Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bobcats pursuing Ramon Sessions and Brendan Haywood

Only seen the highlights on NBA.com, but yeah MKG looking real good! Loved that dunk after the mid-court in the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Mullens took 7 threes? Sorry, can't help be a little bitter he's not suiting up for GB at the Olympics haha. Still my guy though. It's fair to say Bismack was pretty active too in limited minutes!

Agree with you guys, really don't want Hump for that amount of salary, though I do think he gets a raw deal from fans and the media.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
    So in today's big amnesty machinations: Bobcats claim Mavs castoff Brendan Haywood & Wolves castoff Darko Milicic now available to masses
    No link, just seen this tweet though.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ywood-via.html

LAS VEGAS – Brendan Haywood already lives in Charlotte. Now he works there, too.

The Charlotte Bobcats claimed Dallas Mavericks center and former North Carolina Tar Heel Haywood off waivers Saturday. The move – expected to cost about $6 million over the next three seasons – could land the Bobcats their starter in the middle.

Seven-footer Haywood was waived Thursday under the NBA's amnesty provision, which allows each team to cut one player and no longer count his salary against that team's cap. The Bobcats agreed to pay about $2 million each season of what the Mavs still owe Haywood in a blind-auction process for amnestied players.

"When you have an opportunity to get a quality center, you do it," said Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins."He's somebody we're familiar with from his rookie season in Washington."

Higgins and Bobcats owner Michael Jordan were running the Wizards' basketball operation when Haywood arrived as a rookie. The Mavericks amnestied him Thursday in order to sign free-agent center Chris Kaman. Haywood has a home in Charlotte and frequently worked out at Time Warner Cable Arena with various Bobcats the past few summers.

"He's a defender, a rebounder, a runner and a shot-blocker," Higgins described. "He has the ability to take up space in the paint, and we need that. He really rolls hard to the basket (offensively). The way he plays, he has to be honored in the paint, and we need that" to free up perimeter shooters.

Haywood, 32, grew up in Greensboro before becoming a Tar Heel. He played at North Carolina with power forward Antawn Jamison, who the Bobcats are recruiting in free-agency. Signing Jamison would likely complete the Bobcats’ major off-season acquisitions, after they signed point guard Ramon Sessions on Friday.

Over a 10-year NBA career, Haywood has averaged 7.2 points and 62 rebounds and shot 53 percent from the field. He’ll compete with fellow centers Bismack Biyombo and Byron Mullens for playing time.

The Observer first reported the Bobcats’ interest in Haywood Wednesday. He cleared waivers – with the Bobcats submitting the winning bid – about 5 p.m. Saturday.

Higgins said Haywood’s foot speed and shot-blocking ability could be particularly useful in the system new coach Mike Dunlap is installing.

"In the up-tempo defensive mechanism we'll have, a shot-blocker as the last line of defense is always helpful," Higgins said.

Higgins said a veteran center could be good for Biyombo, as a mentor.

"He can lean on Brendan," Higgins said.

Bonnell lists our depth chart in this morning's paper:

Kemba, Sessions, Higgins (sigh)
    Hendo, Gordon, Williams
    MKG, Brown, Taylor
    TT, Jamison?
    Haywood, Biyombo, Mullens

Where's Carroll and Diop?

Personally I'd rather have Scola but it seems we're gonna sign either him, Jamison or Landry.

So far this off-season we've had a trade (Gordon), draft (MKG, Taylor) and free agency (Sessions, Haywood, tbd PF). Nothing earth shattering but all solid moves imo. I wish the season were starting tomorrow.
    Last edited by rufuspaul; 07-15-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Don't Carroll and Diop have player options for this upcoming season?

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    Not sure. Spectre would know.

Local High School Star

Diop and Carroll are gone after this season. Thats close to 11 million in expirings, add in the amnesty (if we choose to use it) on Thomas, and you have close to 20 million.

You've been 'Smacked!

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    Yes, and both opted in (surprise!).

At this point I'm hoping we get an up and comer...HOU just waived 2 bigs so maybe one of those guys.

We are right at the cap and because we started with capspace we have no MLE. With the amnesty deadline gone don't expect anymore big FA signings.

Shocked the Bobcats didn't draft Barnes. If Jordan really wants him as much as he says, then he could always take advantage of MKG and reel in Barnes +...not that it's gonna happen.

I think Sessions can start with Kemba. Issue, of course, is size. I think Kemba is more a combo 2guard than a combo PG. He's just short. If Sessions could guard shooting guards then Kemba could guard PG's. Not sure.

I think you're a little late to this party.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

nice pick up .. if they get scola then looks decent enough to rack up some wins.. but do you think that getting a better prospect next year would make this team a playoff team?

just saying.. i mean time for MJ to reclaim his glory as an owner ;)

You've been 'Smacked!

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    nice pick up .. if they get scola then looks decent enough to rack up some wins.. but do you think that getting a better prospect next year would make this team a playoff team?

just saying.. i mean time for MJ to reclaim his glory as an owner ;)
    Next year. We still need another top 5 pick...then we'll be going in with a lot of crap salary off the books and Sessions/Gordon as expirers.