Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: So, who here doesn't believe in evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    creationism and evolution are both theories. One has evidence, the other is all faith. But even the one with the evidence is still called a theory. It just comes down to what the thread says: "believe".
    Scientific Theory

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] Scientists create scientific theories from hypotheses that have been corroborated through the scientific method, then gather evidence to test their accuracy. As with all forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive and explanatory force.[3][4]
    The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, which is measured by its ability to make falsifiable predictions with respect to those phenomena. Theories are improved as more evidence is gathered, so that accuracy in prediction improves over time. Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease.
    Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.[3] This is significantly different from the word "theory" in common usage, which implies that something is unsubstantiated or speculative.[5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

There is an ocean of difference between a hypothesis and a scientific theory.
    Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.
    You dont have to believe in the theory of evolution. it already has a mountain of evidence

The difference between a scientific theory and a scientific law is not that laws have a higher standard of proof. Scientific laws are narrower in scope and focus.

Both scientific laws and scientific theories are produced from the scientific method through the formation and testing of hypotheses, and can predict the behavior of the natural world. Both are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence.[23] However, scientific laws are descriptive accounts of how nature will behave under certain conditions.[24] Scientific theories are broader in scope, and give overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics. Theories are supported by evidence from many different sources, and may contain one or several laws.[25]
    A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory; a law will always remain a law.[23][26]
    Theories and laws are also distinct from hypotheses. Unlike hypotheses, theories and laws may be simply referred to as scientific
    fact.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Why do you care though? I never understood that. If someone told me they don't believe in gravity I would respect their view and not really give a shit . Doesn't effect me. It's a large world and not everyone relies on science for their answers. There is nothing wrong with that
    The problem is there is something very wrong with ignoring facts and evidence. just think about all of the medical advance alone that come from accepting the reality of evolution. How do you study the changes in viruses if you dont accept evolution?

I enjoy saying I don't believe in evolution just to see how worked up people who believe in it get . A lot of them are legitimately offended if you don't believe in what they do
    Its fine if you choose to be ignorant of science. The problem is the people who want to prevent the teaching of evolution in our schools, or to teach intelligent design in our science classes. This has long term effects on our nation's national security, economy and health care system.
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    Genes changing is just one part of evolution. Natural selection, sexual selection, breeding, etc. all just alter the particular frequency of a gene, or combination of genes, within a population.

Gene mutations, which are random, provide variation. The mutations which aid in reproduction end up being better represented within the population(i.e are selected), over time. When we breed animals, we're selecting for certain genes. When females copulate with dominant males (sexual selection), they're unwittingly selecting for certain genes. When a slow wildebeest gets pounced on by a lion (natural selection), nature is selecting for certain genes. They're all part of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    so if "God" influenced the results that would also be "evolution" and not "intelligent design" correct?
    There is no evidence that natural selection is influenced by a sentient being though.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You shouldn't though. Very few people who agree that evolution is a fact know much about (if anything) the mechanics behind evolution and the evidence for it. Most people have no clue that so many of our medical advances are a direct result of our understand of evolution for instance. They simply accept the theory because they acknowledge the expertise behind the theory, not because they understand what is going on.

If that part of a persons rationale is corrupted from the day they were born it's very hard to break out of it. And especially inherently smart people can go literally insane trying to break out of it, like that Michael Behe guy.
    Even if they dont understand it themselves, atleast they are humble enough to accept that something behind their understanding can be true, and that scientists smarter than them in this field do understand it.

I don't fully understand how the big bang theory works. Just because I am not knowledgeable enough in this field, I don't assume the theory is wrong.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Why do you "evolution heads" always argue over beliefs? Your motive isn't actually understanding someone elses opinion but to try and assert your supposed superiority upon others.
    Because there is evidence on our side, we dont believe anything.

Its like if I said Lebron is a better basketball player than Steve Blake

And you responded that it is your right to believe that steve blake is the better basketball player, and that if I deny your right to say Steve Blake is better at Basketball than Lebron, I am not respecting your opinion.

And further Inside the NBA should be forced to talk about the POV that Steve Blake is better at basketball than Lebron. That they should talk about all the opinions. No matter how much evidence there is that Lebron is better at basketball than Steve Blake, The opinion that steve blake is better at basketball than lebron should be given equal respect.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 11-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.

