Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Default Re: Why are many basketball fans so obsessed with rankings?

...Uhhh... Because sports are competitions and competitions are there to decide who is better. You know what, you're right. They should just abolish stats, championships... hell, don't even keep score. Everyone gets a championship trophy at the end of the season a la a 12 year old ymca league, those guys know what's up.

Also, I'd say boxing is generally more obsessed with all-time rankings and is imo vastly more fun to discuss than individual basketball rankings.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
    It's neither misguided nor an opinion.
    Of course it is... You just said "They would be wrong...." This isnt "on" topic.

You can debate it with yourself by yourself. Baseball and Football fans respect previous era's accomplishments the NBA looks to discredit them.

Krust Kingz

Also in Baseball and Football people are generally fans of teams and individuals. In Basketball once Jordan came people became fans of individuals if ever teams or allegiances wavered upon time of day or what was eaten in the morning.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

It's not so much rankings as it's just crazy player fans. You have people rooting for there teammates to suck so there favorite guy can look better. People cheering for one guy to have better stats than the other. Everything else seems to come 2nd behind legacy/rankings etc for some online basketball fans.

Rankings are across all sports on the internet. NBA by far has the most player driven player fans with agenda's and bias. Seems to be like one small group of players too, where in other sports you have people who care about the team first and therefore you get way more players getting pushed and less bullshit.

Think because the sport is more individual and the rotations are shorter. WR you have a bunch of guys to rank, C in hockey same, in basketball you have your big/elite guys and that list is pretty short. So you basically have just mass groups stanning like 3-4 players.

Why is it that no other sport seems to have this problem
    Because in the other big 3 sports, there's a lot more teammates. Especially in Football when you have offensive players who don't play defense etc..

Decent college freshman

It's mostly deluded Kobe fans that are butthurt that their sidekick idol isn't as great as they think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Of course it is... You just said "They would be wrong...." This isnt "on" topic.

You can debate it with yourself by yourself. Baseball and Football fans respect previous era's accomplishments the NBA looks to discredit them.
    Baseball fans are just as obsessed with ranking. Know how I know? I just mind ****ed you into arguing with me about where Babe Ruth ranks all time. Hook, line, and sinker as they say. Little effort.

Krust Kingz

Baseball fans are just as obsessed with ranking. Know how I know? I just mind ****ed you into arguing with me about where Babe Ruth ranks all time. Hook, line, and sinker as they say. Little effort.
    Someone please point out how arguments work to this lad.

You are mind fukced, FACTS...

Someone please point out how arguments work to this lad.

You are mind fukced, FACTS...
    Take the loss like a man dude, you got played to prove my point to the OP. Baseball fans are just as guilty as basketball fans. I didn't know who would take the bait, but I knew someone would. I said Ruth wasn't the best ever and you ran in here so fast, you couldn't wait to tell me I was misguided, and that it was my "opinion".

Just accept you got worked and move along. My point to the OP has been proven tenfold.

Krust Kingz

Take the loss like a man dude, you got played to prove my point to the OP. Baseball fans are just as guilty as basketball fans. I didn't know who would take the bait, but I knew someone would. I said Ruth wasn't the best ever and you ran in here so fast, you couldn't wait to tell me I was misguided, and that it was my "opinion".

Just accept you got worked and move along. My point to the OP has been proven tenfold.
    Again laddy you obviously dont know what a debate or argument is.... google it. Obviously you dont have the necessary reading comprehension....

Perfect example of a misguided opinion with an NBA mindset...
    There is no argument there is no debate.... But you can run along assuming victory thats what pure NBA fans do anyways. Everything is an argument or debate.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Of all of the sports I've followed and have been a part of informed discussions/message boards, it seems like basketball is the sport with the fan following that's the most obsessed with RANKINGS.

Why?

Why is it that this sport inspires so many "fans" (at least, those on this website) to blindly sing the praises of their favorite player(s)and to aimlessly bad-mouth and and criticize others?

Many of the people on this website seem to not actually care about discussing basketball; rather, they seem to be content rambling on and on about any certain player's placement on "the GOAT list," a completely abstract, hypothetical type of ranking system, which many people seem to regard as some sort of omnipotent, end-all be-all final judgment of a player's true merit.

I ask you, is this constant arguing ever going to accomplish anything? When did the fans become so fixated on mindlessly comparing every little facet of one player to another?

Why do we continue to endlessly over-analyze these players to the most minute, inconsequential detail, only to use these observations and details to belittle other players and posters with differing opinions?

Why is it that no other sport seems to have this problem (at least, not to the degree to which it is manifested on this board)?

Will we ever be able to simply appreciate all of the great players that have impacted the beautiful game of basketball in their own ways, without devolving into constant argument?
    Most of these "player" type fans are failures in real life and live through the accomplishments of their favorite NBA player. They get all pissed off when there hero gets put down, because it effects them personally.

This is rather entertaining for me, watching all these meltdowns take place on here.

Again laddy you obviously dont know what a debate or argument is.... google it. Obviously you dont have the necessary reading comprehension....

There is no argument there is no debate.... But you can run along assuming victory thats what pure NBA fans do anyways. Everything is an argument or debate.
    Everyone copes differently, don't take it too hard. It was never meant to be malicious, I was simply giving the OP a hands on example.

Everyone copes differently, don't take it too hard. It was never meant to be malicious, I was simply giving the OP a hands on example.
    You're not mindfuking anyone son, you can't even comprehend the difference between fact and opinion. Run along now before I L0ngcat this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    You're not mindfuking anyone son, you can't even comprehend the difference between fact and opinion. Run along now before I L0ngcat this thread.
    ******* it, I haven't seen one of those in awhile.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

It can be fun and makes for interesting debates.