Local High School Star

Default You can play basketball until you cannot stand. (Half-court game)

I'm saying this because there is this 57 year old guy who sometimes come and play half-court with us. Obviously, being that old he lacks alot of things but he has two things, a deadly accurate shot and a very quick release. Many times, he is a factor and people actually need to guard him.

Keep in mind, we are guys who play regular basketball, at least once a week or more for years. During my younger days, I played every day for hours. This is the truth, if you have a deadly shot you can play till 60 or until you cannot stand or move.

Default Re: You can play basketball until you cannot stand. (Half-court game)

My shot is garbage and I practice shooting a decent amount. FML.

Love Live Life

True.

I play with a few older guys close to their 50s and 60s and we play full court, It amazes me that they still run and get up the full without any problems.

You have to guard them also cause some can shoot and they have deceptive speed while driving.

Also that old man strength is something serious cause when they post you up its hard to push them out of the paint and on top of that some of them have legit post moves.

I actually prefer playing with them than younger guys cause they play the "right way" and don't sit at the top of the key dribble like they're in some kind of And 1 mixtape.

I really hope I still be active when I get that age. I'm 29 now and I've slacked off drastically since my younger days

Learning to shoot layups

shoot there is a 50 year old guy who plays with us, who can still ball like he is in his 20s. He has a great BBall IQ, and good post game, and can light it up when needed.

He is usually a top pic when running courts.

NBA Superstar

Yep, a father of one of my former players used to run in our open gyms. He had to have been in his mid-50's, and likely stood under 5'10'', but he was able to hang by doing things the right way. There were definitely things he just couldn't do, such as finishing strong in traffic over good-sized defenders, but he knew he couldn't do that, so he played within himself.

In fact, that feller may have been the best pick-and-roll player I've come across in a pickup setting, and that's with him as the 5'8'' screener and roller. He actually kind of opened my eyes a bit, in terms of playing the right way. If a guy his age and that size can find a way to be effective on the hardwood amongst the young bucks, there's probably a lot more I could do to maximize my own game (learning how to screen and roll as well as him, for starters).

On top of everything else, he had no delusions of grandeur. He knew who he was and who he wasn't, and that's pretty crucial on the hardwood. No worries about getting his shots or not being fed enough on the roll. He was just out there doing what he knew he could.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yep, a father of one of my former players used to run in our open gyms. He had to have been in his mid-50's, and likely stood under 5'10'', but he was able to hang by doing things the right way. There were definitely things he just couldn't do, such as finishing strong in traffic over good-sized defenders, but he knew he couldn't do that, so he played within himself.

In fact, that feller may have been the best pick-and-roll player I've come across in a pickup setting, and that's with him as the 5'8'' screener and roller. He actually kind of opened my eyes a bit, in terms of playing the right way. If a guy his age and that size can find a way to be effective on the hardwood amongst the young bucks, there's probably a lot more I could do to maximize my own game (learning how to screen and roll as well as him, for starters).

On top of everything else, he had no delusions of grandeur. He knew who he was and who he wasn't, and that's pretty crucial on the hardwood. No worries about getting his shots or not being fed enough on the roll. He was just out there doing what he knew he could.

Exactly.. I am 5 foot 10, and cant dunk. I cant attack boards, and I already know I dont have much of a chance against a guy that is tall and in the post. I can handle him outside the 10 foot mark, but if he closes in to the basket I am in trouble. One reason why I like playing with the guys I usually run with. We know our roles, we know where we excel and where we fall short. When we hit the courts we can usually win our first game, and run the court for a few times before someone finally beats us or we get too tired to run anymore.

I plan on ballin till the day I die... or maybe a few days before that

The older you get, the more you rely on IQ/oldman strength. I'm not old, but I am definitely stronger than I was when I was 18.