If someone has a better theory than evolution, I am all ears. I haven't heard one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    Wrong answer. The correct one is that "we don't come from monkeys; we share a common ancestry with them".
    We derived form primates, people think of primates as monkeys, you know what he meant

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Even if they dont understand it themselves, atleast they are humble enough to accept that something behind their understanding can be true, and that scientists smarter than them in this field do understand it.

I don't fully understand how the big bang theory works. Just because I am not knowledgeable enough in this field, I don't assume the theory is wrong.
    Sure, obviously. But that plays into what I'm saying though, if you grew up under different circumstances your whole concept of who to trust and who to revere would be different.

I know I'm smart enough to understand who has expertise and who hasn't. But I also recognize that my parents and other authority figures played a part in giving me the freedom of relatively free thought. Not everyone has this luxury, but it doesn't mean I have to have disdain for their intellectual ability. It's largely a matter of how you grew up and how much you were allowed to come to your own conclusions.

Banned

Whether one 'believes' in evolution or not is completely irrelevant (Unless they try to use the legal/education system to force their 'beliefs' on the masses). It is a question of tangible evidence/fact, not blind faith taken on the word of ancient goat herders.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 11-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    We derived form primates, people think of primates as monkeys, you know what he meant
    All I know is that he's an ignorant buffoon railing on something he has zero understanding of. We don't "derive from" primates. We "are" primates. Try educating yourself about the biological classification hierarchy. Primates are in the "family" classification, just above "genus", which is above "species".

All I know is that he's an ignorant buffoon railing on something he has zero understanding of. We don't "derive from" primates. We "are" primates. Try educating yourself about the biological classification hierarchy. Primates are in the "family" classification, just above "genus", which is above "species".
    Ugh, again, we are in the same genus as gorillas , Hominidae or big apes if I am correct, god damn it, our closest ancestors are the bonobo monkeys. I just didn't feel like going specific because he was a moron. Now get off your high horse, ofc I know this shit.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    Ugh, again, we are in the same genus as gorillas ,
    Actually, we aren't. "Gorilla" is its own genus. Our genus is "homo".

Actually, we aren't. "Gorilla" is its own genus. Our genus is "homo".
    True, Hominidae is a family.
    Well, since I'm a science and technology major, mistakes like this are expected, instead of arguing you learn.

Because there is evidence on our side, we dont believe anything.

Its like if I said Lebron is a better basketball player than Steve Blake

And you responded that it is your right to believe that steve blake is the better basketball player, and that if I deny your right to say Steve Blake is better at Basketball than Lebron, I am not respecting your opinion.

And further Inside the NBA should be forced to talk about the POV that Steve Blake is better at basketball than Lebron. That they should talk about all the opinions. No matter how much evidence there is that Lebron is better at basketball than Steve Blake, The opinion that steve blake is better at basketball than lebron should be given equal respect.
    Do you guys even read? The point is not whether one is wrong or right. It's that you guys only argue over this because you feel you're superior to others.

Its fine if you choose to be ignorant of science
    I think that science is important but I don't accept science as the explanation for everything that surrounds me. There are millions of things that science hasn't explained,and we truly know close to nothing about the planet we live on.

The problem is the people who want to prevent the teaching of evolution in our schools, or to teach intelligent design in our science classes. This has long term effects on our nation's national security, economy and health care system.
    Evolution is taught in schools and there is 0 restriction on researching it independently in the United States.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

I think that science is important but I don't accept science as the explanation for everything that surrounds me.
    What do you mean by this? What things surround you, which are incompatible with science?

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Do you guys even read? The point is not whether one is wrong or right. It's that you guys only argue over this because you feel you're superior to others.
    That isn't what motivates me.

1. Many people don't have a firm position yet. They don't know who is right, and who is wrong. Their ultimate decision will depend on the arguments that they see/hear. They will go over to whichever side seems more convincing. If there is no public argument, then they will think that there are simply competing authorities, making equally valid claims, and believe whatever resonates with them emotionally.

2. Some people have genuine misunderstandings. They honestly think that their position is the right one. If things were just clarified for them, it would deepen their understanding, and enable them to rethink their position.

3. It's easy to privately hold a false belief, and never really question it. When you put your thoughts to paper, especially if open to criticism, you're more likely to notice the flaws in your own thinking.

4. The ideas which are considered acceptable in a society play a role in shaping the way the culture develops. If we let stupid ideas go unopposed, we will be a stupid society. If we let intolerant ideas go unopposed, we will be an intolerant society. If we believe that it all comes down to individual preferences, and that no ideas are truly better than others, we will be a weak, apathetic society.