Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Why first grade to 12th is completely useless, including parts of college ..

I'm talking about mental development, hell, I'll even go as far as saying college is useless too since you don't really learn sh*t and even the stuff you are supposed to know for your profession, you don't really know it until you do the job.

1. Education doesn't encourage thinking, it just wants you to repeat and memorize.

The creator of the curriculum you are learning said this, "Memorization is the lowest level of thinking." Soak in that thought for a second. When was the last time you actually have to use your creative thinking skills in class? If you are the typical student, pretty close to never. Nerds aren't really smart, they're just better at memorizing sh*t than you are. This is the reason why nerds rarely know crap about the real world; and if they are truly smart, it's prob because of some lame hobby (warcraft, magic the gathering, etc.) that they were able to gain from to apply to real world experience. For the most part, people who get straight As are generally dumb as f*ck.

2. You don't need 12 years of education to learn all the stuff you need to learn.

If education truly centers itself around real learning and not rote memorization, the amount of stuff you need to learn only requires 2-3 years. Once you truly understand a concept, you don't need to memorize it. This is something many people don't seem to fully grasp. Memorization is comprehension. The fact you need to learn a topic over and over, and then have it regurgitate again in your first 2 years of college, proves beyond a shadow of doubt you're not really learning sh*t. This is the reason why they have to beat it in your mind over and over again: you're not learning sh*t and they need to remind you a few years later, only to have you forget it again once you graduate.

3. Apprenticeship > Education.

Before education, we have a thing call apprenticeship. A child learns from a true professional; the professional teaches him EVERYTHING from writing, math, reading, and, the most important part of education, HOW TO DO THE JOB. The lowest form of apprenticeship only takes 2 years, while the most difficult job takes no more than 6 years (Doctor for example). A kid can start his apprenticeship at the age of 13 and be a doctor at 19. Nowadays a kid has to go through 12 years of education and the best job he'll prob get is Mcdonald's if he doesn't waste his life another 4 years. Sad, but true.

Default Re: Why first grade to 12th is completely useless, including parts of college ..

Whats really essential in todays society is knowing the right material for your career. However i do find shit that i learned from grade one to twelve helpful as part of growing up

Default Re: Why first grade to 12th is completely useless, including parts of college ..

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    Whats really essential in todays society is knowing the right material for your career. However i do find shit that i learned from grade one to twelve helpful as part of growing up
    How to be a better tool to society?

National High School Star

I agree a lot with 2 and 3, but at the same time I would say that the time I spent in public school wasn't completely useless. I disagree that memorization is useless or at least the way you are putting it. When you are young and first starting to learn things, it will take a while for full comprehension and complete understanding. Memorization is like training wheels, sometimes your mind has to spend a lot of time with something without full understanding before it starts seeing it at a deeper level. Rote memorization is actually helpful and your mind uses it to pick up on a lot of things, like learning a language or a technique in sports, etc.

But yes, looking back at my public school years I would say 90% of junior high and half of high school was complete garbage.

Banned

even university is pointless for many subjects. You learn more and become more employable doing a specialized engineering apprenticeship then you would with an engineering degree.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    I agree a lot with 2 and 3, but at the same time I would say that the time I spent in public school wasn't completely useless. I disagree that memorization is useless or at least the way you are putting it. When you are young and first starting to learn things, it will take a while for full comprehension and complete understanding. Memorization is like training wheels, sometimes your mind has to spend a lot of time with something without full understanding before it starts seeing it at a deeper level. Rote memorization is actually helpful and your mind uses it to pick up on a lot of things, like learning a language or a technique in sports, etc.

But yes, looking back at my public school years I would say 90% of junior high and half of high school was complete garbage.
    This is typically a misconception of true learning.

When you learn a concept or an idea and you fully grasp that idea, memorization is a natural process of it. It is hard to forget that concept once you truly know it. When you are being told over and over again what the concept is, this means you haven't fully comprehend it, thus you will only remember it for a bit to pass the test and throw the entire concept out the window once you are not required to memorize it anymore. That's not true learning.

