Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

I don't get how MJ is so bad when he is the GOAT and has a high bbal IQ?

I mean, look at Larry Bird.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch

Perhaps MJs bball IQ is greatly over rated?

He did well today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Perhaps MJs bball IQ is greatly over rated?
    Do you want me to list his accomplishments? You don't get those without a high bball IQ.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Do you want me to list his accomplishments? You don't get those without a high bball IQ.
    gifted athlete. unbelievable work ethic.
    bball IQ? sure, its probably fairly high. Not like Bird or Magic, but certainly higher than most.

Not airballing my layups anymore LOGoods7's Avatar

Well, if they're trying to do the OKC model then this should work...they'll be horrible again this year but maybe MKG can at least make them less of a joke team, they should then try to draft Shabazz and let Henderson walk. They'll have 2 talented wings on rookie contracts and can go from there. The Bobcats don't want to get good too fast.

bball IQ? sure, its probably fairly high. Not like Bird or Magic, but certainly higher than most.
    Measuring basketball IQ now? By the way, Magic Johnson was a piss poor coach and has never had the responsibility of drafting players. He was a minority owner with little say on basketball operations. To judge someone's basketball IQ based on their decisions as an owner/GM is foolish and misguided. Drafting and scouting is an imperfect science and few are very good at it. You also need to put in the work and many around Jordan have suggested he hasn't, which reflects poorly on his work ethic as an owner and not on his basketball IQ.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Deltron3030's Avatar

Drafting in hoops is hit or miss, one of the reasons why it's called the "lottery" I suppose. You basically have the majority of the top 10 or so prospects playing only one season in college which is not a lot of tape. Think of how many games you have to scout someone in the NFL when it comes to Andrew Luck or RG3. To me, it just makes more sense to always trade a high pick for quality proven players and not take a risk. With that said, this isn't a bad pick. Might have been better to trade down and bait to take Beal, but obviously no one was biting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltron3030
    Drafting in hoops is hit or miss, one of the reasons why it's called the "lottery" I suppose. You basically have the majority of the top 10 or so prospects playing only one season in college which is not a lot of tape. Think of how many games you have to scout someone in the NFL when it comes to Andrew Luck or RG3. To me, it just makes more sense to always trade a high pick for quality proven players and not take a risk. With that said, this isn't a bad pick. Might have been better to trade down and bait to take Beal, but obviously no one was biting.
    Exactly. Good pick and good restraint in resisting Barnes, which would have been a bad pick.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Bird is the only one to show he has high basketball IQ after retirement.

Magic has success off the court with his Magic Theatre, numerous charity foundations and recently being a co-owner of the Dodgers. He failed as a coach back in the mid-90's. And I don't think being a 5% share owner of the Lakers equal smart basketball IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    Bird is the only one to show he has high basketball IQ after retirement.

Magic has success off the court with his Magic Theatre, numerous charity foundations and recently being a co-owner of the Dodgers. He failed as a coach back in the mid-90's. And I don't think being a 5% share owner of the Lakers equal smart basketball IQ.
    Bird was also fortunate to inherit a team with a good foundation when he took the helm as president of basketball operations in 2003. Jordan inherited two horrible franchises, one an expansion franchise. He hasn't done a good job drafting but he never had anything to work with initially. Bird did do a good job over the duration of his run, it wasn't flawless but he did a good job.

Cats are building a team for 3-4 years from now, so I'm guessing they think that while MKG isn't the best player available now (that seemed to be Thomas Robinson) in 3 years time, if he develops properly then he'll be quality.

Rich Cho said he had total autonomy to make picks, so I can't see MJ overruling. That was the entire point of making Higgins the Pres and hiring Cho as GM, so he didn't have to make the decisions anymore.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Bird was also fortunate to inherit a team with a good foundation when he took the helm as president of basketball operations in 2003. Jordan inherited two horrible franchises, one an expansion franchise. He hasn't done a good job drafting but he never had anything to work with initially. Bird did do a good job over the duration of his run, it wasn't flawless but he did a good job.
    Bird was part of the Pacers organization since 1997-ish. He was their head coach in the 90's before becoming their Executive of Basketball Operations.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Cats are building a team for 3-4 years from now, so I'm guessing they think that while MKG isn't the best player available now (that seemed to be Thomas Robinson) in 3 years time, if he develops properly then he'll be quality.

Rich Cho said he had total autonomy to make picks, so I can't see MJ overruling. That was the entire point of making Higgins the Pres and hiring Cho as GM, so he didn't have to make the decisions anymore.
    Good point. Seems to be a change in philosophy in hiring an actual basketball mind and not just one of MJ's buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    Bird was part of the Pacers organization since 1997-ish. He was their head coach in the 90's before becoming their Executive of Basketball Operations.
    I know this, he did a good job.