Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Luc Longley?

Default Re: Luc Longley?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    It depends on how you look at it. I feel if longley plays today, against lesser quality centers as compared to what he had to compete against, his production would be much better. Id venture to guess his production per game would be around 13/8 with 2 blocks. Thats marc gasol type numbers.
    he could never stay in the game long enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    He's biased, give him a break.
    Im not being biased, i just take evrything into consideration. Olajuwan, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutombo were just as dominant defensive centers as Dwight Howard. Even better arguably. Then you have the next tier of defensive centers like muresan, bradly, and camby. Who were on line with tyson chandler.

Im not being biased, i just take evrything into consideration. Olajuwan, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutombo were just as dominant defensive centers as Dwight Howard. Even better arguably. Then you have the next tier of defensive centers like muresan, bradly, and camby. Who were on line with tyson chandler.
    brother, that's biased.
    chandler is better than them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

It depends on how you look at it. I feel if longley plays today, against lesser quality centers as compared to what he had to compete against, his production would be much better. Id venture to guess his production per game would be around 13/8 with 2 blocks. Thats marc gasol type numbers.
    The game today has made it harder for big men to score and easier on perimeter players so I highly doubt he averages 13. And averaging 8 rpg is a stretch, in 30 MPG he barley averaged 6 RPG in 1998 and that came when centers like Ewing, Olajuwon, & Robinson were on their last legs. Mutumbo made the All-NBA team that year so it's not like centers were extremely stacked.

To say he would put up the same production as Marc Gasol is ludicrous.

Players like Olajuwon, Ewing, & Robinson from 96-98 were not as dominant defensively than current Dwight Howard, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    he could never stay in the game long enough for that.
    Yeah cuz hes guarding better quality centers than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    brother, that's biased.
    chandler is better than them.
    Hes better as a whole, but defensively? No those guys controlled the paint just as good as chandler.

The game today has made it harder for big men to score and easier on perimeter players so I highly doubt he averages 13. And averaging 8 rpg is a stretch, in 30 MPG he barley averaged 6 RPG in 1998 and that came when centers like Ewing, Olajuwon, & Robinson were on their last legs. Mutumbo made the All-NBA team that year so it's not like centers were extremely stacked.

To say he would put up the same production as Marc Gasol is ludicrous.
    Ludicrous? Gasol avg 14 and 8 this past year. And his role in memphis offense was alot larger than longleys was in chicago.

Ludicrous? Gasol avg 14 and 8 this past year. And his role in memphis offense was alot larger than longleys was in chicago.
    Gasol put up 14.5 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks per game and was selected to the All-Star team. Longley could only dream of putting up those numbers.

Gasol put up 14.5 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks per game and was selected to the All-Star team. Longley could only dream of putting up those numbers.
    As has already been said, Longley didn't get as many minutes as Gasol (~20 mins per game). On a per-36 minute scale, his career numbers are 12.3/8.4/2.5/1.6.

I don't see any huge differences there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    As has already been said, Longley didn't get as many minutes as Gasol (~20 mins per game). On a per-36 minute scale, his career numbers are 12.3/8.4/2.5/1.6.

Stats don't really tell the whole story. Gasol is a MUCH better basketball player than Longley. Gasol is a better rebounder, a better finisher inside, a better passer, more active on the defensive end and he is much more mobile than Longley. Longley couldn't give you 35 MPG because of his limited stamina, you don't have that problem with Gasol.

Really, stats is the last thing you want to use when judging a player like Marc Gasol, a player like Greg Monroe has similar stats to Gasol, but anyone who knows the game will tell you that Marc is the better player by a good margin.

You guys must be on some if you really think Longley would average 14/9 in today's league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

If you combined all of the Bulls centers from their 6 Championships you might get close to Gasol.

As the fourth option no less. Playing against better centers.

Stats don't really tell the whole story. Gasol is a MUCH better basketball player than Longley. Gasol is a better rebounder, a better finisher inside, a better passer, more active on the defensive end and he is much more mobile than Longley. Longley couldn't give you 35 MPG because of his limited stamina, you don't have that problem with Gasol.
    Again, no one is saying that Longley was elite. I think, though, that he's being seriously undersold.

Stats don't tell the whole story sometimes, but in this case it does tell part of the story. Longley was a very serviceable big man who would have done more if his minutes had been expanded.

Of course, the Grizz don't have any player nearly as ball-dominant as MJ, so its a comparison to Gasol is a difficult one to make.

Gasol has had stamina issues, by the way.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

the Grizz don't have any player nearly as ball-dominant as MJ, so its a comparison to Gasol is a difficult one to make.
    It's not. Gasol might have been an all-star on those Bulls teams. I like Lucy but he's no where near the player Marc is.