Take photosynthesis for example: one of the easiest sh*t to learn in grade school, but many students struggle because they are left to memorize a bunch of sh*tty vocabs. It's basically a plant getting energy from the sun. Whoopti f*ckin doo .. how about teaching the kids the concepts first instead of having them memorize a bunch of fancy vocabs that rarely develope their mind?

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

OP trying to justify why he dropped out of school?

Why 1st grade to 12th is completely necessary: School leads to better jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Out_In_Utah
    OP trying to justify why he dropped out of school?

Why 1st grade to 12th is completely necessary: School leads to better jobs.
    Nice try.

But I finished my argument with apprenticeship, which is by far a better education when it comes to performing your job well.

Since this is a basketball forum, I will cite the sport: basketball is the highest form of apprenticeship. Most ball players learn through apprenticeship, now if you apply that to teachers, engineers, doctors, hell, even flipping burgers, and give them 12 years of it instead of memorizing a bunch of sh*t they don't truly understand, trust me, we'll have a hell of a lot more professionals than dead beat dads in society today.

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Nice try.

But I finished my argument with apprenticeship, which is by far a better education when it comes to performing your job well.

Since this is a basketball forum, I will cite the sport: basketball is the highest form of apprenticeship. Most ball players learn through apprenticeship, now if you apply that to teachers, engineers, doctors, hell, even flipping burgers, and give them 12 years of it instead of memorizing a bunch of sh*t they don't truly understand, trust me, we'll have a hell of a lot more professionals than dead beat dads in society today.
    And how many people have landed apprenticeships without completing a single grade between Kindergarten and 12th grade?

Quote Originally Posted by Out_In_Utah
    And how many people have landed apprenticeships without completing a single grade between Kindergarten and 12th grade?

Apprenticeship was the universal education before public education. Education was a means to create more worker drones and less professionals. Do you think we would have a Mcdonald's worker today if apprenticeship was the norm?

why learn how to read and write if you could just play ball all day

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24

Apprenticeship was the universal education before public education. Education was a means to create more worker drones and less professionals. Do you think we would have a Mcdonald's worker today if apprenticeship was the norm?
    it's the other way around and always was.

if you want a drone, you send them to work (apprenticeship) right away.

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13
    why learn how to read and write if you could just play ball all day
    The point of education is to get a job right?

Why are we spending 12 years not learning the job when we could be doing it? And seriously, if education is truly successful at teaching reading and writing, then why do we have so many illiterate people out there?

And personally I can give a sh*t if Iverson knows how to read and write. That's not relevant in the world of basketball: he does his job well and gets paid millions for it. Same goes for any profession, if you can do your job well, I can give two flying f*cks if you've never read moby d*ck.

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13
    it's the other way around and always was.

if you want a drone, you send them to work (apprenticeship) right away.
    Nope.

Apprenticeship creates professionals out of any student. It goes to reason if you learn a job from a true professional at a young age for years, you are going to know that job in the back of your head by the time you are a young adult and ready to work, in fact, you will know it so well it'll stay with you for the rest of your life rendering you completely unemployed because you have a skill worth putting on your resume.

12 years of education and yet the best these kids can come up with is flipping burgers at Mcdonalds. Get the f*ck out of here.

This topic isn't really a button pusher as you'd like to think it is. Anyone who has been through high school can tell you that the current United States education system is pretty flawed and kids don't actually learn anything aside from basic skills and social behavior. I can't say for sure about the science, but a large focus on memorization could be a good thing. Maybe not an optimal strategy though.

School before college is geared towards college prep. They build you up so that you are able to take the lowest level classes in college. They do repeat early topics in college, but that's because colleges cannot assume that every student is up to par. Not every high school has the same standards and there is no easy way of coming up with a halfway point in which all students can be stimulated.

Apprenticeships are rare these days for a majority of desirable jobs unless you are talking about internships, but that requires at least a participation in a college these days.

School does lead to better jobs only because more jobs are requiring candidates to have higher degrees, when it's probably not necessary. Since more kids are going to college, companies have more defined "talent" from which to choose for their entry level positions.