Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ocean Acidification/Neutralization

Ocean "acidification".

Ocean "neutralization" would be the correct term, it just doesn't sound scary enough.
    Last edited by K; 10-25-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Global Warming Alarmism

I for one welcome a warmer, wetter global climate, whether human induced or not.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

i had to look it up

[QUOTE]Ocean acidification is the name given to the ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth's oceans, caused by the uptake of anthropogenic carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere. About 30

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    i had to look it up
    Perversion of basic science.

Look, when going from alkaline towards more neutral it's called "neutralization". It's not "acidification" until it actually goes from neutral into acidic.

They could've just called it what it actually is, but, like I said, it doesn't sound scary enough.
    Last edited by K; 10-23-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Banned

[QUOTE=K

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    its all nothing but a marketing tool, and a way to control the masses.

Also, with this new Carbon tax bullshit Obama was trying to pass,its another thing the government can tax you for.

Nothing gets you spending like the end of the world!
    "If you dont buy this expensive electric car, the world will end. If you don't pay your carbon tax, the world will end and the polar bears will die."

No one will admit this, and they will get angry and call me stupid, but this is no different from what the Popes used to do to the peasantry back in the middle ages. They'd make up some doomsday theory and tell everyone that God would destroy their world if the people didn't pay a tax to the Pope. Or he'd sell passes to heaven. Sure enough, the idiots payed, just like they're paying now.
    What we need to do is adapt to warmer climate, if it comes, and take full advantage of it instead of wasting resources.
    Last edited by K; 10-23-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    You're f*cking stupid.
    Hey, man, no need to get your panties in a bunch just because I want to take the alarmism out of the equation and have people adopt proper terminology.
    Last edited by K; 10-23-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Banned

Just to clarify, I'm not denying climate change or the fact that humans have influence on it, I'm just not buying into the doom alarmism.

   

[QUOTE=K

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

[QUOTE=K

Neutralization implies once the pH is neutral everything stops. Acidification implies that the shit is getting more acidic and will continue to do so. Currently it is both getting nearer to neutral, and becoming more acidic; but a neutral pH is not the baseline at which the acidification will stop.

They're using a proper term.
    This. That is the way we would use these terms in the manufacturing world working with formulations.

[QUOTE=K

The technical term is acidification. It's used in limnology, oceanography, soil science, pretty much any basic field. No one says neutralization you dipshit. Furthermore, it's a pretty significant problem that's disrupting life cycles of several organisms and the systems that depend on them. Mainly because certain "life cycle cues" are dependent on previous levels of acidity and now they're not happening in more acidic environments; especially those that have more acute symptoms beyond the mild levels of acidity stated in an earlier post.

OP getting destroyed with actual chemistry facts

probably doesn't even know that the ocean and its life form is pH sensitive

Banned

Neutralization implies once the pH is neutral everything stops. Acidification implies that the shit is getting more acidic and will continue to do so. Currently it is both getting nearer to neutral, and becoming more acidic; but a neutral pH is not the baseline at which the acidification will stop.

They're using a proper term.
    Sigh, it's not acidic so how would it become "more acidic". You've been duped. Neutralization is the correct term when going towards neutral. It's not acidification until it actually starts moving from the neutral towards the acidic. For example, soil is usually a little bit acidic so when it goes further down the scale you can call it "soil acidification".

Also, even if you were correct, it's still complete nonsense because the ocean is basic and lies on top of a shitload of minerals. No amount of CO2 humans could possibly emit will ever turn the ocean acidic. So, even with your wrong notion of the terms, ocean "acidification" is still nothing but scaremongering and should be called "neutralization" regardless.
    Last edited by K; 10-23-2013 at 02:18 PM.