Default Hand Checking in streetball?

Is hand checking acceptable in streetball or is it fouling? For example when a player is driving to the hoop can you have the back of your hand on his waist while hes driving, not pushing him, just keeping it there to stay with him.

Default Re: Hand Checking in streetball?

Yes handchecking is allowed in streetball. Most players won't call a hand on the hip, and if they do, they only look like chumps.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by EoJ
    Is hand checking acceptable in streetball or is it fouling? For example when a player is driving to the hoop can you have the back of your hand on his waist while hes driving, not pushing him, just keeping it there to stay with him.
    The way you described is perfectly fine. However, folks often have different definitions of hand checking. If a player is using a hand or forearm as a means to push me and displace me on a drive, I'll sometimes call a foul, but that's usually reserved for the most extreme situations.

Typically, I'll let most hand and arm contact slide. It's only when things go above and beyond, where a defender becomes singularly reliant upon the push or displacement in order to prevent me from getting to the rim or moving from point A to point B.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

My old rule of thumb was that if the hand was on the front of my body, it was my job to get by it, once it to the back half, like if I beat someone baseline and they still have a hand on my hip, then it becomes a foulable offense, becaue they're really just pushing you under the hoop. But when I was playing I really didn't call much of anything.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Dude, don't you have refs when you play pick-up games at the park?

Handchecking with get you a technical bro.

Two techs, and you gotta wash the winners car.

no hand checking but if it's really competitive ive seen guys be ok when dudes call it as long as its both ways

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Sure hand checking is allowed. But there is a difference, we're not talking about pushing or grabbing. Just placing a forearm or wrist on a player.

Learning to shoot layups

Everyone is going to handcheck you in the park in some form or another. Gotta get your handle up and deal with it.

National High School Star

Where I play, the no fouls for stuff like that. You just gotta learn to play through it and use your body and finish.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Either lower your shoulder into the dude if he keeps doing it or use your off arm to knock his away when he tries it. I do the latter all the time if someone keeps trying to hold my hip as I run by.. just slap that shit away.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Sure hand checking is allowed. But there is a difference, we're not talking about pushing or grabbing. Just placing a forearm or wrist on a player.
    There's a term for that. Arm-checking.

Hand checking uses the palm and fist.

Decent playground baller

dam everyone hand checks me lol, im fast, but im not that strong, sucks to get hand checked all the time zz