Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jimmer video. Ive watched him a bit this year and I cant decide on a prediction.

I have seen him play 25-30 times in person, and he is almost shocking to watch. I have never seen anyone with his range. I was at a game in January, and saw him make 10 in a row from 30+ feet during warmups. His body control and court awareness are uncanny, and he is a great passer.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Jimmer video. Ive watched him a bit this year and I cant decide on a prediction.

Anything in the top 10-12 picks is too high for this guy. He'll probably go top 10, but he shouldn't. No handles, average athleticism, no defense, average quickness/speed, and, at 6'1/6'2, is really a 2-guard in a PG's body. If he's available at 15-20, he's worth taking, but not much before that.

My prediction: Career 6th/7th man for a good team or fringe starter for a bad team. My guess is that he ends up being a Steve Kerr/Eddie House type player who can come in and be a great spot up shooter (averaging 11-13ppg in his prime), but don't expect much more because he just doesn't have the talent to be a great player.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 03-20-2011 at 07:54 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I haven't watched him a lot, but what NBA player has a build like him? He doesn't seem like he's long at all (maybe it's just because he's pretty wide) and he's not going to be getting past any NBA point guards with his athleticism. Not that he's unathletic exactly, but compared to the NBA point guard position which is completely stacked with insane athletes he's just not going to compete. If he could play 2 guard, then maybe I could see him getting a chance, but like I said, he's doesn't seem very long and he's only 6-2. You just don't see guys built like him in the NBA. He's definitely got real NBA 3 pt range though, so maybe he could make it in a derek Fisher type role.
    See, I disagree on the athleticism side of it. I'm impressed by his athleticism, as I said in my above post... And I do think he has a nice first step and he would be able to get by a lot of guards on the next level. His length (or lack thereof) could be a real problem, though.

Like I said... I don't see him being a starting point guard in the NBA with his scoring mentality, but he isn't long enough to play the 2.

Combo guard off of the bench... Book it. He could help a good team that can cover up some of his deficiencies and could use a scoring spark off of the bench. To me, that is his ceiling.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    rich mans stephen curry with iversons scoring ability, perennial allstar and all-nbaer for years to come, easily #1 pick in this draft and im very picky with white players

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Anything in the top 10-12 picks is too high for this guy. He'll probably go top 10, but he shouldn't. No handles, average athleticism, average quickness/speed, and is really a 2-guard in a PG's body.

My prediction: Career 6th/7th man for a good team or fringe starter for a bad team. My guess is that he ends up being a Steve Kerr/Eddie House type player who can come in and be a great spot up shooter (averaging 11-13ppg in his prime), but don't expect much more because he just doesn't have the talent to be a great player.
    r u retarded??? his handles with be top 10 in the nba right now, his first step i would say is elite even though he's not that quick and he can get to the basket at will because of his handles. He's passing ability is starting pg caliber and hes probably stronger than 90% of the pgs in the league which is why he's such an amazing finisher at the college level despite his low ups

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Jameer is much more of a natural point guard. I really don't see Fredette being a starting point guard in the NBA. In fact, I think the closer comparison on that St. Joes team would be Delonte West. Jimmer is sort of a shorter Delonte with a little better jumper and worse shot selection.
    yea i can see that too as well

i was just comparing with in terms of draft stock though

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    r u retarded??? his handles with be top 10 in the nba right now, his first step i would say is elite even though he's not that quick and he can get to the basket at will because of his handles. He's passing ability is starting pg caliber and hes probably stronger than 90% of the pgs in the league which is why he's such an amazing finisher at the college level despite his low ups
    I'm not sure what kind of flame this is, but I can think of at least 10 players likely to come out who will become better NBA players than Jimmer.

DGARAS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

you're all being too harsh. thing that separates this guy from the rest is that he's a hard worker.

and he played 4 years in college. now that's a disadvantage? i've seen people say that players should stay in college longer, now it's he should have come to the nba sooner. lol

make up your minds. stop hating.

yea he's white. his first step is fine. his shooting is great. he's a better version of eddie house that can run the offense a little bit. 15+ is fine for him.

anything could happen though. he could work hard and become a good nba player. you never know.

Banned

From a lot of the posts im reading, most people have only watched the BYU Wolford game and are making assumptions based on that. Jimmer has an NBA level first step, the best range of any player (college or NBA), and uses his body very well (deron williams like). He wont be a star IMO, but he could be a Jason Terry type player and make some allstar games.

It'll be interesting to see what he does in the NBA. I wont run away from a plate full of crow if he become an All Star caliber guard. We've seen great college players before who go to the NBA and their transition isnt so smooth. Aman Morrison? I couldnt tell you what team he currently plays for. JJ Redick however has been carving his place in the league. Havent seen much of Tyler Hansborough but Jameer Nelson turned into a starting caliber player. Chances Jimmer can do even that? I'm not sure. We'll see who is right and wrong.

I thought Adam Morrison was gonna be a player in the game. Not franchise, but definately an All Star caliber forward.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxballer
    From a lot of the posts im reading, most people have only watched the BYU Wolford game and are making assumptions based on that. Jimmer has an NBA level first step, the best range of any player (college or NBA), and uses his body very well (deron williams like). He wont be a star IMO, but he could be a Jason Terry type player and make some allstar games.
    A Jason Terry level player isnt making all star games in the NBA especially at the PG position. So you need to pick a side. Either Jimmer becomes a star (which would lead to all star games) or he wont. Be a solid starting caliber talent in the mold of Jason Terry.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGARAS
    you're all being too harsh. thing that separates this guy from the rest is that he's a hard worker.

and he played 4 years in college. now that's a disadvantage? i've seen people say that players should stay in college longer, now it's he should have come to the nba sooner. lol

make up your minds. stop hating.

yea he's white. his first step is fine. his shooting is great. he's a better version of eddie house that can run the offense a little bit. 15+ is fine for him.

anything could happen though. he could work hard and become a good nba player. you never know.
    No one is 'hating.' And, no amount of hard-work will make Jimmer 6-foot-5, which is where he really needs to be to dominate in the NBA with his style of play and physical tools. He is a great college player, but the NBA is a different animal all-together.

I don't think it is a slight to say that a guy has potential to be a good 6th man, energy guy off of the bench on a good NBA team.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DGARAS
    he's a better version of eddie house that can run the offense a little bit. 15+ is fine for him.
    Better version of Eddie House where? Eddie House was a beast at Arizona St. and averaged like 24, 6, and 4 as a senior against good college teams so I wouldn't be so quick to say he's a better version of Eddie House. Jimmer hasn't played an NBA game yet.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 03-20-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Post-prime Jason Terry with even more range. Lottery for sure.
    If you want to compare someone to Jason Terry, compare Brandon Knight to him, not Jimmer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    See, I disagree on the athleticism side of it. I'm impressed by his athleticism, as I said in my above post... And I do think he has a nice first step and he would be able to get by a lot of guards on the next level. His length (or lack thereof) could be a real problem, though.

Like I said... I don't see him being a starting point guard in the NBA with his scoring mentality, but he isn't long enough to play the 2.

Combo guard off of the bench... Book it. He could help a good team that can cover up some of his deficiencies and could use a scoring spark off of the bench. To me, that is his ceiling.
    I guess I haven't watched a whole lot of him, so I could easily be wrong. However, I just don't think a guy with that type of body can thrive in the NBA. And I didn't say he was unathletic, but just looking through most starting NBA point guards, he's probably the least athletic I can think of excluding Fisher. At the shooting guard he wouldn't be so bad, it's just that the point guard is filled with some crazy athletes.