Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default Will Cassell get Bought Out?

Sam Cassell recently said that his agent has been working on getting him a buyout so that he could join the Celtics. Baylor, on the other hand, doesn't sound so hot about that idea. My question, Clippernation, is: Do you think Sam Cassell will be bought out/traded, and if so, where do we go from there?
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Will Cassell get Bought Out?

As thankful as I am towards Sammy for what he did for this organization, I have to say let's buy him out/trade him as soon as possible. After we get rid of him[don't mean it in a negative way], we should give Guillermo Diaz a contract for the rest of the year and see if we can have him in our future plans or not.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Moose

He should get bought out. The team won't make the playoffs this year even when Brand comes back. So theres no need in keeping a 38 year old PG who isn't all that happy.

I agree with qrich, sign Guillermo Diaz and see how he does with more minutes.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

adiedanny has decent reputation

Why buy him out when we can trade him and get much more such as a decent player a pick or a sign and trade at the end of the season along with Maggette. Sam is much too valuable to just let him walk away for nothing. It is rumored that Denver is really interested and are willing to form a package with J.R. involved.
adiedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far

I think he specifically wants to go to the Celtics and there's not really any trades that can get him there, so buyout is what he'd prefer
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
I think he specifically wants to go to the Celtics and there's not really any trades that can get him there, so buyout is what he'd prefer
How do we benefit by buying him out? I do not understand why everybody thinks he wants to go to The Celtics because of a couple of members of the media that just want to stir it up for the Clippers organization. Hopefully this will put everbody's mind at ease: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Quote:
"There's no truth to it," Cassell said by telephone from Toronto, where the Clippers play Friday night. "I never said I wanted to buy out my contract. There have been no negotiations, the team hasn't come to me about that, I have not gone to them about that."
Quote:
"That's not what I said," Cassell said. "The reporter said I'd be a perfect fit in Boston. I'm still a member of the Los Angeles Clippers and I want to win as many games as possible with the Clippers. I'm not happy that we're losing, but I have a lot of good teammates on this ballclub that I really enjoy being around."
Here is what I wrote on another Forum:
Quote:
You have to understand he is more interested in his long term future rather than to just go out and win a championship this year. He knows somewhere down the line The Clippers will use him in within the coaching staff. He is already coaching the team and helping with the development of our young talent.You really have to be dilusional to think The Clippers will just buy him out and hand him over to Boston. The Clippers announcer said they will not let Sam go for nothing especially when several teams have shown interest in him and have much more desirable assets to offer for him. Ask yourself this if you had a classic car and you had no interest in selling it but you have received several offers for tens of thousands of dollars yet this collector that has a pretty nice collection wants to pry it from your hands for a few measly dollars. Now what would you or any other smart business man would do? I know you want to improve your team but come on the rest of the League is not going to do all they can in their power to help you guys win a championship.
Quote:
The grass is not always greener on the other side even if your teams main color is green. Keep in mind no other team that Cassell has been on has accepted Sam and let Sam be Sam as much as The Clippers have. The team and the fans really appreciate Sam for his contribution to this team and believe me his future with us will go a whole lot further than the end of this season even if he does sign with another team next season. I hope his jersey will be the first jersey retired by the Clippers because no other player has been worthy of such a compliment other than Brand but his jersey will not be retired for quite some time.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
sdavis1781
I airball my layups

sdavis1781 has an OK reputation so far

Yea sam was great for us and was an excellent leader but this is a business, we cant buy him out. We need to trade to get something for him. i would take JR. Smith for Sam. Lets see him hit some 3s and what he can do. This season is lost so maybe Smith can help us trade for others..
sdavis1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis1781
Yea sam was great for us and was an excellent leader but this is a business, we cant buy him out. We need to trade to get something for him. i would take JR. Smith for Sam. Lets see him hit some 3s and what he can do. This season is lost so maybe Smith can help us trade for others..
co-sign
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Forget JR Smith, I don't want him. If we can get Kleiza from Denver for Sammy, then I'm all for it, but not JR. He just seems to much of a headcase and I have a hard time seeing him in a Clippers uni
Old 02-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
sdavis1781
I airball my layups

sdavis1781 has an OK reputation so far

Kleiza would be a nice pick-up for us. But they only pay him 1 or 2 mill a year for 12ppg, they have a good deal for now. I still wouldnt mind JR.Smith for Sam. Maybe a change would help Smith, either way it would only be for the end of the season before he signs a deal elswhere. If Smith can ever get his act together he can be a nice role player.
sdavis1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Even if the Clippers are unable to get a deal done before the feb 21st deadline I don't think it helps the Clips to buy him out. The only time you want to buy a guy out is if you don't want him around and I think the Clips are better with him there. True they aren't going anywhere this season, but he is under contract to play out the string and he is a good influence on the team.

I don't think the Clips "owe" it to Sam to let him go to a contender....he can do that next year ;)
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
darabzarrabi
High School JV MVP

darabzarrabi has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis1781
Kleiza would be a nice pick-up for us. But they only pay him 1 or 2 mill a year for 12ppg, they have a good deal for now. I still wouldnt mind JR.Smith for Sam. Maybe a change would help Smith, either way it would only be for the end of the season before he signs a deal elswhere. If Smith can ever get his act together he can be a nice role player.

Salaries dont match Cassel for JR Straight up I would like a deal like this

Aaron Williams Sammy for JR Smith Najera (expiring contract)...JR would give us a smooth stroking three point shooter and invigorate the roster with another young exciting player
darabzarrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can get more from sammy as an expiring contract, than from any potential trade.

I too would like to see Sammy in a winning environment, but not more than I would like to see the Clips in a better condition.

And buying out Cass won't make the clips get better.

KleisMan from Nuggetville would be decent... but who would be salary filler?

...its gonna be mighty hard to trade ol' sammy....
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
You can get more from sammy as an expiring contract, than from any potential trade.

I too would like to see Sammy in a winning environment, but not more than I would like to see the Clips in a better condition.

And buying out Cass won't make the clips get better.

KleisMan from Nuggetville would be decent... but who would be salary filler?

...its gonna be mighty hard to trade ol' sammy....

Sammy for Kleiza[or JR Smith] + Najera should work.

If not that, send him to Golden St. for their TPE + Lotto Protected #1, then on a side deal, make a swap of Aaron Williams + Future 2nd for POB.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

I think he will end up being traded to The Suns, Nuggets, Warriors or Mavs in that order. I highly doubt he will be bought out unless some sort of deal can be made similar to the Dickau for Jordan Deal but no way is he going to be given up for nothing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: