter and a scorer. He was named the 2001-02 NBA Sixth Man of the Year. He was a key cog on the Detroit Pistons' 2003 title team. And now?

"As for this season? I don't know," Williamson said. "I come in with my eyes wide open. I come in with the same attitude I always have. I'll work hard. But if I sat here and told you I wasn't frustrated about last year, I'd be lying. But I've dealt with it. I'm anxious to see how it works out this year."

About the writer:
The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.

I wasn't going to post this because I didnt think it was that important, but I read the whole article and you get the sense that Corliss was pissed off at Adelman for not playing him. Hopefully Musselman gives Corliss PT, he deserves it. It's not even like he can't play basketball anymore, because he can and he showed that when he first got traded here from Philly. He was a good bench player for us. He's only 32, almost 33, and it's not like he's had a bunch of injury problems or anything. I simply don't get why Adelman didn't use him much last season, Peja wasn't even doing anything the first half of the season. He basically single handedly won this game for us: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...m1=SAC&tm2=HOU last season.

I really hope Corliss gets 10-15 minutes worth of PT this season. He's a good player, a good person, and a classy player in general. I remember I was at the game in the playoffs and I think all the fans were saying "WE WANT CORLISS!" That was awesome.

Go Corliss.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

The kings have a ton of forwards, I doubt corliss will play much. Honestly, as good a guy he is, I hope he gets traded because his expiring contract will be worth a lot in February. He would probably negotiate a buy-out anyways, so its not like we'd be turning our backs on him.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

I want to see him get playing time somewhere but I really think we need his veteran leadership in the lockerroom. He was frustrated but he didn't let it affect the rest of the team. Artest even said he's a leader. Maybe if we can get another shotblocker and trade a forward, or even a young guy like Cisco+someone else Corliss will get some PT.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
I want to see him get playing time somewhere but I really think we need his veteran leadership in the lockerroom. He was frustrated but he didn't let it affect the rest of the team. Artest even said he's a leader. Maybe if we can get another shotblocker and trade a forward, or even a young guy like Cisco+someone else Corliss will get some PT.
If we make a big trade with anyone, he'll probably be involved. Or am I just obssesing over the fact that he has an expiring contract?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Kiss Murder
Decent playground baller

Kiss Murder has no real reputation yet.
Arrow Take control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52

I really hope Corliss gets 10-15 minutes worth of PT this season. He's a good player, a good person, and a classy player in general. I remember I was at the game in the playoffs and I think all the fans were saying "WE WANT CORLISS!" That was awesome.

Go Corliss.

I've always liked the style Corliss plays. He's a low-post small forward scorer. His mid-range jump shot is...basically as good as any other out there. Adelman was so scared to put in Corliss because "Who is Corliss going to guard?"

Rick Adelman
:stupid:

Anyways, Corliss brings some what of a scoring punch, and he really can score. Showed us he can in this pre-season game, even though it's just 1 pre-season game. Has a really solid low post game.
Kiss Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: