Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Would you rather die, or spend the rest of your life in maximum prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
What if you're delusional and have been raised on believing there is an AFterlife and it's a freedom that lifts you from all the burdens of physical Earth life and that every day and night you meditate 20 minutes a day on how you will die and imagine being torn apart and accepting that and choosing death?

I can't speculate on the decision making process of people that you're classifying as delusional.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Would you rather die, or spend the rest of your life in maximum prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
as long as I dont get raped, I rather live

This too. I could probably live through a couple rapes, but I certainly wouldn't want it to be a regular thing.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

No question, I'd rather die. I haven't done like any lengthy period in jail or anything but i was sent to population for about 12 hours while waiting to get bonded out and I would much rather see what's on the other side than be stuck in a cage the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Making proclamations about end of life decisions are easy... as long as they're hypothetical or pertaining to someone else.

Having been in a situation where my demise seemed imminent, I can tell you that a lot of dispassionate thought goes right out the window in the interest of self preservation.

When it comes down to nut cuttin' time, there's a whole different perspective.

This has a ring of truth to it, could you elaborate on the specifics of the situation that led you to come to that belief?
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold

This has a ring of truth to it, could you elaborate on the specifics of the situation that led you to come to that belief?

In 2000 I was diagnosed with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency www.alpha1.org .

Essentially, in its worst manifestation, it results in hereditary emphysema. I was early 40s, non-smoker, full blown COPD.

By 2004 I was listed for a double lung transplant. At 6'7", available donors are few and far between. Over the course of three years I had three false alarms: times when they felt they had found the lungs that I needed, but for some reason weren't suitable for transplant. In the last of those instances, I was laying in pre-op, IV's going, ready to be wheeled into surgery when they found a spot on the donor lungs. My lung function was less than 10%, I was more dead than alive, and went home prepared to die.

Early on in my illness I really didn't think I'd pursue transplant. Lots of issues of quality of life. As my condition worsened, and I was faced with the reality of my mortality, my attitude shifted dramatically. I would have tried anything to save my life.

I've been incredibly fortunate. My 5th anniversary will be 1/2/13. I'm healthy, living a relatively normal life. filled with love and hope for the future.

Currently, my best friend is dealing with stage 4 brain cancer. When I learned of the debilitating treatment he'll require just to prolong what will likely be a crappy quality of life, my first thought was "I'm not sure I'd go through all that...". Then I saw the fear in my friend's face, that desperate look I saw in the mirror a few years ago. I remembered others saying they didn't know if they'd fight like I did, putting up with a weekly therapy that left me sick, tired, and really was doing little to help.

I told him to fight like hell to the very last.

Thanks for asking. Become an organ and tissue donor today.

http://donatelife.net/
Old 12-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
In 2000 I was diagnosed with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency www.alpha1.org .

Essentially, in its worst manifestation, it results in hereditary emphysema. I was early 40s, non-smoker, full blown COPD.

By 2004 I was listed for a double lung transplant. At 6'7", available donors are few and far between. Over the course of three years I had three false alarms: times when they felt they had found the lungs that I needed, but for some reason weren't suitable for transplant. In the last of those instances, I was laying in pre-op, IV's going, ready to be wheeled into surgery when they found a spot on the donor lungs. My lung function was less than 10%, I was more dead than alive, and went home prepared to die.

Early on in my illness I really didn't think I'd pursue transplant. Lots of issues of quality of life. As my condition worsened, and I was faced with the reality of my mortality, my attitude shifted dramatically. I would have tried anything to save my life.

I've been incredibly fortunate. My 5th anniversary will be 1/2/13. I'm healthy, living a relatively normal life. filled with love and hope for the future.

Currently, my best friend is dealing with stage 4 brain cancer. When I learned of the debilitating treatment he'll require just to prolong what will likely be a crappy quality of life, my first thought was "I'm not sure I'd go through all that...". Then I saw the fear in my friend's face, that desperate look I saw in the mirror a few years ago. I remembered others saying they didn't know if they'd fight like I did, putting up with a weekly therapy that left me sick, tired, and really was doing little to help.

I told him to fight like hell to the very last.

Thanks for asking. Become an organ and tissue donor today.

http://donatelife.net/
Wow that's a pretty amazing story. makes me glad I put myself down as an organ right when i was given the chance to, I think most if not all states ask people right when they get their license.. which for most americans is fairly young/before their 20.

I guess when you look at it quality of life is relative. maybe jail in america wouldn't even be as bad as just normal everyday living for 3rd world/war-torn countries. Either way your point about how a question like this is moot until you actually get in that position yourself is valid.

Thanks for sharing your story. Honestly I don't know if i could go through an ordeal like that. You must have a very supporting wife/friends/family in order to come out as well as you seemed to have done.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
Wow that's a pretty amazing story. makes me glad I put myself down as an organ right when i was given the chance to, I think most if not all states ask people right when they get their license.. which for most americans is fairly young/before their 20.

I guess when you look at it quality of life is relative. maybe jail in america wouldn't even be as bad as just normal everyday living for 3rd world/war-torn countries. Either way your point about how a question like this is moot until you actually get in that position yourself is valid.

Thanks for sharing your story. Honestly I don't know if i could go through an ordeal like that. You must have a very supporting wife/friends/family in order to come out as well as you seemed to have done.

I am incredibly fortunate, and yes, my support team is incomparable.

Thanks for the kind words, and for being a donor. Nothing matches the willingness to give the gift of life.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

I don't know. There are people who can handle prison life and there are people who can't.. My biggest fear would obviously be bubba and the violence in the jail, I don't want to live every day fighting like an animal and I'd probably have to join up with the skinheads for protection

But if there's no violence and no threat of Mac Daddy Bubba I guess you can do plenty of things(?). Like someone else mentioned you can write a book that can last the test of times, mediate, become spiritual, try to lead a mutiny, etc..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
This too. I could probably live through a couple rapes, but I certainly wouldn't want it to be a regular thing.

Rape is for special occasions
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #24
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I'm too cute to go to prison. I would kill myself before spending life in prison.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I'm too cute to go to prison. I would kill myself before spending life in prison.

You wouldn't want to go Prison Break on that shit? Not even for the lulz before you die for eternity?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
detroitkid816
Great young streetballer

I've always felt i would grow fastest in jail, intellectually. it would pretty much force me to read books, which is something i avoid at all costs right now in the free world. there's a lot of sh!t i want to read right now that i just can't bring myself to consume for hours on end, when internet and tv are like, right there. in jail i'd have literally nothing else to do. if you really think about it, we spend the majority of our time finding or thinking of ways to pleasure ourselves anyway. at the end of your life, you might be personally satisfied for a multitude of reasons, but that doesn't say much about your "accomplishments" or what you've learned. i can live my life on a fuking cornfield, and know nothing, and be happy. if prison isn't as intellectually congesting as it probably is, one might be able to find some positive from it in some fashion under some context
detroitkid816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

Like George Washington Carver said, "give me liberty or give me death!".

I'll pass on being turned into man-pvssy.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Like George Washington Carver said, "give me liberty or give me death!".

Patrick Henry reportedly said that around 1775.

George Washington Carver was a scientist, botanist, educator, and inventor, most famous for his work with peanuts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: